Old 10-30-2015, 02:25 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Some of the CB's have the designated RV/Bus parking in the rear of their store. Generally I found it to be somewhat off-level. The length of the designated RV/bus parking spot is shorter than the combined length of my 32' AS + TV making getting in and out difficult. One CB I stayed at was at the edge of a large shopping center, so I parked in the shopping center right across the sidewalk from the CB.

On one trip heading west to AZ, we stopped for the night at exit 11 of I-10 outside El Paso TX, and parked at the Walmart. There is a Famous Dave's BBQ right there, and we walked over to check it out. That was our first of many visits to Famous Dave's BBQ's. Generally when I plan on a stop for the night I consult with Yelp for a place to eat, and have had several winners over the years.

1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 02:32 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
There are so many apps available that weren't even a gleam in papa's eye 9 years ago... Pick one and use it. On the way back from Alumalina I stopped in Colfax to have OODM work on my water heater, and found a highly recommended Walmart about six miles from their door. The manager asked that I park behind the stores - next to the Staples where there were 4 big rigs. It was clean, quiet and felt very safe. Boy did I need the rest and nearly overslept my appointment.

That app also told me that both Cracker Barrels were without overnight parking opportunities. (I too have taken six spaces at the far end of the lot, had an early breakfast and departed as the bulk of customers were starting to come in.)

And do consider joining the Moose or other fraternal organizations which offer overnight accommodations - some with water and 15 amp service.

Paula

Old 10-30-2015, 03:42 PM   #45
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
We'll add Famous Dave's BBQ to the list for places to try. A Walmart next to a good restaurant is a win worth being an overnight stay.

APPS - still learning to use that new fangled magic in a box thing. Mixed results with RV Parky, but like the concept.

Parking in back of a Walmart is a new idea. Most of the ones we see have the extra parking out front. Was this a solution to achieve a low profile or just a unique approach for this Walmart's parking configuration?
Old 10-30-2015, 07:46 PM   #46
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
A Walmart next to a good restaurant is a win worth being an overnight stay.
A church within easy walking distance of a good restaurant is even better.

A former coworker of mine, now sadly deceased, traveled extensively in his RV during his all-too-brief vacation time. In the interest of arriving at his destination as soon as possible, he stayed on the road as long as he was physically able, and then looked for a church parking lot to stay overnight. He said that he was never once turned away, never had to deal with riffraff, and never had a problem with local law enforcement rousting him out of bed to move him along, in over twenty years. Many of them even allowed him to run an extension cord so he could plug into 15amp power and allowed him to use a hose to top off his fresh tank. In exchange he always dropped a few bucks in the collection plate, of course…
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:29 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
The whole purpose of grits is as a delivery medium for salt, butter and, if you are lucky, cheese and shrimp.
No. No. No. I grew up in a grit and biscuit eating southern family. I was always told a real southerner never puts sugar or butter on their grits- to be served steamy hot and plain!

I do have to tell you that my grandmother made biscuits to die for. People could not stop eating them. They were about 2 inches in diameter and always moist and perfect buttermilk style. I have NEVER had a better biscuit. No one else in the family can make them! She would fill a three gallon basket with them each morning and they would ALL BE GONE. The trick is dough consistency and temperature. She struggled with perfecting them when they got her an electric oven when her ancient white gas oven was replaced. She was an amazing cook; and I am picky. Clove Ham, Eggs, raisin gravy, homemade preserves and biscuits. When grandpa cooked it was squirrel or fish or deer and some taters- interesting but uh, not so good to me, though I liked the fish- sometimes.

I stayed this summer several times at the Pilot Flying J. I used the database from their website to determine which ones offered overnight RV stays. They have an RV area in their parking lot and a Truck area in a separate place. It was nice except for the one in Florence, KY area. All night long people were pulling up beside me and doing all sorts of things. About 1am a guy pulled up beside my trailer and started running an impact gun changing tires on a trailered Corvette. Crazy.

The stove like she had.
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2015, 10:18 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
APPS - I have several. However Yelp is all feedback from users. If the listing has a couple of negatives, don't waste your time going to it. We found a small ma-and-pa BBQ off the beaten path that was fantastic through Yelp.

As for church parking, I'm reminded of what happened to a friend from our boondocking group who always looks for church parking. One fine afternoon he was parked in a church parking lot, deck chairs out with a glass of wine in hand when a number of cars came into the lot to park. He casually ambled over to the folks who had arrived (glass of wine in hand) and asked what the occasion was - turned out it was an AA meeting.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:27 PM   #49
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
A church, the local Moose Lodge, and a Flying J are all interesting options. Did not know that the Flying J had separate areas for RV and trucks. That would help the noise considerably. We'll need to check that out. The Moose option is one we have considered, but not wanting to participate in their programs at this time, we have some reluctance in using their resources. This may be an uninformed perspective as paying for meals and drinks might prove to be positive cash flow for the lodge. We have some relatives who regularly donate time to church housing projects and they often spend time at churches on their trips. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:15 PM   #50
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
When we were in New England for the Foliage turn, we saw several churches that advertised bean suppers on Saturday night. Sounded like a good way to meet the locals, but we gave the menu a pass.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:27 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
He casually ambled over to the folks who had arrived (glass of wine in hand) and asked what the occasion was - turned out it was an AA meeting.
That is FUNNY!

Quote:
Did not know that the Flying J had separate areas for RV and trucks. That would help the noise considerably. We'll need to check that out.
Just remember that not all Flying J locations have RV parking. Check the website. I put the file below as of today's date.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx location_amenities.xlsx (105.4 KB, 40 views)
Old 10-31-2015, 06:15 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
I personally feel a grit is a flavorless medium one must dump sugar or jelly in order to taste like anything.....
Don't understand grits!

Sugar and jelly on grits? You must be confused and thinking of some other food. 🙀

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:20 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
When we were in New England for the Foliage turn, we saw several churches that advertised bean suppers on Saturday night. Sounded like a good way to meet the locals, but we gave the menu a pass.

Southern boy here that courtesy of the Navy lived in Maine for most of 20 years. I lived in the small village of Brunswick and went to all the Saturday night Beanos I could. It was lots more than just beans. Great New England home cooking courtesy of the local ladies.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 11:01 PM   #54
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
AW - there is something quite wonderful about sharing food prepared by friends, family.....and truly good cooks. Thank you very much for the clarification of what New England Bean Suppers really are. Wish I had known this when we were there. Pat
Old 10-31-2015, 11:34 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
Maitland , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Southern boy here that courtesy of the Navy lived in Maine for most of 20 years. I lived in the small village of Brunswick and went to all the Saturday night Beanos I could. It was lots more than just beans. Great New England home cooking courtesy of the local ladies.
I had orders to Maine when I decided not to re-up. While I never regreted the decision, I guess there are some things I missed. Of course, I hope to have the opportunity again soon to experience those things.
Old 11-01-2015, 02:42 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
The coastal waters of the Northeast are remarkable, from Cape Cod all the way up to the Canadian maritime provinces. A trip to Prince Edward Island in the 90's was an eye-opener, as PEI has some of the warmest ocean water north of Cape Hatteras NC, due to the Gulf Stream meandering nearby before it crosses the Atlantic toward Ireland. [Did you know there a palm trees in southern Ireland because of this?]