Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2015, 08:37 AM   #21
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I personally feel a grit is a flavorless medium one must dump sugar or jelly in order to taste like anything.....
Don't understand grits!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:48 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
It's just part of the 4 southern style cooking food groups. Starch, fat, pit barbecued meat, and beer.

Yeah, I can get away with that joke because I lived there😄😄😄

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:51 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
The whole purpose of grits is as a delivery medium for salt, butter and, if you are lucky, cheese and shrimp. They shouldn't have any flavor of their own and should be smooth, even creamy, to properly serve as a "canvas" for the more flavorful...

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:55 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
I personally feel a grit is a flavorless medium one must dump sugar or jelly in order to taste like anything.....
Don't understand grits!
Try them mixed with an egg cooked over easy. You will get it then!
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:57 AM   #25
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Indeed, I was in Savannah a couple months ago. A friend took up out to eat at a fish house where I had shrimp and cheese grits.... Overall something g I'd eat again, unlike the stuff I got at Cracker Barrell
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:02 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Corona , California
According to my wife, Cracker Barrel serves the best grits. She usually eats my serving as well....problem solved.

Old 10-24-2015, 10:30 AM   #27
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Don't understand grits!
I agree! Why on Earth would anyone eat grits if they could have cornbread instead?
Old 10-24-2015, 11:31 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Amen to the cornbread or really good southern-style biscuits. My wife is an proven expert at baking scratch biscuits both plain and cheddar.....

Old 10-24-2015, 11:42 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Don't understand grits!
No!
Absolutely not!
You don't put sugar on grits!
Salt, pepper, and butter-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 01:55 PM   #30
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
The other big win we found on our Fall trip was when we stopped in Winnemucca, NV on the way home. There are several RV parks that are located next to I80. Suspect they are good parks, but the noise of an Interstate is a big negative for us. As we entered town from the North, we saw a sign just before the KOA that directed us to a park away from the highway. We were looking for a place to eat before we stopped for the night and drove through town with an eye out for something besides fast food. Not finding anything appealing and no park that tripped our fancy, we stopped on the West side of town and looked up the place where we had planned to stay when we passed through Winnemucca at the start of our trip. It was the place with the sign on the other side of town, New Frontier RV Park. We drove back and signed in. It's likely the best place we stayed on the trip. Tile showers and toilet facility, generally quiet, and a PA rate of $18 for a back in site at the rear of the park where it was quiet. And to top it all off, we walked over to Wingers at the front of the park and had a great dinner. It was a bit noisy from the sports bar, but the food was worth the disruption. The park drives are paved. The sites are gravel, there is a dog park at the back, and someday the trees will be decent size. It's a bit of a walk from the PA sites in back to the toilets in the main building, but not having to walk on gravel helps considerably. Best of all we met a new Airstream couple parked in a pull through site at the front of the park. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:38 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

I'm sorry, but sugar on grits!? Grits were great breakfast food when I was growing up, and still are. We usually had/have them with just salt, pepper and butter. Sometimes we were afforded red eye gravy. Really good. They have also become a base for numerous other dishes, akin to cous cous, polenta, rice, potatoes... Not too much taste but provide an excellent texture and base for other foods. I cook them with dishes and have had them in restaurants from the South to Chicago (ie big jones https://bigjoneschicago.com/ ). Some of my friends make cheese and grits, but that's akin to inviting cardiac arrest, but never sugar on grits; definitely not a southern thing.

I've only stopped at CB when I would pick up my grandmother to bring her home for a visit. We'd order and the waitress would start to walk away and I'd have to stop her and put in my order. My grandmother was 95, weighed about 80lbs, but loved her breakfast with all the greasy trimmings. Thanks to CB for the courtesy.
StrmyWeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:46 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
We found folks parked in the RV spots, but in our limited experience we did find space to park. Rest areas segregate trucks and RVs from cars, but with all the trucks on our interstates, they need every parking space they can find. In contrast, car parking is generally under used. With a bit of consideration, we came to the decision that parking on the car side was a better solution. Extending that approach a bit, parking in a set of car slots at a restaurant, when there are no RV slots available, does not seem to be a horrible act given some care in choosing the location.

edit: of course our rig is only 41 ft and not difficult to jackknife.

"In contrast, car parking is generally under used. With a bit of consideration, we came to the decision that parking on the car side was a better solution."

i used this idea saturday night. there were two other rv's there already and it worked out fine. thanks for the tip!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:58 AM   #33

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Extending that approach a bit, parking in a set of car slots at a restaurant, when there are no RV slots available, does not seem to be a horrible act given some care in choosing the location.

edit: of course our rig is only 41 ft and not difficult to jackknife.
Not so easy in an Airstream Interstate pulling a toad, because I can't back up. Unless I want to unhitch and park the van in one space and the car in another, which is more trouble than it's worth for just grabbing a bite to eat…
Old 10-26-2015, 01:33 PM   #34
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Not so easy in an Airstream Interstate pulling a toad, because I can't back up. Unless I want to unhitch and park the van in one space and the car in another, which is more trouble than it's worth for just grabbing a bite to eat…
Pro - not being able to backup is a pain. And it really is too much trouble to drop the tow for a meal. Have you found any restaurants that have good parking for RVs? We would appreciate the tip.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:14 PM   #35

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Pro - not being able to backup is a pain. And it really is too much trouble to drop the tow for a meal. Have you found any restaurants that have good parking for RVs? We would appreciate the tip.
You can try this link…
Restaurants With RV Parking - RV and Traveler Directory
It's not foolproof because sometimes the RV parking at a given restaurant is full of other vehicles, just like Cracker Barrel, but it's a start.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:03 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

Francisco , Indiana
Cracker Barrel

We have never stayed all night at a CB, but we have no trouble parking to eat. We have a 30' Classic. We just go to one of the further parking areas and pull in cross ways to the lines. Never had a problem doing this. Spoke to a manager about the rv spots being taken by cars and he said it was impossible to keep them out and to just park where ever we could and how ever we needed to.
I always angle the front of the truck out a little so I think I could maneuver out if someone parked real close.
Works for us give it a try sometime.
Hickory
hickory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 03:11 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The RV spots at Cracker Barrel are not quite long enough for my rig-
The front bumper of the pickup is beyond the curb and the rear bumper of the trailer is beyond the curb.
Sometimes we show up at a Cracker Barrel undergoing renovation. The construction crews have their equipment in the RV parking.
Without designated RV parking, my rig takes 5-6 spaces.
You gotta do what you gotta do.
Sometimes we eat lunch in the trailer at a rest area.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:01 PM   #38
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pro, like that link. Got to try one of those Country Pride Restaurants and see if they are close to the CBs.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:39 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
It's just part of the 4 southern style cooking food groups. Starch, fat, pit barbecued meat, and beer.

Yeah, I can get away with that joke because I lived there������

I bet you miss the warm southern breezes (the Santa Annas don't count), trees, four seasons and real bar-b-que...I know I did when I lived in CA....
ps I did find grits at the grocery store

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 05:27 PM   #40
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Honestly, I can live without the torrential rain, cold winters, and tornadoes in Northern Alabama. Our family started in Southern California, San Diego, to be exact.

That 17 years spoiled us for anywhere else. We've moved around a lot, but a short visit to San Diego made my daughter want to be a "California Girl".

We've been here ever since. I like visiting the South in the cooler weather, but I'm most happy here...in SoCal.