Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-08-2010, 08:37 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
A new generation of Airstreamer... what to do?!

My husband and I are expecting our first child in April and we are going to have make some changes to the trailer to accommodate traveling with a child. We have only ever traveled with our 4 dogs (and yes they will still be coming camping with us).

Does anyone have suggestions for Airstreaming with an infant or trailer mods they have made to make everything work better??

I assume the biggest change will be the shear quantity of extra stuff to bring- diapers, bathtub, bottles, ect. We are considering the "baby hammocks" i see advertised and suspending it above the gaucho from 2 eyebolts in the crown frame piece.

We are going to be using our '61 Overlander!
Old 01-08-2010, 11:16 AM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Congratulations on your firstborn!

You, your spouse, and baby makes three sounds fine, but I'm sure curious to hear how you work out getting four dogs in there too!

Maybe if you traded some dogs in on smaller models...?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sign in a grocery store.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	93773   Click image for larger version

Name:	yikes.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	93774  

Old 01-08-2010, 01:27 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Erie , Pennsylvania
You might think this is nuts but I had a similar problem. Except for I had twins!!! Anyway we ran out of bed space real quick. I spent a lot of time and a small fortune restoring my trailer so I didnt want to drill anything or make anything permanent. I ended up building a bunk bed out of pvc pipe. It fits above the back guacho like a loft. It can be broken down and stored away when not in use. With the total structure it is sturdy enough to hold a grown man. You might not catch me up there but a kid will fit just fine. I then purchased a twin single futon mattress from walmart for about $80 bucks. This is also something that can be rolled up and shoved in a closet when not in use. Just a thought it was easy to assemble and very sturdy yet light weight. I can take some pics and send them on if your interested.
rollingbubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:37 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Pics would be great!!
Old 01-08-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
Get one of those portable playpens. I think they call them pack and play. There should be room for it in the living area. If the trailer has a bath tub you don't need an extra one. When baby is bigger then I would design a bunk or something. By that point you will need the playpen for #2. Babies don't take up as much space as people think. Most people carry way more "stuff" than they really need. If you think babies bring alot of stuff, wait till you have teenagers!
mcair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:42 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
1976 25' Caravanner
trenton , Missouri
This is great that you will be taking baby. You got to "aluminumize" em ' early!
bimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingbubel View Post
You might think this is nuts but I had a similar problem. Except for I had twins!!! Anyway we ran out of bed space real quick. I spent a lot of time and a small fortune restoring my trailer so I didnt want to drill anything or make anything permanent. I ended up building a bunk bed out of pvc pipe. It fits above the back guacho like a loft. It can be broken down and stored away when not in use. With the total structure it is sturdy enough to hold a grown man. You might not catch me up there but a kid will fit just fine. I then purchased a twin single futon mattress from walmart for about $80 bucks. This is also something that can be rolled up and shoved in a closet when not in use. Just a thought it was easy to assemble and very sturdy yet light weight. I can take some pics and send them on if your interested.
I too would love to see some pix of this as my 10 yr old will start bringing friends along pretty soon. we're in a 23' Safari w/gaucho
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
1st Of all congrats April ~a baby in April, what an awesome time to have a baby, springtime, oh what a summer you will have! I have Irish twins, under age 2.

You will need the pack in play for the campground, and also for baby to sleep and to keep the dogs from licking him/her while he/she sleeps. Unsure of safety of hammock, you will most of the time be holding baby or have baby on blanket in the shade at the campsite. Bring also a walker (aka whirly-gig) for outside mealtimes when strong enough to hold head (a few months old).

Take pics! Lots of 'em!
Jezibels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:34 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
Having RV'd with litle ones it can be difficult and fun.

First you need the pack n play, a pack n play with all the bells and whistles bassinette, changer, music lights, diaper wipes holder etc. Next measure where you will put it. In our 30ft Classic we had plenty of space you might not be that lucky. We found after measuring that if you removed the dinette table from the wall you could fit the smaller travel version pack n play in that space on the floor between the seat cushions. I loved my Baby Trend, but Graco makes the smaller size.

Second you need a diaper genie. Not the other one that uses plastic bags but a Diaper Genie (Diaper Genie 2) You want a secure lid and bags to keep smells and your dogs OUT. The other one is nice but not as secure, esp where dogs are concerned.

Third How handy are you? See if you can take out your current sink and exchange it for a deeper single basin version. That 2 inch lip in the shower on the floor does not make a marm easy comfy place to bathe a baby. Having a large deep sink works best and once they out grow the sink it's easy at bath times in the shower when they can sit up by themsleves. If this is too much for you skip the tub and other big apparatuses entirely and use only those large baby sponge bed-bath things for bath time.
Especially for Baby Under the Sea Turtle Sponge - Especially for Baby - Babies "R" Us

Fourth you need a good stroller actually a great stroller. Get a good Jogger like a BOB, Phil and Teds. skip the cheap junk and ESP the "travel systems" The BOB may look big but it folds smaller then your average travel system stroller, and with it's tires you can go over any terrain smoothly rocks, sand, camp roads, and they turn on a dime. Add the Infant carrier adapter and it will work for you for years.

Carry a wash line clothes pins and detergent. Washing stuff in the sink sucks but sometimes you think how'd he get 4 outfits dirty in one day?

Buy some flamless candles, they last for hours give good light and work as great night lights even all night long to see the bathroom kitchen even a sleepying baby.

Hide extra keys outside of the trailer, This can be controversial but I'd rather have stuff stolen then to have my baby locked inside my trailer while I'm outside.

Rethink what you NEED. You'll find that in a small space that in all reality you don't need the bottle rack drier when bottles nipples etc can dry on a clean towel. Buy in bulk from costco if you can. Carrying extra wipes without the big plastic boxes works better. This helps in many situations.

Lastly take lots of pictures.

I'll probaly think of more.... Hope this helps

Amber wife to Steve mom to boys Daniel and Ethan
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Steve Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Hi.

I loaned my niece my trailer when I was going out of town for 2 weeks - she and hubby's first baby was walking but not yet 2 at the time.

We took down the dinette table - and actually popped it off of the wall bracket, flipped the table upside down, and put it on the floor. The portable crib fit in the space like a glove. All the rest of the baby's stuff fit under the crib or the benches. It worked fine, because they were able to eat off of a tray table or outside.

They got a cheap vacation... and my now 4 year old grand nephew camps with me even when I'm visiting them and "camping" in their driveway.

Airstreamers - get 'em young.

Paula
Old 01-08-2010, 06:49 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
First thing you'll need to do is get rid of that pesky, tiny Bambi. We'll take that off your hands for you.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:33 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
Blacksburg , Virginia
Congratulations!!! As my husband and I are expecting our first child in July, I've also been giving this a lot of thought! Great recommendations so far. There is another Airstreaming couple that are currently traveling with a toddler and an infant. Their website is Mali Mish - An Airstream Travel Blog. and they may have some recommendations as well. You might want to check out their site and maybe contact them.

Look forward to pictures and hearing about any changes you may make to the Airstream.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:49 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Our son is 3, and was the reason we sold our motorhome and got our first airstream. We found the cabinet latches designed to keep cabinets from coming open from Airstream were also very difficult for little ones to open. We installed an extra sliding bolt latch on the screen door to keep him from leaning on the screen and falling out. We used a play'n'pack portible playpen/crib in the isle at night, which easily folded away and stored under the goucho (or in the tub) during the day. He's graduated to sleeping on the goucho now, but our second little one is due this spring, so here we go again.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:29 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Heywood View Post
Having RV'd with litle ones it can be difficult and fun.

First you need the pack n play, a pack n play with all the bells and whistles bassinette, changer, music lights, diaper wipes holder etc. Next measure where you will put it. In our 30ft Classic we had plenty of space you might not be that lucky. We found after measuring that if you removed the dinette table from the wall you could fit the smaller travel version pack n play in that space on the floor between the seat cushions. I loved my Baby Trend, but Graco makes the smaller size.

Second you need a diaper genie. Not the other one that uses plastic bags but a Diaper Genie (Diaper Genie 2) You want a secure lid and bags to keep smells and your dogs OUT. The other one is nice but not as secure, esp where dogs are concerned.

Third How handy are you? See if you can take out your current sink and exchange it for a deeper single basin version. That 2 inch lip in the shower on the floor does not make a marm easy comfy place to bathe a baby. Having a large deep sink works best and once they out grow the sink it's easy at bath times in the shower when they can sit up by themsleves. If this is too much for you skip the tub and other big apparatuses entirely and use only those large baby sponge bed-bath things for bath time.
Especially for Baby Under the Sea Turtle Sponge - Especially for Baby - Babies "R" Us

Fourth you need a good stroller actually a great stroller. Get a good Jogger like a BOB, Phil and Teds. skip the cheap junk and ESP the "travel systems" The BOB may look big but it folds smaller then your average travel system stroller, and with it's tires you can go over any terrain smoothly rocks, sand, camp roads, and they turn on a dime. Add the Infant carrier adapter and it will work for you for years.

Carry a wash line clothes pins and detergent. Washing stuff in the sink sucks but sometimes you think how'd he get 4 outfits dirty in one day?

Buy some flamless candles, they last for hours give good light and work as great night lights even all night long to see the bathroom kitchen even a sleepying baby.

Hide extra keys outside of the trailer, This can be controversial but I'd rather have stuff stolen then to have my baby locked inside my trailer while I'm outside.

Rethink what you NEED. You'll find that in a small space that in all reality you don't need the bottle rack drier when bottles nipples etc can dry on a clean towel. Buy in bulk from costco if you can. Carrying extra wipes without the big plastic boxes works better. This helps in many situations.

Lastly take lots of pictures.

I'll probaly think of more.... Hope this helps

Amber wife to Steve mom to boys Daniel and Ethan

Wow- some great suggestions so far!!! Keep them all coming too!

There should be enough room in our living area for a pack n' play. We are already registered for the BOB (we were at the San Diego Zoo this year and that stroller was by far the most popular choice- everyone had one). Thanks for the heads up about the Diaper Genie vs. the other brand- logged in to the registry this morning to switch those! Dogs sure do like anything stinky!

Amazon.com: Hushamok Organic Hammock, Natural

I hope the link above works- this is what I meant by "hammock" they are becoming very popular and supposedly the baby sleeps better too!

Already leave an extra key outside- locked ourselves out of our 2005 Intl CCD once and had to break a window to get back in- glass everywhere and of course we broke the window that cost 3 times as much to replace!!! Lesson learned there!

We have traveled quite a bit in the '61 Overlander (done a 3 week trip with the 4 dogs 2 years ago) and I have never filled all the storage areas- so as long as we maintain a "less is more" approach than I think we will be okay with all the bottles and what nots!

I already take LOTS of photos and am looking forward to an excuse to finally get a video camera!

Keep the suggestions rolling- we appreciate it!!
Old 01-09-2010, 08:42 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...nts-41352.html
redstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:25 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Erie , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotochop View Post
I too would love to see some pix of this as my 10 yr old will start bringing friends along pretty soon. we're in a 23' Safari w/gaucho
I will post you some pics of the pvc loft in a few days. I need to head over to storage and work the AS probably on Monday. Hopefully the parking lot will be plowed by then. Living in Erie and at the mercy of snow right now. Ill post them on this thread soon.
rollingbubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:59 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Mount Vernon , Kentucky
The pack and play or similiar device is a very good choice for sleeping. Have fun with the little one.
94Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:51 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons View Post
We installed an extra sliding bolt latch on the screen door to keep him from leaning on the screen and falling out. We used a play'n'pack portible playpen/crib in the isle at night, which easily folded away
This is exactly what we do. We have a 3 year old and an 18 month old now, but when we first started camping in the AS, the kids were 2 and 11 months. They were both in diapers at that time too. I just have a plastic tub that's about the size of a shoe box. The diapers as well as the wipes and the various butt creams go in that and I keep it on the ledge behind our front gaucho. It's nice because I can easily grab it and toss it from the trailer to the TV whenever we're heaving out. I keep the main diaper stash above the closet and refill my plastic tub from there.

Honestly, you'll be surprised at how little you really need for a baby. We took our first son tent camping for a week on the French Riviera when he was 4 months old. It was one of the easiest vacations we have ever been on. Some diapers, some wipes, a few bottles and my Pump in Style with the 12-volt adapter and battery pack, and we were ready to go.

The only other things I can think to suggest are a nice all-terrain stroller and a good baby carrier. I love a good carrier when the baby is about 9 months and younger. After that they get a little too heavy to carry around for hours on end and a stroller is nice. Campgrounds and farm fields aren't exactly stroller friendly, so get one that can handle the rough terrain. We have an ABC Design, which we love, but I don't think they're sold in the USA.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:53 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Congratulations on your first child - awesome! We have camped with children for years, including tent camping, and including our kids' friends. The simplest advice I could offer: triple the amount of stuff and the time it takes you think any activity should require.

While our children have outgrown being seen with us much less camping, we have enjoyed many terrific years camping with our kids - I am sure you will feel the same way!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:08 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Camping with kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotochop View Post
Question: Why wouldn't you put the 10 year old and his pal outside in a tent? Just asking, that is what we did with our two kids, but we live out west. Are there too many bugs to sleep outdoors where you camp?
FlashSilver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby, family, modifications