Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2012, 08:57 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
A Mouse Tale

We have been very fortunate in avoiding mice in our campers since 1985. We live in a very rural area and have had mice enter our home in the past but never in any of our campers.

This past weekend that all changed. We spent several days in a large urban area commercial campground. We awoke on day two to a collection of mouse droppings on the kitchen counter top. I actually have two full boxes of Cab Fresh placed in strategic locations throughout our AS to thwart the attack of the demon mice. I have given Cab Fresh all of the credit for our avoidance of mice in the past. Shows you how little I know.

On night three I place three bags of Cab Fresh on the kitchen counter. The next morning we awoke to mouse droppings surrounding the Cab Fresh bags. Needless to say, I am no longer a supporter of Cab Fresh to prevent mice. I need to send an account of this event to the makers of Cab Fresh.

We are back home now. The mouse (mice) caught a ride with us (new droppings on the counter top). I completely emptied the AS of all things a mouse could possibly eat (I think). With the exception of the bait on the 2 dozen traps I have set. My wife suggested a visit to the AS by our family tom cat. Perhaps he deserves the credit I have been giving Cab Fresh all of these years. He's been around for 13 mouse free years.

I've got my fingers crossed for successful hunting for Boris (the cat) or his 24 stationary mechanical counter parts.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I would bet the cat would make quick work of that mousey.

Ugh, mice!

Maggie
Old 05-09-2012, 06:02 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Here's an idea… Since you've already removed all of the edibles, except for the trailer components that a mouse might chew, you might try flea-bombing the trespassing rodent. I mean the stuff that you set in the middle of the room, trigger, and vacate the premises for the next several hours. If you look on a can of the stuff, it clearly says that it's toxic for people and pets to breathe the stuff. A mouse, with its tiny lungs, would be even more susceptible to the vapors. Just remove your dishes and cookware first to avoid having to wash them all afterward, and open every door and panel that is openable before setting off the sprayer.

Plus, if the mice came aboard with fleas hitching a ride, two birds with one stone.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
When I purchased my Bambi II I noticed old mice poop and other mystery stuff in just about every hidden space that I looked at. When doing a deep cleaning I found much more plus a mouse skull. The only problem I have had recently are roaches and a few little ants. I bombed the interior and have not had any reoccurrence (yet). Good luck with finding your pest.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
The traps are empty after 36 hours. No new droppings to be seen. Maybe he decided to jump ship.

The bug bombs are a good option if I see any new signs of the mouse and no action among the traps.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
Can you use those bombs with the smoke detectors or is it the CO detector? i thought i read posts where folks said the alarm went crazy just from cleaning fumes or hair spray. Im a newbie so just checking.
Thanks
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:59 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLNomad View Post
Can you use those bombs with the smoke detectors or is it the CO detector? i thought i read posts where folks said the alarm went crazy just from cleaning fumes or hair spray. Im a newbie so just checking.
Thanks
LilNomad
Since you will not be inside while the bug bomb is doing its stuff, there should be no harm in pulling the detector's battery for the duration. Then tape a piece of Saran Wrap over it to keep the residue from building up inside it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner3 View Post
The traps are empty after 36 hours. No new droppings to be seen. Maybe he decided to jump ship.
Or maybe the snakes ate him…
Old 05-11-2012, 06:49 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
My smoke and CO detectors are attached by industrial strength Velcro. I removed them from the trailer when I set off the bomb.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:36 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Several years ago, we had a mouse problem in the rig. Not surprisingly, it was during the winter. Trap, trap, trap, trap, trap. Cheap, smooth peanut butter worked the best. You really have cram it into the recesses of the trip, and even then they could sometimes lick out the peanut butter without getting squished. They have amazingly long tongues, I guess.

I might add that those many little mice were going to serve a purpose in death. You skin each one, pin its pelt to the wall, and let it dry. It would take a while, but after some intense trapping, skinning and drying, you'll have enough for a nice fur coat. Of course, it would look kind of patched together, but surely warm in the winter if the sewing is done with proper care. Alas, I discovered the entry point well before I was able to achieve the ultimate goal.

Lynn
Old 05-11-2012, 08:42 AM   #10
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
The hides would make great cell phone and smart phone holders for ladies. Soft, to protect that smart phone or tablet. Maybe someone could start a collection service of hides to start this lucrative side-line. They make purses and boots out of snake skin, and they are big sellers, why not?
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
I might add that those many little mice were going to serve a purpose in death. You skin each one, pin its pelt to the wall, and let it dry. It would take a while, but after some intense trapping, skinning and drying, you'll have enough for a nice fur coat. Of course, it would look kind of patched together, but surely warm in the winter if the sewing is done with proper care. Alas, I discovered the entry point well before I was able to achieve the ultimate goal.

Lynn
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:00 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
Ear Muffs?
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:04 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Ok, ok, I'll admit. The mousefur coat was going to be for my dearest wife. And she commanded me to stop the operation, so I patched the entry hole instead.

Lynn
Old 05-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Had a pest control guy at my neighbors house last week. Since they were out of town I let the guy in. He was putting out mouse traps, boxes with sticky stuff inside. He told me the the best bait he has ever found is Rolo candy. He told me that his company has the contract as many quick stops/grocery stores in the area. Several had complained about mice. The common story was that mice were eating the Rolo candy and nothing else on the candy shelf. He started using pieces of Rolo on his traps and always caught the mice. He compared it with traps set with peanut butter and the mice always went for the Rolo candy. This guy makes a living catching mice and and killing bugs so I'll sure give it a try next time I need to trap a mouse.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:06 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
the trouble with using poison or spray is that if the mouse dies in the walls or other inaccessible location you get the stink of rotting mouse.
I have always had luck with peanut butter as already mentioned.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Still no new sign of the mouse. The snakes got him or he decided the neighborhood was no longer acceptable. Or, he may have heard my wife discussing a new fur coat for the cat.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:30 PM   #16
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Tells you something about your neighborhood when even the mice don't like it !!!!!!
The theory behind rodent poison used to be ( and may still be ) that it would make them thirsty. They would leave the residence, hopefully, to get to water and when they drink it would make them sick. Us, dogs, cats would simply vomit if the poison was consumed by mistake, but the rodents cannot vomit and it would cause internal hemmorages and they would die. Outside, if you were lucky.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote