Old 03-02-2016, 10:43 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member
2008 31' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lenoir City , Tennessee
Years ago I found a way to break up boring drives, and see some unusual sites at the same time. I started geocaching, which can now be done with either a handheld GPS or your smart phone. Go to and read about it and how easy it is to set up. Geocaching has taken us to some really strange, surprising and/or beautiful places. They range from very easy and quick to find to hard and time consuming to find. My favorites are often in cemeteries where I can read some interesting tombstones. And, it takes up only the space of the handheld device you use to do it.

Kelly & Matt
WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2008 31' Custom Classic "Moonshine"
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
kfrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:44 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member
1990 32' Excella
jonesboro , Arkansas
Fla panhandle

Lived in Pensacola for 44 yrs. If you are an aviation buff the naval aviation museum in naval air station Pensacola is amazing. To give you an idea how large there is an entire flight of blue angel jetß hanging in the inside from the ceiling. Ft Pickens Nat PK is good. There is also a nice RV PK at Pensacola Beach. A little expensive but right in the middle of all amenities and 30 Sec walk to the bay and 5 min walk to the gulf. Ŕlso have to eat at flounders and peg leg Pete's. Have fun.

joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:07 AM   #17
Currently Looking...
Cathedral City , California
Don't forget Avery Island and the Tabasco factory tour. The store is full of goodies you won't see anywhere else.
There is also a beautiful large drive through garden well worth seeing.
ibrianp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:13 AM   #18
Rivet Master
The journey should be as fun as the destination.

As stated earlier…New Orleans

Austin, Texas has a VERY diversified musical scene.

In addition…Cajun Country, south of I 10

Also Destin Fla. It is built up now, but there is a reason for that. It's the nicest beach that I have seen. Sand as white as driven snow. There are a few great campgrounds there.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:29 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member
1973 25' Tradewind
Toronto , Ontario
We did Key West a few years ago with our Airstream, all the way down from Toronto in the winter. We liked/didn't like it for a few reasons. The KOA there was $75. a night for our 25 foot trailer. And that was in 2005 or 2006? We were cheek by jowl with 45 foot motorhomes that dwarfed us. When we went into town to see the sights, THREE cruise ships were in and you couldn't move on the streets where the shops were all selling t-shirts, tacky souvenirs and drinks. And then tons of people gathered to watch the sunset. A mystery to us. It was a very ordinary sunset. I think it was just an excuse for people to start drinking. Lotsa go-cups around us! I liked the Audubon house and wandering some of the back streets and looking at the houses and beautiful gardens. And my hub enjoyed wandering around some old fort. That's it. A very over-rated place. Much prefer old Florida in the north, especially around San Blas and Alligator Point and some of the interesting places on the Gulf Coast. Love Dunedin for the Blue Jays of course. Some great seafood nearby in Tarpon Springs, another tacky town but good eatin'. Would love to know what other people think about Key West. There is a very lovely beach campground near San Blas, a state park I believe but we weren't camping on that trip but staying in a rental property. The Panhandle beaches are gorgeous. I'd give Panama City a miss. It's basically a midway. The state park near Pensacola is gorgeous too. We camped right on the beach there if I remember correctly. That was a driving to Mexico City trip MANY years ago.
Maryelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:10 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Key west is the way it is because of the tourists, who are the ones who complain the most about the way it is. We, the tourists are the problem.
1984 Avion 30p 9.1 meter. 2006 Dodge 3500 cummins srw short bed crew cab.
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:27 PM   #21
Avion Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
On old 98 in Destin ( in that "other" panhandle &#128512 is The Back Porch. Well worth a stop for lunch or dinner.

Henderson Beach State Park is nearby. There used to be another RV park in that same area, but I think it was bulldozed in favor of retail space or condos.... Not sure which.

1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke

Blessed and highly favored
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:38 PM   #22
Flying Cloud 27
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Union Hall , Virginia
I second what mimiandrews said above. Davis Mountains (Ft. Davis, Alpine, Marfa) and Balmorhea State Park...all in West Texas near I-10
smlbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:49 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member
1979 31' Excella 500
Florida , Florida
Audio books for when your driving too, audible will give you one free book if you sign up.
SpitFireRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:05 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member
2014 16' Sport
Dunedin , Florida
Florida panhandle

And all the state parks along SR 98 in Florida Panhandle are well worth a look/stop. Florida parks are the best value. If you can get in. :-) And if the beaches are full, look closer to I-10 for those parks too. Don't miss Perdido Key, St. Andrews, St, Joe and St. George parks.

Originally Posted by tsunami View Post
South of I-10, in the Florida panhandle of is SR 98. It's a great drive. Look for a road called 30A. It's a great drive along the coast and make sure you stop in Seaside FL. Have lunch from of of the 8 or so old Airstreams converted into lunch wagons. The foods pretty good too.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Native143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:18 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member
1975 Argosy 22
Eugene , Oregon
Done this trip too many times to count! We tried to find as many different ways to go thru Texas as you can. One of our favorites is to go thru the Hill Country and make stops at Fredericksburg (sp), and Pres Johnson's Ranch/home/Western Whitehouse. While in Fredericksburg (sp), don't miss the Nimitz Museum. Fredericksburg (sp) is his home town, and the museum is huge and unusual for a town this size. By the way, the town has been built like a German town, interesting. Also, Great Texas BBQ!
mrdfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:25 PM   #26
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Marianna , Florida
Good drive. You don't want to travel too fast. Highly recommend Triangle T Ranch, Dragoon AZ, for beautiful, quiet overnight. Enjoy the fantastic boulder formations; And the neighboring Amerind Native American Art Museum and Research Center. Drop south to Douglas AZ, then NE to New Mexico Hwy 9. East to Columbus N.M.; visit the old depot Historical Society (Pancho Villa raid March 9, 1916). Pancho Villa State & RV Park is very nice (Shower House [SH]+++), but I think you'd like Rock Hound Rock State Park ($18.00/nite)[SH+++], just 35 mi. north of Columbus. Then, NM Hwy 9 East thru El Paso (it's pretty easy). West of Ft. Stockton, Hilltop RV Park was barebones, but nice.
US 290 thru Frederiksburg and Johnson City TX. Nice RV sites at Bastrop State Park [SH+++], TX Hwy 71 SE of Austin. Lake's dry, dam burst.
Stay away from I-10 when possible. Travel US 290, US 190, US 90. Riverside RV Park [SH+++], NE of Robertsdale AL, on the River Styx, is nice (AL I-10 exit 53). Topsail Hill State Park [SH+++], Santa Rosa FL, is topnotch; between Destin and Panama City FL.
On US 98, east of Apalachicola, Coastline RV Resort [SH+++!](Very Nice, New). Continue US 98 thru Perry FL, right on down US98/27. US 98 is smooth, open, sailing until you approach Tampa.
Wish I was making that drive, again, soon.
I missed the "Thing". Dang it!
Seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 02:22 PM   #27
Rivet Master
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Many campgrounds on the Gulf of Mexico in Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida-
Very nice campgrounds in the Florida panhandle with some of the most beautiful views of the emerald green water-
You can see dolphins playing-
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 02:30 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Racine , Wisconsin
Audio books at library

Originally Posted by SpitFireRX View Post
Audio books for when your driving too, audible will give you one free book if you sign up.
You can also download audio books free through your local library. Check with them before going.

Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote