Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
A little drunk, it was 2 am.......

... I was in bed watching a movie on our new Apple TV setup and I was dozing off when I heard first the Apple remote then my IPhone go kerplunk! That doesn't sound good I thought as I fell to sleep. Awakening an hour later to the movie still playing away, I decided to retrieve the remote and phone. How to do this without awakening my wife? Let's see, where are they? First I look on the floor, nope not there. Next I pick up the corner of the mattress to see if they are just sitting next to the bed. No such luck. Now Dorsey wants to know what I am doing. Guess I failed stealth search tactics 101. I confess my stupidity and now begin the search with a light. I have not noticed before but there is a large gap between the bed platform and the closet next to it. That must be where they fell! Now I am trying to see in this space that has no access except the gap next to the bed and a 1" space at the floor next to the closet. I' m lying on the floor determined to find and retrieve these things, my wife is now fully awake, laughing at me and the dogs are excited because there is action. All this in a 16' International.

Wait, I can see the phone! It's beneath some wiring near the water heater below a propane pipe. The remote is not far behind it under another a bundle of wires... If I can only get my arm in this 1 inch space..... Wife is asking what I see, dog is licking my face, arm is stuck in the crack still 20 inches from the nearest item the phone. Dorsey decides I am too large for this task and gets down on the floor to assist. She is 5' tall and just a little thing so maybe she can get to the lost treasure. Now she is on the floor beneath the bed, on hands and knees trying to get at the lost remote. Still,a little drunk I am watching this when I decide that now might be a good opportunity for a little amorous action. Firmly rebuffed, I continue to watch the rescue efforts.

After some time she finally gives up and tells me I am on my own! Not wanting to lose twice that evening I lay on the floor trying to think of a way to reach the items. I try the grill tongs, too big, a coat hanger, too short and finally in desperation I spy the ZipDee awning tool hanging in the locker. This is just the thing I need! I grab the phone and cartwheel it out of its hiding place easily. The remote was harder but after about 5 minutes I finally extracted it too.

It is now 3am and finally I was able to get back to bed and to sleep. I now have a little project before the next trip!
Bruce
Old 04-07-2012, 06:54 PM   #2
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Well . . . see, if you'd bought a 25' A/S there'd be plenty of room to have reached and extracted all that.

Good story. Welcome to RV'ng. It is appreciated!
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX
Well . . . see, if you'd bought a 25' A/S there'd be plenty of room to have reached and extracted all that.

Good story. Welcome to RV'ng. It is appreciated!
I knew this was going to happen! We still love our little Bambi.....
Bruce
Old 04-07-2012, 07:08 PM   #4
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Tool Time!!

1] Magnetic retrieval tool
2] Grasping retrieval tool
3] Engine bore light

Old 04-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
The awning rod is really handy for fishing stuff out of dumpsters too. Got a perfectly good weber grill that way.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Tool Time!!

1] Magnetic retrieval tool
2] Grasping retrieval tool
3] Engine bore light

Parbond , dabbed on the end of the awning tool

Duct tape (the remote/telephone to your hand)
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #7
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Need to establish an early pattern of new SEARS Craftsman tools with the DW in re RV'ng.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
The inherent closeness of the Bambi is but one of its many attributes. Nearly everything important that one needs is always within reach.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Good story.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:17 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Fresno , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
Parbond , dabbed on the end of the awning tool

Duct tape (the remote/telephone to your hand)
A tether to the wrist or neck would work well. Also, when our son used a pacifier, we had one of those pacifier leashes that clipped to his clothing.
1977 31' Sovereign "The Mod Pod"
2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Mrs.Mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:06 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
I thought I would include a of picture of our "catch-all space" next to the mattress head so you can see what happened. The second picture is of space was where I performed the rescue. Sort of like a big ship in a big bottle......
Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3364661070.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	338.7 KB
ID:	155264   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-682284472.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	306.2 KB
ID:	155265  

Old 04-08-2012, 05:26 AM   #12
Totally New No Clue

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Mod View Post
A tether to the wrist or neck would work well. Also, when our son used a pacifier, we had one of those pacifier leashes that clipped to his clothing.
I like this concept. I can see Bruce now (if I could draw I would do a cartoon) with the following tethers every day:
  1. Truck/house Keys
  2. Bambi keys
  3. iPhone
  4. iPad
  5. Remote(s) (4 to 6 at any given time)
  6. Lunch box
  7. Wallet
  8. Tape measure
  9. Assorted essential tools
Dorsal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:26 AM   #13
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Had something similar happen to me on my first-ever camping trip in my Interstate class B. The television remote fell in the crack between the bed and the inside wall of the van, bounced off the top of the water heater, and landed behind the inverter/charger. Completely inaccessible to anyone but an anorexic orangutang.

I blew it off until the next morning, and then had to remove the bottom cushion of the sofa/bed. The procedure is time-consuming, but easy enough. Lie on the floor with the sofa/bed extended part-way, so that you can reach not only the flat-head machine screws, but also the nuts into which they're secured. Then put the sofa/bed fully back into sofa mode, go outside, open the rear doors, and undo two nuts holding the rear of the cushion in place. By feel. Then put the sofa/bed back into bed mode in order to get the bottom cushion off the frame without also removing the back cushion. Then put it back into sofa mode so that I can reach where the remote has fallen without stabbing my thigh with the frame rail. Then the whole process again in reverse to reassemble.

Now the television remote has a piece of velcro on the back, so when I'm not using it, I can stick it to the wall within easy reach.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:32 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist
Had something similar happen to me on my first-ever camping trip in my Interstate class B. The television remote fell in the crack between the bed and the inside wall of the van, bounced off the top of the water heater, and landed behind the inverter/charger. Completely inaccessible to anyone but an anorexic orangutang.

I blew it off until the next morning, and then had to remove the bottom cushion of the sofa/bed. The procedure is time-consuming, but easy enough. Lie on the floor with the sofa/bed extended part-way, so that you can reach not only the flat-head machine screws, but also the nuts into which they're secured. Then put the sofa/bed fully back into sofa mode, go outside, open the rear doors, and undo two nuts holding the rear of the cushion in place. By feel. Then put the sofa/bed back into bed mode in order to get the bottom cushion off the frame without also removing the back cushion. Then put it back into sofa mode so that I can reach where the remote has fallen without stabbing my thigh with the frame rail. Then the whole process again in reverse to reassemble.

Now the television remote has a piece of velcro on the back, so when I'm not using it, I can stick it to the wall within easy reach.
You obviously hadn't had as much to drink as I had....
Great idea about the velcro though!
Bruce
Old 04-08-2012, 07:36 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I plugged a similar gap on our 20' (with a chunk of foam) after losing stuff down there.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:59 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We once retrieved a contact lens that had fallen through the bench and onto the floor behind that assembly and between the wall.

Could see it, just couldn't get to it.

Doug finally chewed a piece of gum ,we stuck it on the end of a spatula, skinnied it down in there and---voila! One contact lens.

Maggie
Old 04-08-2012, 02:48 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Sounds like a great time together.,, Dogs worked up,, wife up,, and feel like a fool..

My save all is a roll of duck tape. A loop of tape on the end of a stick with the glue to the outside has saved me just about every trip,, Matter of fact of stored proper it can be used again.. Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:27 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodbust View Post
Sounds like a great time together.,, Dogs worked up,, wife up,, and feel like a fool..

My save all is a roll of duck tape. A loop of tape on the end of a stick with the glue to the outside has saved me just about every trip,, Matter of fact of stored proper it can be used again.. Sodbust
Duct tape is good. in fact it is a necessary part of life... You just have to remember to use it when the time comes!

As to feeling like a fool, well I have a little story here. About 25 years ago I hired a woman to do some bookkeeping when I was running a little garage. She was going through a divorce at the time, 20 years of marriage 4 kids, it was a real mess. I was young and struggling in a "relationship" at the same time. One day she (Ethel) looked at me and said "the secret to a good marriage is to keep her laughing..... ". Well thankfully my wife laughs a lot! Sometimes with me and sometimes at me. I think Ethel knew what she was talking about. I am thankful.
Bruce
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:30 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Once again I quote Red Green, "Duct tape....the handyman's best friend!"

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:14 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
its 2am Im drunk again...

well, the title say'd it...
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote