Old 10-24-2006, 04:15 AM   #29
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
I am going to call the insurance company today and remind them the truck ended up on its roof. I want it totaled so I can move on. It is all about the money. I know the shop wants to repair it, good money for them.
I am still having trouble sleeping as you can see by the time of my post.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:25 AM   #30

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Marc,
I found a broken link of the cain just off the road. You can see where the ball deformed and the hitch twisted. I would have taken more pictures but the camera only functioned long enough to get several pictures of the accident. The hitch on the truck is one tough puppy.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:31 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Michelle -

Wow! Glad you are okay. Seems like just yesterday that you buying your new Airstream and heading west, and now this!

My wife and I were just in the park 3 weeks ago, and already had icy road conditions at higher elevations. When we headed home on October 1, I was wishing we were staying longer. Now when I see your tragic pictures, and those road conditions, I'm glad we got out of there when we did.

If you can make it to Jackson Center for repair, as others have said, that'd be the best place to get your trailer fixed.

John
Old 10-24-2006, 04:41 AM   #32

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
John,
I have come a long way in 6 months. When I entered the park the roads were ok. When I left I went slow about 20 MPH. I had my problems just west of West Yellowstone. I was not having any traction problems until I decided to slow down because the road ahead looked slippery. It was already slippery. I drove the same road yesterday and it is clear.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:59 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Michelle, I am so glad you are up and getting about. You had great presence of mind in an horrifying experience. I agree with the EMTs that you fared extraordinarily well and with the other posters that mentioned your guardian angels must have been on duty.

I know you will get your rig back into order. I marvel at your fortitude to get right back on that horse after such a harrowing incident. You've got moxie!

Wishing you and Buttercup a speedy recovery and a nice new truck and jacket. You have such courage.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 05:05 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
John,
I have come a long way in 6 months. When I entered the park the roads were ok. When I left I went slow about 20 MPH. I had my problems just west of West Yellowstone. I was not having any traction problems until I decided to slow down because the road ahead looked slippery. It was already slippery. I drove the same road yesterday and it is clear.
My, you are up early!

Several years ago, I "camped" in my car right beside the road while on a fishing trip during this exact time of year just a couple miles outside West Yellowstone. I bet I didn't stay very far from where you had your accident.

After clearing the ice from the windows each morning, I'd drive into town and eat at McDonalds, or wherever. The morning temperatures then were around 17 degrees. So, I know first had that it can get real cold there!

Well, at least you're now safe, inside, and warm.

John
Old 10-24-2006, 08:14 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Michelle -- So glad to hear you are okay. What a horrible thing to have happen! I'm amazed at your composure after such an experience.

I can see you're already getting lots of advice from people more knowledgable than I & Doug, so I can't add to that. We'll be thinking of you and watching for posts on how you're doing, and how the repairs are going.

-Jamie
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 08:15 PM   #36

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Thanks all

I just wanted to thank all who wished me well. I think I have found an acceptable replacement for Rebecca. Just waiting for the insurance company to make a decision.

I spent today cleaning up the trailer. I put foil tape on the outside damage to keep the weather out. I cleaned up the damaged dishes and put away every thing that came out of the cabinets. Only one item containing liquid broke on the floor. She now looks like she did on the inside. The outside will get repaired at the factory in Late November.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0024.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	27446   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0025.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	27447  

Old 10-24-2006, 08:45 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
It's looking better already now that it's cleaned up. Good to hear your interior hasn't been damaged. Any observations about your hitch (what kind do you have?) and did the disc brakes make a difference do you think?
When in November do you think you will be in Ohio? Will you be staying in the terraport during repairs?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 09:03 PM   #38
Rivet Master

EGAD !!! Glad you came out of that ok. Did you have snow tires or street tires? It one of those things that just get's ya.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:26 PM   #39

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Carol,
I am planning on leaving Montana shortly after Thanksgiving. I do not have an appointment yet but they do know about my situation. I never touched the brakes. The trailer brakes did not activate until the breakaway switch was pulled. Important to connect that thing! I will be doing a drop and run. I have friends in Cleveland and will be staying with them while the trailer is repaired. The hitch is a reese weight distributing.

Old 10-24-2006, 09:29 PM   #40

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
I had standard truck tires. It was a little early to put snow tires on. Neither would have mattered. I was on ice. Studs may have helped.

Old 10-24-2006, 10:12 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
following your saga

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Carol,
I I will be doing a drop and run. I have friends in Cleveland and will be staying with them while the trailer is repaired.
We have been following your story since your adventures first started with Buttercup and Rebecca. We hope that you will give us a call when you get to the Cleveland area. We are only 30 min. sw of downtown Cleveland. We'd love to meet you.
Lou and Larry in LaGrange
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 11:51 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
Michelle, glad to hear you are ok and moving forward,,, hope you like your new truck,,,, Lou and Larry are great,,,, best,, donna