Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2017, 11:53 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Pt Angeles , Washington
A general question

The intended use of my beloved Airstream has changed from being a base camp on trips to specific (fishing) destinations to now enjoying a bit of a road trip with a lady friend to see the country and determine whether or not we drive each other crazy traveling with no specific intended destination. What source do folks use to find good routes? Good RV parks? Things to not miss? etc. I believe we would prefer being a bit off the beaten path and to avoid major interstate thorough fares when practical. This first sojourn will be from near Seattle to the CO Rockies and back over the next 3 or 4 weeks. Thanks for being patient with a new traveler.
akroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I have a Garmin RV model GPS that shows a lot of options. Good Sam puts out a campground directory. There are several apps. Good some Delorme atlases

But.......the most interesting places are found picking a general direction and exploring.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:58 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
Sounds like a great trip! I use the Allstays app in conjunction with Apple maps almost exclusively. It works well for how I plan.
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 01:02 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Any more the right answer is going to be "a device connected to the internet". There will always be way more information from Mr. Google than any other way. That's fine up to the point you are out of cellphone range. Once that happens something like the Garmin RV770 is one of several choices. The still better choice is to plan ahead while you still do have cell or WiFi connections.

If you have a co-pilot, let them play with all these toys. Once they have an answer to the question, go with that answer. If you are solo, driving and toys don't mix. No matter how easy they seem, no matter if it's all voice commands, they don't mix. Find a spot, pull over, work out whatever the issue is.

This brings up the .... errr .... minor point ... (do as I say ...) of your co-pilot *understanding* how all the toys and apps work. Having Gas Buddy, All Stays, Weather Radar, and Yelp all on your phone and your phone only ... not so much. Spend some down time getting the various apps on *both* phones. When the gas needle is solidly on E with no pull overs in sight is *not* the time to be doing training. Yes, I have data on this

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 01:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
We’ve had pretty good luck just following our noses traveling through the western part of the US. Of course, that eliminates most of the main attractions like Zion, Yellowstone, Yosemite, etc., but neither of us likes crowds anyway, and there are hundreds of miles of seashore, mountains, lakes, and wide open spaces between Canada and Mexico where you can wander and find a place to stop without too much trouble.

It does take a particular type of personality with a high tolerance for uncertainty. Fortunately, both my wife and I are similar in this respect. I never realized how similar we were until we started Airstreaming together. In earlier days, I used to travel at least once a year with my dad and son. It used to drive them crazy if I just took off without an itinerary. Not crazy enough that they didn't want to come, but I heard a lot of complaints as we would drive into some new area, in those pre-cellphone days, without any reservations. Nary a complaint from my wife or the dog, though; we always figure something will turn up.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 04:05 PM   #6
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Just keeping in mind that the high country has already had its first snowfalls on the peaks. By October, some of it will stick around a bit lower down till spring. A lot of high-elevation public campgrounds will be closed for the season. You might want to check ahead to see what is still open. Unless you're lower down it will probably freeze at night. Or plan a route that avoids the onset of winter weather.

Any more, RV parks are more likely to stay open year round, but some close for the season. The Aspen, Colorado area just lost one of its few RV parks to make way for more employee housing at the ski resort.

Keeping in mind that a night at a truck stop may not be as wonderful as an AS with a view.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:05 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I would recommend having some sort of navigation in the TV. There will always be the unexpected events where you need to adjust course *now*. Tire / fuel / medical / traffic issues can pop up ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:33 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
West Bend , Wisconsin
I enjoy nature and camping in the US National Forests. Some sites have electric hookups, but many have only water. Most involve dry camping but you can always go to a state park or RV park every 3 or 4 days. Plus the price is such a bargain, especially if you have a Senior National Parks pass.

This link can get you started. https://www.fs.fed.us/visit/destinations

You might try this link too:
https://www.rv-camping.org/publiclands/

Safe travels!
Lonekingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:43 PM   #9
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
I just drive. And I ask folks in campgrounds and on this forum. I like to follow brown signs. Also historical or scenic routes. I do have all the apps, google maps bein the best. But my eyes tend to be the best guide. For me personally.

I shared some of my last journey in my ‘tell me where to go’ thread if ya want some examples.

Happy campin!
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:47 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
I love this book, "The Most Scenic Drives in America."

https://www.amazon.com/Scenic-Drives.../dp/1606523589

We've tried to include as many of these routes as possible on our travels, and they've all been spot on wonderful!
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:05 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
west plains , Missouri
Search out small state parks near where you find yourself, then, the next one....
rjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:14 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

I would recommend having some sort of navigation in the TV. There will always be the unexpected events where you need to adjust course *now*. Tire / fuel / medical / traffic issues can pop up ....

Bob
Yes, but use some common sense. It is not uncommon for your GPS to tell you to follow a route which may be shorter on the map, but is impassable for anything but offload 4x4.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:14 PM   #13
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Yes, but use some common sense. It is not uncommon for your GPS to tell you to follow a route which may be shorter on the map, but is impassable for anything but offload 4x4.
Well that's half the fun IMO!
Old 10-06-2017, 01:39 PM   #14
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Actually not. "East is East and West is West."

Motorists in western states have died--or nearly so-- by following a GPS route that took them over long stretches of rough lonesome roads in Nevada, where they got stuck or broke down. Some of these roads will have few or no other vehciles on them to be flagged down for help. Your cell phone may have no service in a lot of western mountain areas, especially if it's not Verizon. Many forest service roads in the mountains are not well maintained, notably once the snow flies.

For example, http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-no...nfallible.html

For sure we wouldn't haul a trailer over a lot of western roads that we nonetheless enjoy driving in just the 4x4 high-clearance TV.

I think akroyd will be fine on the pavement but I would sure back up a GPS with paper maps, like those state highway atlases, for any back-of-beyond driving; and then know what it means if an ungraded dirt road heads for a mountain pass in October.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 02:11 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinMan View Post
Well that's half the fun IMO!
A month ago I was in central Utah, west of Canyonlands National Park. I camped at a private campground and headed towards Horseshoe Canyon in my 4x4 pick up.
First sign I saw said 38m to Horseshoe Canyon, 82 miles to The Maze. This was a dirt/sand road. Next sign said "road may be impassable due to storms". Next sign said "if you are following GPS to Canyonlands NP YOU ARE DEAD WRONG". Next passed a big Caterpillar bulldozer and then sand dunes blowing across the 2 track "road". No cell phone service.I did make it to Horseshoe Canyon in 4 wheel drive. Getting a rig stuck in there would have been very, very expensive and possibly a long, long, long walk to the nearest paved road or waiting days for someone else to come along.

FYI/ This is a couple of miles from Blue John Canyon where a canyoneer was pinned for about a week having to cut off his arm to get to help. Also not too far from Robber's Roost where Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, and other outlaws hid out.

The moral of the story is make sure you have a plan and you notify someone if you are going off the beaten track alone, which Aaron Ralston did not do and cost his arm and almost his life.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:29 PM   #16
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
A general question

I agree about always notfyin folks. Also with havin a backup communication like a spot. And lots of survival stuff (not that Aaron Ralston didn't). But a plan ain't somethin I can get on board with. Checkin satellite images, callin rangers, gettin out and walkin for miles are all things I'm willing to do. But plannin too much just makes things no fun for me.

I have done this for a long time. Decades. I have hauled the trailers (airstream and others) many many miles down lonely dirt roads in Nevada, Arizona, California, Wyoming, etc.... You are completely correct that they can be dangerous and must be taken with care. But I still love em.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:31 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinMan View Post
You are completely correct that they can be dangerous and must be taken with care. But I still love em.
Trust in God, but tie up your camel.

BTW/ I have a Spot. If anyone is interested send me a PM
Old 10-06-2017, 06:33 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
My advice would be to plan to succeed, even if you don't have other plans.

Carry a jerry can or 2 with with water.

Assume your phone won't work. There are digital atlas apps you can load (and use up a bunch of memory) but that may be a useful back up plan if you will be in areas without cell service/interactive maps. An old or used iPad or tablet would work for this.

Have some food along that won't spoil and that can be eaten without a lot of fuss.

Don't drive or set up at night if at all possible.

If you or your companion drink coffee in the morning, make coffee. Don't skip this and say you will stop along the way and get some. No coffee is just a bad way to start the day.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
[QUOTE=TravlinMan;2018290]I agree about always notfyin folks. Also with havin a backup communication like a spot. And lots of survival stuff (not that Aaron Ralston didn't). But a plan ain't somethin I can get on board with. Checkin satellite images, callin rangers, gettin out and walkin for miles are all things I'm willing to do. But plannin too much just makes things no fun for me.
.[/QUOTE
Sounds like a plan to me
Old 10-06-2017, 07:04 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Rancho Cordova , California
Akroyd- I use Allstays Pro on the computer, following that up with Google maps for research. But often times we run across gems of things to see and explore only once we have arrived at a particular destination. The internet is an awesome tool to plan a trip but it isn't the only tool in your toolbox.
In the past my wife and I had taken long road trip vacations with zero reservations, just my trusty Tacoma, wife and self.
Things have changed now that we are pulling the Airstream. We occasionally still roll the dice from time to time, but I am finding we have a more enjoyable trip if we have reservations booked in advance.
Maybe I am just getting' old...(well there is no maybe about that part.)
J-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote