Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinMan View Post
Well that's half the fun IMO!
A month ago I was in central Utah, west of Canyonlands National Park. I camped at a private campground and headed towards Horseshoe Canyon in my 4x4 pick up.
First sign I saw said 38m to Horseshoe Canyon, 82 miles to The Maze. This was a dirt/sand road. Next sign said "road may be impassable due to storms". Next sign said "if you are following GPS to Canyonlands NP YOU ARE DEAD WRONG". Next passed a big Caterpillar bulldozer and then sand dunes blowing across the 2 track "road". No cell phone service.I did make it to Horseshoe Canyon in 4 wheel drive. Getting a rig stuck in there would have been very, very expensive and possibly a long, long, long walk to the nearest paved road or waiting days for someone else to come along.

FYI/ This is a couple of miles from Blue John Canyon where a canyoneer was pinned for about a week having to cut off his arm to get to help. Also not too far from Robber's Roost where Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, and other outlaws hid out.

The moral of the story is make sure you have a plan and you notify someone if you are going off the beaten track alone, which Aaron Ralston did not do and cost his arm and almost his life.

Old 10-06-2017, 03:29 PM   #16
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
A general question

I agree about always notfyin folks. Also with havin a backup communication like a spot. And lots of survival stuff (not that Aaron Ralston didn't). But a plan ain't somethin I can get on board with. Checkin satellite images, callin rangers, gettin out and walkin for miles are all things I'm willing to do. But plannin too much just makes things no fun for me.

I have done this for a long time. Decades. I have hauled the trailers (airstream and others) many many miles down lonely dirt roads in Nevada, Arizona, California, Wyoming, etc.... You are completely correct that they can be dangerous and must be taken with care. But I still love em.

Old 10-06-2017, 04:31 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinMan View Post
You are completely correct that they can be dangerous and must be taken with care. But I still love em.
Trust in God, but tie up your camel.

BTW/ I have a Spot. If anyone is interested send me a PM
Old 10-06-2017, 06:33 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
My advice would be to plan to succeed, even if you don't have other plans.

Carry a jerry can or 2 with with water.

Assume your phone won't work. There are digital atlas apps you can load (and use up a bunch of memory) but that may be a useful back up plan if you will be in areas without cell service/interactive maps. An old or used iPad or tablet would work for this.

Have some food along that won't spoil and that can be eaten without a lot of fuss.

Don't drive or set up at night if at all possible.

If you or your companion drink coffee in the morning, make coffee. Don't skip this and say you will stop along the way and get some. No coffee is just a bad way to start the day.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
[QUOTE=TravlinMan;2018290]I agree about always notfyin folks. Also with havin a backup communication like a spot. And lots of survival stuff (not that Aaron Ralston didn't). But a plan ain't somethin I can get on board with. Checkin satellite images, callin rangers, gettin out and walkin for miles are all things I'm willing to do. But plannin too much just makes things no fun for me.
.[/QUOTE
Sounds like a plan to me
Old 10-06-2017, 07:04 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Fullerton , California
Akroyd- I use Allstays Pro on the computer, following that up with Google maps for research. But often times we run across gems of things to see and explore only once we have arrived at a particular destination. The internet is an awesome tool to plan a trip but it isn't the only tool in your toolbox.
In the past my wife and I had taken long road trip vacations with zero reservations, just my trusty Tacoma, wife and self.
Things have changed now that we are pulling the Airstream. We occasionally still roll the dice from time to time, but I am finding we have a more enjoyable trip if we have reservations booked in advance.
Maybe I am just getting' old...(well there is no maybe about that part.)
Old 10-07-2017, 12:03 AM   #21
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
My advice would be to plan to succeed, even if you don't have other plans.

Carry a jerry can or 2 with with water.

Assume your phone won't work. There are digital atlas apps you can load (and use up a bunch of memory) but that may be a useful back up plan if you will be in areas without cell service/interactive maps. An old or used iPad or tablet would work for this.

Have some food along that won't spoil and that can be eaten without a lot of fuss.

Don't drive or set up at night if at all possible.

If you or your companion drink coffee in the morning, make coffee. Don't skip this and say you will stop along the way and get some. No coffee is just a bad way to start the day.
Good advice. Waiting on coffee Out Yonder might mean you don't get any till you hitch up and drive 60 miles to the nearest gas station.

The thing about western non-graded back roads is that we like them, too-- but not towing the AS. Generally we drop off the AS at our campsite for several days, and then take off on some day trips with our high-clearance 4x4 truck. It's not unusual for us to find roads where we call it quits because we don't want to beat up our truck. The real dirt roads people tend to have 4-wheelers (quad bikes) or small jeeps with a shorter wheel base.

We like the hard-copy road atlases that are published for each of the western states. Totally off-grid.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:49 AM   #22
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Once upon a time long long ago, the first step for any new area was to go buy some topo maps. Scale depended a bit on the application. The idea of being anywhere without a paper map, you just didn't do it.

Times do change. Google maps really does do an amazing job.... right up to the point it doesn't.

Have a backup. Better yet, have two backups ....look into the stuff hikers use ....

Bob