Old 06-14-2008, 08:56 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Litter Bugs Me

I too find the amount of litter I see repulsive. Whether it be cigarette butts or other leavings from people walking this earth. I too go out of my way to pick up trash and dispose of it properly. I find it makes me feel good to know I am doing my little part to keep our public and private spaces clean. I often think of that old commercial with the American Indian watching litter bugs with a tear in his eyes, and it still gets to me.

YouTube - The Crying Indian Commercial

In Boy Scouts I was always taught to take only pictures, leave only foot prints, and kill only time. Then later in SCUBA diving it turned into take only pictures, leave only bubbles, and kill only time. Simple words and I try to live by them wherever I am.

TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:52 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Dave said "There are also those few smokers who properly dispose of their butts and will blow their smoke away from you. If you are one of these, thank you."

Thank you Dave. My back was getting pretty sore. And please do note: - I am not defending anyone, but not all smokers deserve to be put in the same filthy ashtray, fire ring or dung heap. I find a pile of cigarette butts just as offensive as the next person. I will ALWAYS move downwind from who ever I am with before lighting up. If there is no acceptable place to dispose of my "butt", I take it with me. In 60+ years of camping, nobody has EVER had to tell me to clean up my campsite before leaving - that's just being a good citizen / camper / lover of the outdoors AND Airstreamer. I know it's fashionable to bash smokers. And many do deserve it. But not all smokers deserve to be put in those crappy categories. I'm not proud of my habit, but those who love aluminum shouldn't be the 1st to throw stones. Most everyone I know has a behavior that I could find offensive, if I chose to.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:27 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Some More 2 Cents

I think if you are the kind of person that frequents this forum you are also the kind of person that will leave an area better than you found it. So we may be preaching / ranting to the choir
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
Old 06-15-2008, 09:05 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEITZ645 View Post
In Boy Scouts I was always taught to take only pictures, leave only foot prints, and kill only time. Then later in SCUBA diving it turned into take only pictures, leave only bubbles, and kill only time. Simple words and I try to live by them wherever I am.
Here, here for the BSA, Boy Scouts of America. I'm afraid the scouts aren't so popular these days. We were always taught to absolutely Leave No Trace. So when leaving an area we would spend hours canvassing and repairing the scene and picking up even the smallest residue of our stay. Thanks for the reminder! It's a valuable rant and something us humans should remember concerning not only our campsites but the Earth and the Universe at large!

“Complications arose, ensued, were overcome...savvy?”
- Captain Jack Sparrow
monocoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 09:10 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by monocoque View Post
Here, here for the BSA, Boy Scouts of America.
Todd,
Once an Eagle Scout...Always and Eagle Scout.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
Old 06-15-2008, 11:30 AM   #20
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitsend View Post
Dave said "There are also those few smokers who properly dispose of their butts and will blow their smoke away from you. If you are one of these, thank you."

Thank you Dave. My back was getting pretty sore. And please do note: - I am not defending anyone, but not all smokers deserve to be put in the same filthy ashtray, fire ring or dung heap. I find a pile of cigarette butts just as offensive as the next person. I will ALWAYS move downwind from who ever I am with before lighting up. If there is no acceptable place to dispose of my "butt", I take it with me. In 60+ years of camping, nobody has EVER had to tell me to clean up my campsite before leaving - that's just being a good citizen / camper / lover of the outdoors AND Airstreamer. I know it's fashionable to bash smokers. And many do deserve it. But not all smokers deserve to be put in those crappy categories. I'm not proud of my habit, but those who love aluminum shouldn't be the 1st to throw stones. Most everyone I know has a behavior that I could find offensive, if I chose to.
Maybe you ought to defend them, friend. On the scale of being offensive (for those whom television is not the single reference to good culture), loud music along with heavy drinking in a nearby site is offensive; running one or two generators constantly is offensive (the sound is one thing, the pollution another; cigarets aren't even close); leaving smelly trash is offensive(fisherman w/o conscience); pet poop, and so forth.

You want offensive, try a triple slide fifth-wheel in an older, narrow-lot campground who has no concern for the "outdoor space" of his neighbors.

On the scale of things, some cig butts that can be lit up or thrown away (no different than twigs or leaves) is pretty low-level stuff.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 05:45 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
To All -
The thread was called "A Friday Night Rant" and I got carried away. I certainly did not mean to offend anyone here. I value this Forum WAY too much for that. So, please accept my apology. Just one more instance when I should have just kept my yap shut. You'd think that by this age I'd learn a lessor or two?
Jim
Old 06-15-2008, 07:41 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEITZ645 View Post
Todd,
Once an Eagle Scout...Always and Eagle Scout.
My Scouting days (I did get my Eagle) eventually led to other outdoor oriented pursuits: rock climbing, mountain biking and kayaking. And now airstreaming which I see as a way to enhance these other activities and enhance the adventure. I like Wally's vision. Climbers, mountain bikers, kayakers and scouts are all "user groups" of natural resources. Various groups often must share the same resources. And of course natural resources are "limited" as any park or land manager will quickly advise. Generally speaking I have found these groups highly respectful and conscientious "users" of the natural environment. Of course in my opinion that environment and nature includes "others." Now I haven't spent too much time around airstreamers but I'm truly hoping to find the same high degree of conscience. So far I like what I have found. I agree with Carl. We're probably ranting to the choir. Let's hope so!

“Complications arose, ensued, were overcome...savvy?”
- Captain Jack Sparrow
monocoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 10:04 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I don't smoke and finding buts "inside" the fire ring about the least offensive of all the things I could rant about.

Garry
Old 06-15-2008, 11:41 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitsend View Post
To All -
The thread was called "A Friday Night Rant" and I got carried away. I certainly did not mean to offend anyone here. I value this Forum WAY too much for that. So, please accept my apology. Just one more instance when I should have just kept my yap shut. You'd think that by this age I'd learn a lessor or two?
Jim
Jim, Thanks, but I'm not convinced that you needed to appologize. You were stating your valid viewpoint.
While I view most (Not all) smokers with distain because of their behavior, I realize that many like yourself conduct yourself in a respectable way.
As you said, there are also many other habits/actions that we could rant about with good reason.
I for one took no offense at your statements.
Thanks for your "get along" attitude!
Dave

AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote