Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-17-2014, 09:41 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
I don't think that simply hooking up your electrical umbilical cord to the truck to provide 12 v to the tongue jack will work right away (nor for that matter would hooking the trailer up to shore power.) For better or worse, the electrical connection for the tongue jack is wired directly to the batteries and not to the trailer's 12 volt system. Thus the 12 v that your trailer's converter would be producing when hooked up to either shore power or the umbilical will not run the tongue jack, it needs a battery with a minimum charge in order to operate and simply connecting the umbilical to your tow vehicle or the entire trailer to shore power may start the battery charge process, but I am willing to bet that until the charge has reached a minimum level (which could take a long time with the umbilical cord to the truck) the tongue jack will not work.

Fortunately, your batteries are at the front of the Airstream which is accessible given your current parking arrangement so I would suggest that you bring along a 12 v battery charger and sufficient extension cords to reach the nearest outlet and then be prepared to charge the battery for a period of time necessary to render the tongue jack operable. You may be able to use a generator to charge the battery directly if you don't have an accessible 110 V outlet for the charger but you will still need to get a charge into the batteries to get the jack to work.

Shouldn't be a big deal. It may take an hour or so to get enough charge into the battery to run the jack with the battery charger.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:48 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
You can also just run a set of jumper cables from your vehicle to your Airstream batteries.Pick the battery that has the small wire from the electric jack.On my trailer it is a small diameter black wire connected to the positive side.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:01 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
After thinking about this for a bit, I don't understand all this jury-rigging to get the jack to move up and down. They make a manual handle for the jack for just this sort of problem. The OP has not made the only one in existence inaccessible. I am 99% positive that a call to Airstream costumer service will get another one sent to the OP for probably a reasonable price perhaps even free. If they don't have one, I am sure they will provide a source where one can be procured. I would not be surprised to find that larger dealers may have them also. After this, perhaps having a spare one in the tow vehicle might be a good idea. I can think of lots of scenarios where one might wish they had a spare or at least the only one in the tow vehicle rather than the trailer. A traffic accident being one. I'm am going to move mine to the TV, if I can find it.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:21 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Since your tow vehicle already has a jack for changing tires, and you probably never use it if you don't get a flat, it's just sitting there in the vehicle feeling unloved. Put that baby to work as an emergency substitute for the tongue jack.
The only problem I see with this scenario is:
You jack up the tongue and then lower it onto the hitch. You then remove the car jack. However the tongue jack is still resting on the ground and therefor you can't tow it out of the garage. I also believe that somewhere above, the OP says he has a ProPride, which if correct, presents another scenario, ending with the same result. However, it may be possible in the case of a ProPride to lift the tongue jack off the ground enough to move slowly by using the WD jacks.

Ken
Old 12-17-2014, 10:22 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Buy another manual crank. I have two, on in the trailer and one in a tool kit in the truck, just in case.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:24 AM   #26
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
You can also just run a set of jumper cables from your vehicle to your Airstream batteries.Pick the battery that has the small wire from the electric jack.On my trailer it is a small diameter black wire connected to the positive side.
A portable jump-starter is worth its weight in gold in this situation. You can hook it up right to the trailer batteries and not have to deal with jumper cables.

There are many brands to choose from, but this is the kind I carry on my camping trips, just in case:
Old 12-17-2014, 10:33 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
Buy another manual crank. I have two, on in the trailer and one in a tool kit in the truck, just in case.
That's what I said a couple of posts above, but you said it much more plain and simple. Where did you get your extra?

Ken
Old 12-17-2014, 10:38 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Madison , Wisconsin
Send a message via ICQ to slpiotro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Dan View Post
I agree with Shacksman on plugging into the 7-pin connector. On the VERY outside chance that doesn't work, the extra jack with blocks of wood may get you out of your pickle. But you may need to remove 12V jack from the trailer to give you ground clearance. It seems most of these 12V jacks are bolted on with 3/8" bolts that take a 9/16" wrench or socket. Disconnecting the jacks power wire may be necessary, too. My Dad always said "Too soon old, too late smart!" Boy, was he right! Shamrock's dad and mine were very wise men!!

Dan
I agree, the plug into the TV is the easy and quick way to do it. Last spring I picked up my trailer and the jack would not work, I found out that I must have double pushed the cut off and the trailer drew more power than the solar collectors in the shade. Wait two minutes, and the jack works like magic after being plugged into the tow vehicle. Reminds you to turn off what you need to turn off.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:52 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Here what the manual jack fitting looks like. It's that little silver square fitting. I think if you show up with a set of deep sockets, you'll find one that works. I don't have a set with me or I would have checked the size for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0503.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	228790   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0501.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	228791  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0500.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	228792  
Old 12-17-2014, 11:06 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
Here what the manual jack fitting looks like. It's that little silver square fitting. I think if you show up with a set of deep sockets, you'll find one that works. I don't have a set with me or I would have checked the size for you.
I don't believe that looks like ours. I'm thinking there are probably different jacks with different tools.

Ken
Old 12-17-2014, 11:26 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
2005 30' Classic
1993 33' Land Yacht
Wellfleet , Massachusetts
The Power cord from the Tow Vehicle should do it. You can also use a pair of jumpers if you can reach the battery or one of those battery jump boxes .
Don.44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 11:32 AM   #32

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don.H View Post
The Power cord from the Tow Vehicle should do it. You can also use a pair of jumpers if you can reach the battery or one of those battery jump boxes .
The portable jump-starter has one advantage over the other options you mention, in that you don't have any wires connecting the tow vehicle and trailer before you hitch up as you would have with the umbilical cable or jumper cables, so exact placement of the tow vehicle isn't as important at that stage of the operation.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:45 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
1. Look up the make/model of your jack on the net...Order another manual handle - problem solved...

2. Rent a wider storage unit - maybe one with AC power to keep batteries charged, provided you have a converter/charger that will go into 'float' mode to save your batteries from being overcharged...

3. Bring a few ice cold beers to help 'lubricate' you out of this tight spot...
Old 12-17-2014, 07:01 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
1. Look up the make/model of your jack on the net...Order another manual handle - problem solved...

2. Rent a wider storage unit - maybe one with AC power to keep batteries charged, provided you have a converter/charger that will go into 'float' mode to save your batteries from being overcharged...

3. Bring a few ice cold beers to help 'lubricate' you out of this tight spot...
LOL - I'm with you on the beer idea. I can see I will need a few before I attempt to extricate myself from this place..... Mind you beer and driving out of tight spots might not be a good idea....
Old 12-17-2014, 07:06 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
Hi Bob:

If the inside of my jack is the same as yours we should be away as I have a full set of deep sockets I carry with me all the time. I have never looked inside my jack so I'm not sure if its the same of not. On the outside they look the same other than mine would be turned facing front and yours seems to be facing the roadside. My Trailer is a 2013 28' so i'm not sure if our trailers will have the same jack or not.
Thanks for taking the time do this...

Cheers
Doug
Old 12-17-2014, 07:08 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
A portable jump-starter is worth its weight in gold in this situation. You can hook it up right to the trailer batteries and not have to deal with jumper cables.

There are many brands to choose from, but this is the kind I carry on my camping trips, just in case:
I actually thought of one of these today. But boy they are not cheep! Here n Canada you are looking at 200.00. Mind you I guess I could swallow that cost if I could come up with a bunch of other reason why I should own one.....lol
Old 12-17-2014, 07:22 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
I actually thought of one of these today. But boy they are not cheep! Here n Canada you are looking at 200.00. Mind you I guess I could swallow that cost if I could come up with a bunch of other reason why I should own one.....lol
I have a couple of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-J...p+Jump+Starter

They work great and are easy to carry around.
Bounus: Mine have USB ports so they can double as the world's heaviest cell phone charger.

They are much more convenient than jumper cables and you can take them anywhere. I always have one in my truck. They need to recharged about every month or two.

Ken
Old 12-18-2014, 03:41 AM   #38
Storm Master

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
If you have your wheels chocked, use wood blocks and a bottle jack or your truck jack. That way you can master another way to get yourself out of a jam if your jack actually fails while out on the road. Builds traveling emergency skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 12-18-2014, 05:04 AM   #39

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampman View Post
If you have your wheels chocked, use wood blocks and a bottle jack or your truck jack. That way you can master another way to get yourself out of a jam if your jack actually fails while out on the road. Builds traveling emergency skills.
But what a bottle jack or scissors jack won't do is raise the tongue jack so it doesn't drag the ground after you hitch up and drive off.

It's a great resource if you're unhitching, though…
Old 12-18-2014, 06:53 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Ok, so here is something I thought of as I tossed and turned thinking about this in the early morning light....
So I back my truck in and hook the electrical umbilical cord up. Let it sit there for a few minutes to get at least some charge into the trailer batteries. So far all is good.... But the one thing I did do before I wedged myself into this space was turn my battery switch to "store". So will my jack even work with that switch turned to Store?

Thanks

Doug