Old 12-18-2014, 09:14 AM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Missouri Valley , Iowa
There have been many good ideas posted to help you on this problem. Hopefully, the batteries will have enough juice left or hook up the TV and there will be no problem. Enjoy the stay in warm weather!!!!

Dan

Old 12-18-2014, 09:18 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
Hi Bob:

If the inside of my jack is the same as yours we should be away as I have a full set of deep sockets I carry with me all the time. I have never looked inside my jack so I'm not sure if its the same of not. On the outside they look the same other than mine would be turned facing front and yours seems to be facing the roadside. My Trailer is a 2013 28' so i'm not sure if our trailers will have the same jack or not.
Thanks for taking the time do this...

Cheers
Doug
Doug, Our trailer is only one year newer than yours so I would be willing to bet that the jacks are the same. BTW, ours is turned sideways to accommodate some work we had done on the hitch by CanAm. They basically shortened the distance between the TV and the trailer to improve handling, rotating the hitch jack control box allows me to open the truck be while still hitched. Good luck, I think you'll be just fine!

Old 12-18-2014, 09:38 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Dan View Post
There have been many good ideas posted to help you on this problem. Hopefully, the batteries will have enough juice left or hook up the TV and there will be no problem. Enjoy the stay in warm weather!!!!

Dan
Thanks Dan - Yes there has been some very good input and recommendations on what may very well be a (non-problem) depending how the batteries are. In the end, I always have plenty of tools in my truck and I'm sure I will figure out something.
This thread has sort of taken a life of it's own and I'm sure others will use it as a resource if they have a similar problem down the road....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
Doug, Our trailer is only one year newer than yours so I would be willing to bet that the jacks are the same. BTW, ours is turned sideways to accommodate some work we had done on the hitch by CanAm. They basically shortened the distance between the TV and the trailer to improve handling, rotating the hitch jack control box allows me to open the truck be while still hitched. Good luck, I think you'll be just fine!
Hi Bob - Thanks or the confirmation on the jack. I agree they should be the same, but i'm going to call Chris at the Airstream factory today just to confirm. It's interesting your comment about rotating the jack to allow for the tailgate to open. A buddy in Texas is dealing with that very issue right now and i'm sure he has not thought about rotating the jack. I will bring it up to him
Thanks again

Doug
Old 12-18-2014, 11:20 AM   #46
Storm Master

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
True. Just thinking of getting it out of the hole to access the rest of the rig. If jack ever does break then somehow I'm getting my rig hitched and unbolting the jack and getting on down the road. I use a Hensley but also carry a regular stinger with the same drop just in case the Hensley breaks. Paranoid a little but prepared to the max. Been paying for roadside assistance for years but have never used it. Just hate to rely on others for help especially when on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 12-18-2014, 11:30 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
As soon as you connect the 7 pin, it will work using power from the TV. The trailer battery condition doesn't even come into play. It would work even if the trailer battery was missing. You are sweating over a non issue.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:26 PM   #48
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheart View Post
As soon as you connect the 7 pin, it will work using power from the TV. The trailer battery condition doesn't even come into play. It would work even if the trailer battery was missing. You are sweating over a non issue.
The jack would work quite well if the trailer battery was missing. However if the trailer battery is present but totally dead or shorted, it likely won't work well at all. The trailer battery will draw enough current that the voltage drop in the truck wiring will be significant and the voltage available to the jack will be significantly lower.

Ken
Old 12-18-2014, 01:39 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
If that were so it would be impossible to boost start a car with a dead battery.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:55 PM   #50
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheart View Post
If that were so it would be impossible to boost start a car with a dead battery.
No, booster cables work because the wires are much larger diameter and therefor much less resistance and voltage drop for a given length.

Ken
Old 12-18-2014, 04:25 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Delmar , New York
Checked my trailer (a 2011) today and its a 3/8" square head like the one show in the photo. Also note that it's 3 to 4 inches down inside the housing so you might need an extender.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:48 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenen42 View Post
Checked my trailer (a 2011) today and its a 3/8" square head like the one show in the photo. Also note that it's 3 to 4 inches down inside the housing so you might need an extender.
Thanks very much for this. I will make sure I have the tools with me to deal with it if I need to.

Thanks again

Doug