Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2014, 03:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
A Different Sort of Battery Problem.....

Greetings all:

I have (or I think I will have) a different sort of a problem with my AS batteries...

In mid October I put my trailer into storage in the south and plan to pick it up in mid January... With it sitting in storage this long,I'm assuming that the batteries will be dead and normally that would not be an issue. As I would simply just hook-up to the trailer and get someplace that I can charge them, or drive long enough down a road that is becomes a non-issue.
Either way, this should not be a big problem.... (right? - right!)

So here is where it gets a little complicated and I begin to show my Not So Smart Side.....

The trailer is in a storage unit that was (to say the least) a trick to get into. I have about 8"-10" clearance on either side, my back bike rack it touching the back wall and the hitch clears the door by about 2". So all in all I'm what some would call TIGHT!

It took me about 2-hours to get it in there and getting it out would normally not be an issue other than the batteries...
The batteries become a problem only because I have to raise the tongue jack once I hook-up and I cannot do that without power. The hand crank is in the back storage compartment and because I only have about 8"-10" along the sides I would need to either loose a ton of weight of train my Yorkie to go back there and fetch the crank.....

So as I woke up in the middle of the night thinking about this. I thought - No problem... I'll just fire up the generator that is sitting right there and put at least enough charge into the batteries to get the jack to go up. The issue is the battery connect cable for the generator is inside the trailer and I cannot get through the door to collect it.

Then I thought - NO PROBLEM... I'll just connect the main power cord to the generator and charge the batteries through the house system.
FOILED AGAIN - the power cord is also in the very back storage compartment...

So I'm sort of hooped on all my very best plans and now can only laugh at myself for not thinking this through before backing the trailer in....

Anyone, anyone got any brain storms as to how to get myself out of this TIGHT situation?

Thanks

Doug

PS here is a picture of the trailer in storage so you can get an idea of what I'm up against....

Old 12-16-2014, 03:29 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Yup,
I'd say you're in there pretty tight. Easy schmeezy thing to do is buy another set of battery charging cables & use the gen set to charge your batteries for awhile.

Another solution is to bring a good jack with you and some wood, and jack the front of the trailer up enough to get her attached to the TV. It would save you the expense of the cables that you will only need once.

You're not in a pickle at all. But like my father always told me:

"Son, you just gotta be smarter than the chickin' you tryin' to PLUCK!"
FishinHatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
Greetings all:

I have (or I think I will have) a different sort of a problem with my AS batteries...

In mid October I put my trailer into storage in the south and plan to pick it up in mid January... With it sitting in storage this long,I'm assuming that the batteries will be dead and normally that would not be an issue. As I would simply just hook-up to the trailer and get someplace that I can charge them, or drive long enough down a road that is becomes a non-issue.
Either way, this should not be a big problem.... (right? - right!)

So here is where it gets a little complicated and I begin to show my Not So Smart Side.....

The trailer is in a storage unit that was (to say the least) a trick to get into. I have about 8"-10" clearance on either side, my back bike rack it touching the back wall and the hitch clears the door by about 2". So all in all I'm what some would call TIGHT!

It took me about 2-hours to get it in there and getting it out would normally not be an issue other than the batteries...
The batteries become a problem only because I have to raise the tongue jack once I hook-up and I cannot do that without power. The hand crank is in the back storage compartment and because I only have about 8"-10" along the sides I would need to either loose a ton of weight of train my Yorkie to go back there and fetch the crank.....

So as I woke up in the middle of the night thinking about this. I thought - No problem... I'll just fire up the generator that is sitting right there and put at least enough charge into the batteries to get the jack to go up. The issue is the battery connect cable for the generator is inside the trailer and I cannot get through the door to collect it.

Then I thought - NO PROBLEM... I'll just connect the main power cord to the generator and charge the batteries through the house system.
FOILED AGAIN - the power cord is also in the very back storage compartment...

So I'm sort of hooped on all my very best plans and now can only laugh at myself for not thinking this through before backing the trailer in....

Anyone, anyone got any brain storms as to how to get myself out of this TIGHT situation?

Thanks

Doug

PS here is a picture of the trailer in storage so you can get an idea of what I'm up against....

Plug the trailer cord into the truck and your jack will work from the truck battery.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:33 PM   #4
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Simplest solution would be to bring some blocks of wood and a jack to raise the tongue of the trailer to get hitched up. Or just connect to the TV to provide power to the jack.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:42 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Lexington , Oklahoma
Arcticfox,

I take it there is not an electrical plug in some where in the storage facility you could plug in a battery or trickle charger?

You could use your genny to charge your batteries with a battery charger (disconnect batteries first)...

Remove your battery's and keep them at your residence with a trickle charger...

You could go buy a 30 or 50 amp cord at your local RV store (never hurts to have a spare)...Or you could borrow a cord from an RV "friend"...

Maybe someone else out there has some additional (better) solutions to your dilemma.

Good luck!
Stream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
If the truck doesn't work, you can:
1. Hook the generator to a regular battery charger and connect it to the battery.
2. Assuming you have a Honda generator or your battery charging connector is the same, make your own battery charging cable. Buy a non-polarized regular extension cord or power cord with a plastic plug. Heat one pin on it with a soldering gun or torch until you can turn it in the plug. Rotate it 90 degrees and put a couple of alligator clips on the other end. Presto-battery charging cable for a few bucks.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
I agree with Shacksman on plugging into the 7-pin connector. On the VERY outside chance that doesn't work, the extra jack with blocks of wood may get you out of your pickle. But you may need to remove 12V jack from the trailer to give you ground clearance. It seems most of these 12V jacks are bolted on with 3/8" bolts that take a 9/16" wrench or socket. Disconnecting the jacks power wire may be necessary, too. My Dad always said "Too soon old, too late smart!" Boy, was he right! Shamrock's dad and mine were very wise men!!

Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 04:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
You are assuming that storage will discharge the batteries, and that is only correct if you have left something on. I leave my trailers all winter (5 months) and when I come back all I do is re connect the batteries and there is plenty of charge to operate things. I do disconnect the batteries to be sure there is no load on them whatsoever.

So, to begin with I bet your batteries will not be dead. And in the future, disconnect them when you leave to be sure. They are in the battery box in the front of the trailer where they are accessible anyway.

But, if they are dead, the tongue jack is powered by a wire which runs directly to the batteries in the front battery box. Most likely, as mentioned by others above, the tow vehicle when connected to the umbilical cord will power the jack. Have the vehicle running.

If not, any 12 volt source having about a 15 amp capacity connected to the frame on the - side and the wire to the jack (disconnected from the batteries) to the + side will run the jack. I have used a battery charger, another battery, or even your tow vehicle battery direct connected to the jack with jumper cables.

But, probably your batteries will not be dead, so it will be a non issue anyway.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 06:55 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Long Beach , California
Hello Articfox:

Another thought would be to take the cover plate off the power jack and see what type of tool you would need to substitute for the jack handle.

My power jack has a spline the jack handle fits into. I once needed to fit a wide blade screwdriver. It took a few minutes, but I was able to raise the hitch without electric power.

Good luck!
helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 07:03 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
I hate to be a spoilsport. However leaving your batteries that long without charging them at all can easily ruin them. If you did not disconnect the battery cables from the batteries, chances are they will go totally dead because there is bound to be some little trickle discharge somewhere. Also batteries will self discharge over time even with nothing connected. Depending on how far south your trailer is, there could be other problems. Discharged batteries will freeze at a higher temperature than charged ones. If a battery does freeze solid it can crack the case. When it thaws, the sulphuric acid and water solution can leak out and damage the surrounding area. If I were you, I would make a plug that will charge the batteries through the umbilical cord, and have someone who can access the trailer, hook a battery charger to that plug you have made for a few hours every week or so.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 07:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
The minute you connect the 7 pin umbilical to the trailer the jack and all the other 12 volt appliances will work off the TV's power system. No problem here.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 07:12 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheart View Post
The minute you connect the 7 pin umbilical to the trailer the jack and all the other 12 volt appliances will work off the TV's power system. No problem here.
As long as one of the batteries has not shorted. I would make sure you have another manual jack handle available when you show up to get the trailer. The external jack idea probably won't work. It is likely that the trailer jack will have to be raised in order to pull the trailer out, once it is on the hitch ball on the truck.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:07 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Thanks everyone for the great input...
The trailer is in Vegas so frost will not be an issue. No question it was my mistake to not unhook the battery before leaving, but I just never thought of it.

A few people have mentioned that with luck the Jack should power up when I plug the trailer into the truck. If that happens I will be good to go.... If not the idea of taking it off is actually easy as I can hook into the ProPride hitch without moving the Jack at all as it will be at the same height as it was when I pulled the stinger out. After that I just need to get the Jack up so the foot is off the concrete, then I can move forward. That should not be to hard as there will not be a ton of pressure on it.

Thanks everyone for you input and great advise

Cheers
Doug

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 12-16-2014, 10:33 PM   #14
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
I hate to be a spoilsport. However leaving your batteries that long without charging them at all can easily ruin them. If you did not disconnect the battery cables from the batteries, chances are they will go totally dead because there is bound to be some little trickle discharge somewhere. Also batteries will self discharge over time even with nothing connected. Depending on how far south your trailer is, there could be other problems. Discharged batteries will freeze at a higher temperature than charged ones. If a battery does freeze solid it can crack the case. When it thaws, the sulphuric acid and water solution can leak out and damage the surrounding area. If I were you, I would make a plug that will charge the batteries through the umbilical cord, and have someone who can access the trailer, hook a battery charger to that plug you have made for a few hours every week or so.

Ken
Ken is spot on! Physically disconnect your batteries when you store the trailer, and when they are fully charged. If they have been setting in storage for a couple of weeks, pull them out of the trailer, take them home and charge them. Reinstall when you pull the trailer out of storage.

Or, go to Costco and pick up a couple of new ones when you come back down. (I just read you're a long way from the trailer).
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:38 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Doug-
Spend $5 for a socket that fits the upper / manual gear stud on the camper jack and your ratchet (that you have in your tool kit - riiiight???) instead of the provided "crank" - ratchet turns instead of half turns on the manual connector because the propane tanks are in the way of the crank connection.

You will need to raise it manually to hitch up AND then also manually (this will take some effort) retract it to move your AS so that the bottom of the jack tube doesn't dig into the asphalt as you clear the cement (a hydraulic jack would assist in raising the coupler to connect to ball, but does nothing to prevent "the dig" in)... when clear of the storage unit, hook up gen for a short interval charge and go on your way. We have been there, too! If it is now stored relatively level, you will most likely need to be able to retract ... not just raise your AS in order to safely move it.

Not sure if your batts are very low, that the jack will get enough power from the truck through the small gauge wiring in the umbilical .... without causing other issues. It is a high current draw to the jack. When the batt voltage drops, the current needed to the jack increases - for us- to the point of blowing the slow blow fuse (get some spares, too). Over time, the batts will come up when connected to your TV, but in that same period of time you can manually crank and be on your way. Have fun and see you next summer north of the border.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:55 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Yep ... My Dad was an accountant. He thought I was a genius with mechanical things!
Dave-Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 06:55 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
Doug-
Spend $5 for a socket that fits the upper / manual gear stud on the camper jack and your ratchet (that you have in your tool kit - riiiight???) instead of the provided "crank" - ratchet turns instead of half turns on the manual connector because the propane tanks are in the way of the crank connection.

You will need to raise it manually to hitch up AND then also manually (this will take some effort) retract it to move your AS so that the bottom of the jack tube doesn't dig into the asphalt as you clear the cement (a hydraulic jack would assist in raising the coupler to connect to ball, but does nothing to prevent "the dig" in)... when clear of the storage unit, hook up gen for a short interval charge and go on your way. We have been there, too! If it is now stored relatively level, you will most likely need to be able to retract ... not just raise your AS in order to safely move it.

Not sure if your batts are very low, that the jack will get enough power from the truck through the small gauge wiring in the umbilical .... without causing other issues. It is a high current draw to the jack. When the batt voltage drops, the current needed to the jack increases - for us- to the point of blowing the slow blow fuse (get some spares, too). Over time, the batts will come up when connected to your TV, but in that same period of time you can manually crank and be on your way. Have fun and see you next summer north of the border.
Ha Jerry:

Now this is interesting - I thought the manual crank had some type of cross pin slot it went into. I have never looked in there, but it just take a socket? You don't happen to know the size do you? I carry both standard and deep sockets with me all the time. I just want to make sure I have the right one.

Thanks

Doug
Old 12-17-2014, 06:56 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Nancy View Post
Yep ... My Dad was an accountant. He thought I was a genius with mechanical things!
This is soon true.....
Old 12-17-2014, 08:19 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Delmar , New York
I can confirm that trying to run the jack off the 7 pin when the batteries are low doesn't work (Hand cranking the trailer up and down several times to get the weight distribution hooked up in the pouring rain is lots of fun). I also remember having to replace to fuse around that time. Guess is wasn't a coincidence.

The manual crank takes a square socket the same size as one of the standard fittings on socket wrenches. Don't remember which one off the top of my head, I' going over to the trailer today or tomorrow and can check.
kenen42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:25 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenen42 View Post
I can confirm that trying to run the jack off the 7 pin when the batteries are low doesn't work (Hand cranking the trailer up and down several times to get the weight distribution hooked up in the pouring rain is lots of fun). I also remember having to replace to fuse around that time. Guess is wasn't a coincidence.

The manual crank takes a square socket the same size as one of the standard fittings on socket wrenches. Don't remember which one off the top of my head, I' going over to the trailer today or tomorrow and can check.
That would be GREAT if you confirm the crank socket size so I make sure I have the right one

thanks

Doug