Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 10:51 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I go about 61 regardless if the posted limit is 65, 70, 75 or 80. At 60, 55, or lower I travel at the posted speed. They'll go around you.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
Old 05-01-2015, 11:16 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
I drive the posted speed limit up to 70 and depending on traffic/road conditions. We only tow about 15,000 miles/year. You always have to be on your A game when towing
Old 05-01-2015, 11:24 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
I doubt there would be, but are there any published insurance statistics as to the number of RV rear-ending accidents at speed that occur annually across the population?
Old 05-01-2015, 11:27 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Richmond , Texas
Vanity plate says it all!!!

When we are traveling 55, anyone getting close enough to read our license plate knows why we are going 55...

31' 1981 Excella II
2001 F-250 7.3D Crew w/8'bed and Pullrite 180degree

"Ask the Man Who Owns One" (Packard, Of Course)
or
"Ask the Woman who lives with one...or more!" (Gail)
'
Old 05-01-2015, 11:49 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I just drove a mildly squirrelly Avion from Ohio to Baltimore at 60mph. On the turnpike! I definitely stayed in the right lane, used my flashers liberally and pulled off to let pent up traffic by whenever possible. USE YOUR TURN SIGNALS - give other drivers fair warning. There are aggressive people out there who'll drive dangerously regardless of your situation or needs, but most people will pass you carefully if they get your hints that you're driving slower for a reason, not just to be a putz.

I had gotten into a poor habit - not using my turn signals every time I changed lanes... If no one is close why bother? This trip, the drive was so uncomfortable that I used the signals and flashers religiously - and realized that it cued other drivers as to my next move even from 12 car lengths behind. Seems like my good behavior might have been catching.

I think a 34 foot trailer would be intimidating on some twisty hilly 2 lane roads, both for me and for other drivers - but there are many nice non-interstate alternatives.

See you driving down the road (or you'll see me at least).

Paula
Old 05-01-2015, 12:14 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Pace , Florida
Smile Don't Worry About It.

Many trucking companies govern their big rigs at 62 and sometimes 67 MPH (Fuel and Insurance reasons). These drivers are on the same roads you are on.

It's hard to not see an Airstream trailer. Just about the only people worried about driving 62 MPH are the ones driving 62 MPH.

Relax and enjoy the trip.

By the way, the requirement for flashers is driving below 45 MPH on the Interstate; not 15 MPH below the speed limit. It's a speed limit; not a speed requirement.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:30 PM   #27
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
80 MPH Speed Limits

I recently watched an Avion tridem slow to exit, then cross over the Interstate to the restaurant where I was eating. The driver knew his rig and it was a beautiful sight of skill the way he quickly but economically hossed that thing. No ordinary TT could have looked this good as to roadworthiness.

That TT is quite capable and I'm looking forward to what the future brings for you, Paula, as to suspension maintenance on a 30-yr old TT. New shocks, and I would upgrade the equalizers with the Dexter kit. All LED exterior lamps are a must.

And there are now flashing magnetic Amber lights one can attach to a bumper for the duration of a trip. That gets attention. Nights in the oilfield and glare from gas flaring make me glad the crude haulers have them. Northern Tool is one supplier, and most big truck travel centers.

I'm the same way about conspicuity tape. It works. See Pahaska on this.

Better mirrors for everyone else. There is no substitute for INSTANTLY being able to read the road behind you. Peering won't cut it.

Side glass and mirror cleaning several times daily is my work routine. RainX or better makes glass easier to clean. The windshield isn't nearly so important.

As to running 70+, why bother? At 72-mph in the work truck I pass most every long hauler on IH10. Sub 65 is easier on all
Old 05-01-2015, 12:37 PM   #28
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
We have "sworn off" the superslabs where possible. I rarely get "stuck" in a bad traffic or accident on the "back roads". And there is more "good stuff" to be seen off the "interstate".. If for no other reason than a happy space place.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:41 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSophie View Post
Many trucking companies govern their big rigs at 62 and sometimes 67 MPH (Fuel and Insurance reasons). These drivers are on the same roads you are on.

It's hard to not see an Airstream trailer. Just about the only people worried about driving 62 MPH are the ones driving 62 MPH.

Relax and enjoy the trip.

By the way, the requirement for flashers is driving below 45 MPH on the Interstate; not 15 MPH below the speed limit. It's a speed limit; not a speed requirement.

This had me looking into it further and it turns out that not only am I completely wrong, but the inconsistencies between states laws effectively means there's no hard fast rule any of us can use. Apparently in some states it's illegal to use hazards on private vehicles under any circumstance...

http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/hazard-light-use/

2011 Airstream International Serenity 28' - 30a/taupe
2013 Ford F150 v6-ecoboost with max tow and HD payload packages
Old 05-01-2015, 01:09 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
80 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I just drove a mildly squirrelly Avion from Ohio to Baltimore at 60mph. On the turnpike! I definitely stayed in the right lane, used my flashers liberally and pulled off to let pent up traffic by whenever possible. USE YOUR TURN SIGNALS - give other drivers fair warning. There are aggressive people out there who'll drive dangerously regardless of your situation or needs, but most people will pass you carefully if they get your hints that you're driving slower for a reason, not just to be a putz.

I had gotten into a poor habit - not using my turn signals every time I changed lanes... If no one is close why bother? This trip, the drive was so uncomfortable that I used the signals and flashers religiously - and realized that it cued other drivers as to my next move even from 12 car lengths behind. Seems like my good behavior might have been catching.

I think a 34 foot trailer would be intimidating on some twisty hilly 2 lane roads, both for me and for other drivers - but there are many nice non-interstate alternatives.

See you driving down the road (or you'll see me at least).

Paula
Illinois has a law that must use turn signals for lane changes or even pulling to side of road then must use 4 way flashers until back under way also flashers when going extremely slo. We did it yrs. ago then legislatures fig. good idea, so passed law.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:49 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Mission , Texas
Save gas

to stay with the flow': find an 18 whlr going the speed you like & tuck in about 10' back..you should get an extra 10 miles/gal!!!Red Green
Old 05-01-2015, 02:22 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I hear you on the two lane highways. I do prefer them. The "great plains" states have straight interstates that make crossing a bit faster. Now you can do it at 80 mph, and why not 5 mph over the limit? German Autobahn!

We crossed from South Dakota 80 mph to Minnesota 65 mph on I-90. What a difference! I was not traveling with the majority, not the slow few, in Minnesota.

Following a 18 wheeler is a great strategy in a snowstorm. A snow plow is even better. But the big trucks do block forward vision. I hit a big ol truck tire tread that did $3000 damage to my trailer because I didn't see it as I was following a semi. I prefer to see 2 to 3 seconds of road in front of me at my velocity. That's almost a football field length.

Anyway, traveling 62 in a 80 mph speed zone was a new experience for me. I'll get used to it I suppose.

David
Old 05-01-2015, 02:32 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Around here the worst truckers are the ones pulling house trailers. They are blocking almost 2 lanes weaving all over the road and going 80MPH with sheet metal and insulation flying off the trailer.

I am pretty fearless while driving but I try to stay off I-75 as much as possible. It is unsafe at any speed. I-65 through Birmingham is not much fun either.

Perry
Old 05-01-2015, 02:37 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Don't think thirty yearold Avions have shock absorbers. Four ways while moving in Florida is illegal unless the law has changed. Minimum speed on interstates is forty five here. Peace,jim
Old 05-01-2015, 02:40 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
In Germany I had US car much faster etc. than comrades cars, they could not keep up with us, made them very mad, plus autobahn was in stage of rebuilding bridges after ww2, only 1 lane open on bridges, so comrade would go very slo over bridges as a little in your face. No speed limits were nice. When I came back to states some construction started no interstates. I also seen first const. of rt. 66 [2lane] drove many miles in Il. & Mo. Original U.S 30 [lincoln Hiway] goes both sides of my property. I see many history buffs go by that are following orig. route, it is rite up there with rt. 66 as history.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:49 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile 80 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghamr View Post
to stay with the flow': find an 18 whlr going the speed you like & tuck in about 10' back..you should get an extra 10 miles/gal!!!Red Green
Tucking 10 ft. behind you will not see green but red, [your blood if any thing goes wrong]. I understand rule of thumb is 1 car length behind for every 10 mph. I have seen 2 many bad rear enders caused by tailgating, and yes I go fast but keep distance from rear.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:01 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Me F150 eco boost has instant fuel economy readout on the dash and it is amazing to watch it go to hell as speed goes over 65. At 55 she sips at 65 she drinks and at 75 she gulps like a sailor on shore leave. (almost double the 55 rate) I am no longer in as much of a hurry as I once was.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:41 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Judging distance or space in feet or car lengths is flawed. How can you judge 10' or 100' while traveling? Does car length refer to a VW Beetle or a Cadillac limo?
The better way to control space in front of your vehicle is to keep 6 (or 7) seconds between you and the car ahead. Leave the house 6 seconds sooner.
To gauge 6 seconds, let the car ahead pass a stationary object (street sign, intersection, tree, etc.). Then begin to count one thousand one, one thousand two...one thousand six. If you get to the stationary object before "one thousand six" slow down to create more space.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
Old 05-01-2015, 04:41 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
We've had an 80 MPH speed limit on many of the interstates here in Wyoming for a year or so. However, it seems to me that most people still drive 75ish, except for people with green license plates (Colorado). They drive 90. The State Patrol really likes green license plates. I personally rarely exceed 75, or 65 when dragging the trailer.

In some remote parts of Wyoming, the interstates are the only realistic route to get anywhere, like from Buffalo to Sheridan. So it's not uncommon to see really slow vehicles, like tractors and agriculture equipment on the interstate, and its all perfectly legal. Usually though, you can see far enough to avoid problems. Fortunately, the volume of traffic here is much lower than in most other parts of the country. There are parts of I-25 that if we can see more than two or three cars at any one time, we start feeling stressed by all the traffic.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:51 PM   #40
RAH
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
to the OP "More states are upping their speed limits due to safer vehicles and safer highways."
This is not my view. People are idiots and legislators are idiots too. Everyone likes to drive too fast. The laws of physics have not changed in 40 years, and when the crash happens the results are predictable.
And why is everyone in such a hurry? Just because they left too late, or to see the person they are talking to on the phone while driving.
Closed Thread