Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 02:12 PM   #99
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Most states allow the use of Hazard lights while driving, ..a few allow it only provided it's due to a hazard, slow speed, etc. A few states claim no allowance for their use... but digging deeper into the regs, in most instances it is a "defense to prosecution" if extraordinary reasons exist for their use. (You can beat the "rap" but you can't beat the 'ride".)

AAA lists the states and Canadian provincial rules in a simple post:
Hazard Light Use | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws

Old 05-08-2015, 07:16 PM   #100
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
One is led to believe that -- barring weather, fully stopped traffic or a pretty fair grade -- that the vehicle operator has a problem for which he is seeking the nearest exit with services when the hazard switch is engaged.

In practice, we joke that the recent immigrants believe that all is legal once one has the four ways on. No need to stop, Houston is only another 90 miles.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
Old 05-10-2015, 06:15 PM   #101
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
On our trip this past week, we were on some long stretches of 80 mph interstates in Utah. Mostly everyone passed us except for some overloaded 18 wheelers (an assumption, of course; I don't have a weigh station with me). Very few seemed to be flying by and it was not much different than a 75 mph or 70 mph speed limit. I suspect on these highways, people drive 70-75 regardless.

Gene
Old 05-11-2015, 09:50 AM   #102
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Angry 80 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
On our trip this past week, we were on some long stretches of 80 mph interstates in Utah. Mostly everyone passed us except for some overloaded 18 wheelers (an assumption, of course; I don't have a weigh station with me). Very few seemed to be flying by and it was not much different than a 75 mph or 70 mph speed limit. I suspect on these highways, people drive 70-75 regardless.

Gene
I no you stated assumption of over weight semis , but they have to scale on highway, and if over there is terrific fines plus can not move from scale parking lot until load is reduced to limits for that state and good possibilty of jail time. A lot of trucking companies have installed speed limiters, if at max wght. they would seem to be over loaded.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:16 AM   #103
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
It does happen. I hauled a load of tomatoes from the VA eastern shore to KY overloaded. Had to route around every scale, it was not a pleasant trip.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:37 AM   #104
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
80 MPH Speed Limits

In todays world overloaded trucks are going to be a rarity. Most overloaded trucks today will be engaged in local or regional transport of produce, grain, dirt, and rocks, etc. that will only be caught with a portable scale.

Many states charge $2.00 a pound overweight or more, it is not worth the risk.

Many of the trucks that "seem" overloaded are simply underpowered corporate owned trucks.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

Old 05-11-2015, 11:17 AM   #105
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
I tow at max 60mph, whatever the speed limit.

Last Friday, when picking up our Airstream from CanAm (where we had work done over the winter) in London, Ontario, to deliver her to her summer parking spot in Hamilton, I spent twenty miles on the main 401 highway getting cut off by idiots before going "screw this" and taking the next exit, then following the old rural Highway 2 that runs a mile to the north.

All stress instantly disappeared, traffic dropped to almost nothing, I stopped for lunch in a pleasant little town, had some nice conversations and a good cup of coffee, then arrived at my destination maybe an hour later, but infinitely more relaxed and happier than had I stayed on the 401.

Same here, Andy. I rolled gently down Highway 3, the Talbot Trail, from Can-Am to Chatham. It was good to get the feel for towing again after the six month lay-off and to do it on an almost empty road.

I have no fear of towing on Expressways/Highways (whatever you want to call them) and I do around 100 Km/h, which is a nice round 62 mph. That speed is higher than any posted minimum speed limit I've come across and I feel perfectly at ease regardless of what's going on around me. No, I don't want someone to rear-end me but neither do I want to be bullied into driving at a higher speed than I feel comfortable with. Should I use the slower roads? Maybe, that's my choice, but I'm breaking no rules by driving at 62mph and supposedly "keeping up with the flow (at 75mph)" does not trump safe and sensible driving at a speed that will allow me a greater chance to avoid disaster.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
Old 05-12-2015, 02:49 PM   #106
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The only true speed limit is the speed of light. Anything below that is just a number. I am for unlimited speed limits. Life begins at 100 MPH although not while pulling a trailer. Too bad most trucks have 100 MPH speed limiters, at least the Fords do. This might be the only advantage to the Cayenne, no speed limiter.

Perry
Old 05-12-2015, 03:45 PM   #107
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Aldie , Virginia
80 MPH Speed Limits

Tangent - the 1950s five ton capacity dump truck I drove in the summer of 1989 for the astronomical observatories had a speed limit of 93 when empty and going down the Mt Lemmon highway, and a speed limit of about 8mph when filled with asphalt and traveling back up.

... And traveling up we could not utilize any pullout as they were not reinforced at the time, so the full 29 some miles to the observatory was driven in one shot. :-P

2011 Airstream International Serenity 28' - 30a/taupe
2013 Ford F150 v6-ecoboost with max tow and HD payload packages
Old 05-16-2015, 09:55 PM   #108
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
There may not be a lot of overloaded semis, but we see them parked at weigh stations out west. Some people will always try to beat the limits and there aren't many ways around weigh stations in parts of the west with few roads. There's a strong strain of anti-gov't sentiment out here and sticking it in the eye of the state seems to be fun. Or they were just too lazy or pressed for time to weigh the truck before they started a trip. How did I think some were overweight?—they were going really slowly up long grades—40 mph or so at times. Maybe they were really old trucks with worn out engines.

Gene
Old 05-17-2015, 12:39 AM   #109
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
80 MPH Speed Limits

The vast majority of the trucks parked at weigh stations are presenting paperwork, are detained for not having the right paperwork, are in the midsts of a safety inspection, are placed out of service for a vehicle safety issue, or placed out of service for an hours of service violation.

I am not being argumentative, just telling it like it is.

The power rating of truck engines varies widely, so an engine need not be worn out to be slow up a hill. 11 liter engines are common as are 16 liter engines, and engines in between.

I remember back in the day climbing grades at 15 mph or less worried that I didn't have a lower gear than 1st... In a truck that was not overloaded....

Frankly, the scales out west, particularly in New Mexico, Arizona, California, and Oregon are major pains in the donkey, much mor so than most other states.

They will claim this is for safety, but it is about revenue at least as much.

FWIW, I am not so much "anti government" as much as I am "anti politician".

Old 05-17-2015, 02:41 AM   #110
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
And some states allow trucks to take their mandated 10-hr break at a closed weigh station.

Speed on grades is not, as above, an indication of truck weight.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
Old 05-17-2015, 02:54 AM   #111
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
David: why not join the rest of us and get an Airstream moho? The best of both worlds.

Perry: I think Porsche does the same as BMW and most other German cars: the speed limiter is based on the configuration as sold, especially the OEM tires. My X5 is limited to 130 mph, the X5M limits at 155. so far that has been adequate for my needs.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:32 PM   #112
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Ok, there are other reasons for being parked at a weigh station. But why do some trucks go up grades so slowly if they aren't overweight or their engines aren't ok for interstate speeds? Saving fuel?

Gene