Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 05:15 PM   #101
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
On our trip this past week, we were on some long stretches of 80 mph interstates in Utah. Mostly everyone passed us except for some overloaded 18 wheelers (an assumption, of course; I don't have a weigh station with me). Very few seemed to be flying by and it was not much different than a 75 mph or 70 mph speed limit. I suspect on these highways, people drive 70-75 regardless.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:50 AM   #102
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Angry 80 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
On our trip this past week, we were on some long stretches of 80 mph interstates in Utah. Mostly everyone passed us except for some overloaded 18 wheelers (an assumption, of course; I don't have a weigh station with me). Very few seemed to be flying by and it was not much different than a 75 mph or 70 mph speed limit. I suspect on these highways, people drive 70-75 regardless.

Gene
I no you stated assumption of over weight semis , but they have to scale on highway, and if over there is terrific fines plus can not move from scale parking lot until load is reduced to limits for that state and good possibilty of jail time. A lot of trucking companies have installed speed limiters, if at max wght. they would seem to be over loaded.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:16 AM   #103
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
It does happen. I hauled a load of tomatoes from the VA eastern shore to KY overloaded. Had to route around every scale, it was not a pleasant trip.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:37 AM   #104
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
80 MPH Speed Limits

In todays world overloaded trucks are going to be a rarity. Most overloaded trucks today will be engaged in local or regional transport of produce, grain, dirt, and rocks, etc. that will only be caught with a portable scale.

Many states charge $2.00 a pound overweight or more, it is not worth the risk.

Many of the trucks that "seem" overloaded are simply underpowered corporate owned trucks.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

Old 05-11-2015, 10:17 AM   #105
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
I tow at max 60mph, whatever the speed limit.

Last Friday, when picking up our Airstream from CanAm (where we had work done over the winter) in London, Ontario, to deliver her to her summer parking spot in Hamilton, I spent twenty miles on the main 401 highway getting cut off by idiots before going "screw this" and taking the next exit, then following the old rural Highway 2 that runs a mile to the north.

All stress instantly disappeared, traffic dropped to almost nothing, I stopped for lunch in a pleasant little town, had some nice conversations and a good cup of coffee, then arrived at my destination maybe an hour later, but infinitely more relaxed and happier than had I stayed on the 401.

Same here, Andy. I rolled gently down Highway 3, the Talbot Trail, from Can-Am to Chatham. It was good to get the feel for towing again after the six month lay-off and to do it on an almost empty road.

I have no fear of towing on Expressways/Highways (whatever you want to call them) and I do around 100 Km/h, which is a nice round 62 mph. That speed is higher than any posted minimum speed limit I've come across and I feel perfectly at ease regardless of what's going on around me. No, I don't want someone to rear-end me but neither do I want to be bullied into driving at a higher speed than I feel comfortable with. Should I use the slower roads? Maybe, that's my choice, but I'm breaking no rules by driving at 62mph and supposedly "keeping up with the flow (at 75mph)" does not trump safe and sensible driving at a speed that will allow me a greater chance to avoid disaster.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
Old 05-12-2015, 01:49 PM   #106
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The only true speed limit is the speed of light. Anything below that is just a number. I am for unlimited speed limits. Life begins at 100 MPH although not while pulling a trailer. Too bad most trucks have 100 MPH speed limiters, at least the Fords do. This might be the only advantage to the Cayenne, no speed limiter.

Perry
Old 05-12-2015, 02:45 PM   #107
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
80 MPH Speed Limits

Tangent - the 1950s five ton capacity dump truck I drove in the summer of 1989 for the astronomical observatories had a speed limit of 93 when empty and going down the Mt Lemmon highway, and a speed limit of about 8mph when filled with asphalt and traveling back up.

... And traveling up we could not utilize any pullout as they were not reinforced at the time, so the full 29 some miles to the observatory was driven in one shot. :-P

2011 Airstream International Serenity 28' - 30a/taupe
2013 Ford F150 v6-ecoboost with max tow and HD payload packages
Old 05-16-2015, 08:55 PM   #108
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
There may not be a lot of overloaded semis, but we see them parked at weigh stations out west. Some people will always try to beat the limits and there aren't many ways around weigh stations in parts of the west with few roads. There's a strong strain of anti-gov't sentiment out here and sticking it in the eye of the state seems to be fun. Or they were just too lazy or pressed for time to weigh the truck before they started a trip. How did I think some were overweight?—they were going really slowly up long grades—40 mph or so at times. Maybe they were really old trucks with worn out engines.

Gene

Old 05-16-2015, 11:39 PM   #109
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
80 MPH Speed Limits

The vast majority of the trucks parked at weigh stations are presenting paperwork, are detained for not having the right paperwork, are in the midsts of a safety inspection, are placed out of service for a vehicle safety issue, or placed out of service for an hours of service violation.

I am not being argumentative, just telling it like it is.

The power rating of truck engines varies widely, so an engine need not be worn out to be slow up a hill. 11 liter engines are common as are 16 liter engines, and engines in between.

I remember back in the day climbing grades at 15 mph or less worried that I didn't have a lower gear than 1st... In a truck that was not overloaded....

Frankly, the scales out west, particularly in New Mexico, Arizona, California, and Oregon are major pains in the donkey, much mor so than most other states.

They will claim this is for safety, but it is about revenue at least as much.

FWIW, I am not so much "anti government" as much as I am "anti politician".

Old 05-17-2015, 01:41 AM   #110
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
And some states allow trucks to take their mandated 10-hr break at a closed weigh station.

Speed on grades is not, as above, an indication of truck weight.
Old 05-17-2015, 01:54 AM   #111
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
David: why not join the rest of us and get an Airstream moho? The best of both worlds.

Perry: I think Porsche does the same as BMW and most other German cars: the speed limiter is based on the configuration as sold, especially the OEM tires. My X5 is limited to 130 mph, the X5M limits at 155. so far that has been adequate for my needs.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:32 PM   #112
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Ok, there are other reasons for being parked at a weigh station. But why do some trucks go up grades so slowly if they aren't overweight or their engines aren't ok for interstate speeds? Saving fuel?

Gene

Old 05-25-2015, 12:38 PM   #113
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Being slow on upgrades can be due to being heavy.... which is not necessarily equivalent to being overweight.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:47 PM   #114
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Being slow on upgrades can be due to being heavy.... which is not necessarily equivalent to being overweight.
Sure, but what I don't understand if why a fairly modern truck can't pull a full load up a long grade on an interstate at more than 40 mph. I remember trucks 50 years ago that couldn't do it but that was 50 years ago.

Gene

Old 05-25-2015, 01:25 PM   #115
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile 80 mhp per hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Sure, but what I don't understand if why a fairly modern truck can't pull a full load up a long grade on an interstate at more than 40 mph. I remember trucks 50 years ago that couldn't do it but that was 50 years ago.

Gene
Yes but trucks 50 yrs. ago did not have gear ratio or transmissions that are in big trucks 50 yrs. ago trucks did not go as fast also trucks today are geared to run 80 mph plus. so long grades they have to run lower gears, that means slower speeds.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:07 AM   #116
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The engine may be worn down, there may be a transmission problem and the most likely reason is a truck loaded too heavy for its drivetrain. The driver may have missed some gears, the turbo may be shot, etc, et al.

Specng a truck is a science. Almost a specialty. Nothing at all like buying a pickup. Second or third owner may be doing work quite different than the original.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:59 PM   #117
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
When hauling up a steep grade it is all about horsepower. A certain amount of work must be done, foot pounds of potential energy must be gained. How fast this can be done is a factor of the power available and the load.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:20 PM   #118
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
I just reread this whole thread. Very interesting. It sure shows the entitlement mentality some people have. If I were to take one thing from it it would be something like: Don't bother me when I'm out there on the road. Don't scare me with wind blasts from big trucks, don't tailgate me while I'm putt putting along well below the speed limit. I already have white knuckles from doing this as I'm mostly a neophyte at this trailer stuff and am scared. Never mind that I'm clogging the road, interrupting commerce, slowing other people's commute and generally being a nuisance everywhere I go. Never mind that I'm unsure and therefore probably unsafe. Just stay out of my way and don't look at me as you pass. Now before you all jump on me for this post I will have you know that I think you have every Right to be out there doing your thing on the highways and byways of America. But I sure do hope you all know what a nuisance you are and how doing your thing puts a lot of people out. When I go up to my land I take US 169 around the west side of Mille Lacs Lake. It is marked as a scenic route on most maps. But I just want to get there as I've made the trip about 400 times now. It's a two lane road so the speed limit is 55. I just wish the campers and MoHos would do 55. Or 45 even. Have a thought that not everyone is retired or on vacation. Not pretend that they are the Only ones on the road.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:08 PM   #119
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I've driven 169 north only about 10 times. It is very pretty around huge lake Mille Lacs and on to Atkin, Grand Rapids. If I was pulling my Airstream I may have to slow to 45 around some of the curves. And I wouldn't be able to pass a slower moving truck.

I do try to pull over at safe spots to let others pass. I think that is proper etiquette RVers should have.

I can usually make speed limit on secondary roads. But I limit myself to about 62 mph on the interstates and divided highways. With the new 80 mph limits, I find my 62 causes some vehicles braking hard or even "pop their chutes" when coming up behind me.

I started this thread wondering if there were other interstate users who felt being 20 mph below the speed limit was a safety concern.

David
Old 05-26-2015, 05:39 PM   #120
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Ultradog - ironically some part of what you are saying sounds as you expressing your own entitlement? I fail to perceive many people expressing entitlement or no regard for others but I may be reading things differently

Perhaps you could provide an excerpt of what you were picking up on?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Closed Thread