Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 10:00 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Nothing against those who can, but I cant drive 55.....

I would lose my mind.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

Old 05-02-2015, 10:58 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Stick to your 55-62 ... let them fly by ...

Old 05-03-2015, 11:34 AM   #73
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Several nit picked when I stated what RETIRED POLICE OFFICER TAUGHT at drivers school I repeated this and stated he was wrong about other rules in Il. In some other threads I see this nit picking.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:42 PM   #74
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
Several nit picked when I stated what RETIRED POLICE OFFICER TAUGHT at drivers school I repeated this and stated he was wrong about other rules in Il. In some other threads I see this nit picking.
You also stated that the school was mandatory, so we're aware that you didn't have a choice of schools. I only mentioned National Safety Council certified defensive driving courses for the benefit of other readers who do have a choice. No criticism of you, explicit or implicit, was intended.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:16 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile 80 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
You also stated that the school was mandatory, so we're aware that you didn't have a choice of schools. I only mentioned National Safety Council certified defensive driving courses for the benefit of other readers who do have a choice. No criticism of you, explicit or implicit, was intended.
Thank you for this reply. Bill
Old 05-03-2015, 01:20 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I-65 through Birmingham is not much fun either.

Perry

Ditto that!
Old 05-03-2015, 05:52 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post

Just mentioned a better way-
Just sayin'-
I am a classroom trainer and trailer towing instructor for 450 employees. We have a consultant who retired from UPS with 30 years training drivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
Old 05-04-2015, 07:10 AM   #78
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Unfortunately most people who drive fast got their training from video games and movies. Also unfortunately the results of their driving is often reflected in death and destruction. Peace,jim
Old 05-04-2015, 07:33 AM   #79
2 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
How do they tell you to gauge 1 car length? Much less 6 or 7. Six seconds is a much better way. It can be gauged/counted.

A 2 second following distance will give you the 1 car length per 10 mph of speed. If you try it you will notice that as you go faster the following distance will increase as you maintain the 2 seconds.

As someone else posted, just wait for the car ahead to pass something like a light pole or sign and begin counting.

And I agree, that is the minimum for a car in perfect conditions. When I am towing I increase the following distance, but now that I think about it, I need to check how much - 4 seconds, maybe 5?
Old 05-04-2015, 08:31 AM   #80
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneS View Post
And I agree, that is the minimum for a car in perfect conditions. When I am towing I increase the following distance, but now that I think about it, I need to check how much - 4 seconds, maybe 5?
A lot of things need to happen inside your following interval:
1 - You have to see that the car or truck ahead of you has a problem;
2 - You need to react, i.e. step on the brake; and
3 - You need to roll to a complete stop.
All of these things need to happen before you rear-end the driver ahead of you.

Following intervaló I prefer to call it a following interval since we're talking time, not distanceó is based on the worst-case scenario.

If you have reduced visibility for any reason, you should increase your following interval, because it's harder to see if the vehicle ahead has a problem.

If your reaction time is impaired for any reason, you should increase your following interval. This includes driving on cruise control. When you're not using cruise control, you start to slow down as soon as you release the accelerator even before your foot hits the brake; on cruise control, you don't start to slow down until you have positive pressure on the brake pedal and the electronics disconnect the cruise control. That can account for a full second or more of "oh-my-god-we're-all-going-to-die" time, depending on how long it takes to get your foot onto the brake in the first place.

If there's any reason to expect you'll lose traction or take longer to stop, your following interval should increase. Wet pavement, downhill grade, bad road surface, having to also stop the guy who rear-ends you because he is following too close, whatever.

Not every driving course agrees as to what "formula" to use. The last NSC-certified defensive driving course I took recommended a 4-second following interval, increased by one second for each adverse condition.

By the way, towing a trailer accounts for at least TWO adverse conditions all by itself: (1) your total vehicle+trailer weight is higher than the tow vehicle's GVWR; and (2) your ability to maneuver is impaired. So if you have a minimum following interval of 4 seconds in your tow vehicle alone, it automatically increases to at least 6 seconds as soon as you hitch up, even if driving conditions are otherwise perfect.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:43 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I have been checking secondary roads to travel as I don't want to be the one that caused the accident by driving too slow. WHAT'S THE HURRY anyway, you are on vacation. The stopping rules will still apply though.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:39 AM   #82
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Never tailgate a tailgater! Jim
Old 05-04-2015, 09:44 AM   #83
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile 80 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Unfortunately most people who drive fast got their training from video games and movies. Also unfortunately the results of their driving is often reflected in death and destruction. Peace,jim
Many young people can not drive stick shift vehicles and do not have a clue as to how to read road conditions and adjust driving. I see many rear end accidents when raining or winter cond. and to fast for cond.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:04 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneS View Post
A 2 second following distance will give you the 1 car length per 10 mph of speed. If you try it you will notice that as you go faster the following distance will increase as you maintain the 2 seconds.

As someone else posted, just wait for the car ahead to pass something like a light pole or sign and begin counting.

The someone that mentioned counting the distance from a fixed object was me.
To establish the following distance initially ( other than leaving the house earlier) is to count one thousand one, one thousand two before you pull away from the stop. Then, let the car ahead pull away before increasing your speed.

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
Closed Thread