Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 07:43 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I have been checking secondary roads to travel as I don't want to be the one that caused the accident by driving too slow. WHAT'S THE HURRY anyway, you are on vacation. The stopping rules will still apply though.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:39 AM   #82
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Never tailgate a tailgater! Jim
Old 05-04-2015, 08:44 AM   #83
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile 80 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Unfortunately most people who drive fast got their training from video games and movies. Also unfortunately the results of their driving is often reflected in death and destruction. Peace,jim
Many young people can not drive stick shift vehicles and do not have a clue as to how to read road conditions and adjust driving. I see many rear end accidents when raining or winter cond. and to fast for cond.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:04 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneS View Post
A 2 second following distance will give you the 1 car length per 10 mph of speed. If you try it you will notice that as you go faster the following distance will increase as you maintain the 2 seconds.

As someone else posted, just wait for the car ahead to pass something like a light pole or sign and begin counting.

And I agree, that is the minimum for a car in perfect conditions. When I am towing I increase the following distance, but now that I think about it, I need to check how much - 4 seconds, maybe 5?

The someone that mentioned counting the distance from a fixed object was me.
To establish the following distance initially ( other than leaving the house earlier) is to count one thousand one, one thousand two before you pull away from the stop. Then, let the car ahead pull away before increasing your speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
Old 05-04-2015, 01:10 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
All of that is for ideal conditions- sunshine, dry, moderate temperatures.
The following distance should increase/speed decrease to allow for rain, night, traffic and other hazards.

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 05-04-2015, 01:24 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Most of the highways where I am at are 70mph with 75 being pretty standard and a good number at 80mph.

I go 62 almost entirely if speed limit permits.

Because of this, I have been able to choose routes not using major interstates.

Note that using google maps, its stated projected travel time is based on the posted speed limit. If a large amount you will be 8 mph under that limit, your travel time will vary a bit (although not all that much really in my experience).

As such though, the "back ways" we have chosen lately have been often 50-60mph back road highways, making for a much more pleasurable trip with also more interesting places to pull off and eat lunch or stop to use the bathroom.

I have as such noticed almost no real difference in drive time with these routes...some of the roads may in some cases be a bit more bumpy in parts, more winding turns here and there...and as such I quickly discovered my stock drawer latches did nothing to keep them in place in transit.

As Gene said earlier...for me over 65 just starts to feel "not right".

Old 05-04-2015, 02:36 PM   #87
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I bought one of the GPS for RV's. I have 63 programed into it as the maximum speed. Works pretty well for me. 63 on the GPS is 65 on my speedometer so I think I am going a little faster. We sometimes travel faster than that. You have to pay good attention on the side roads also. All kinds of things stop in the middle of the road. Lots of times I have had cars come from a side road, look carefully both ways, and then decide to pull out after I am a lot closer to them than I want to be.
I try not to think of other drivers as "idiots" while I am driving. They may be, but I still have to deal with them and my game is much better when I am not in a "pounding on the dash" mood.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:50 AM   #88
1 Rivet Member

Miami , Florida
Flashers

According to AAA, use of emergency flashers differs among the states. You can't use them in Florida if you are moving. Same for LA. But GA doesn't seem to mind when you flash.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:56 AM   #89
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by willmck42 View Post
According to AAA, use of emergency flashers differs among the states. You can't use them in Florida if you are moving. Same for LA. But GA doesn't seem to mind when you flash.
I won't use them while moving anyway. Turning on your emergency flashers means that you don't have turn signals or brake lights anymore because the flashers override both.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:09 AM   #90
RAH
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Remember the good old days....
when 62 was speeding?
Old 05-05-2015, 06:20 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by willmck42 View Post
A bit off topic, but interestingly it is legal in all states and Canadian Provinces for motorcycles to be operated with what is called "Modulating" headlights.

It looks as though they are flashing, but in fact, they must meet specific specs and do not turn completely off/on but rather "modulate" bright/dim within specific limits of illumination and specific frequency range. They must revert to a steady light when dark and have photocells to ensure this.

They are only legal on motorcycles, and some people debate their usefulness, but they are intended to increase safety for the rider.

One of the most common bike accidents occurs when a car driver approaching a bike from the opposite direction choses to make a left turn in the face of the approaching bike the getting T-boned by the bike. The bike rider comes of worse obviously and generally the car driver claims afterwards that he/she "Never saw the bike!"

Only a small percentage of bikes use them - I do. I have seen much evidence over the years to convince me that they are effective.

They are a mixed blessing. I believe that they serve the intended purpose well, but no doubt annoy some other road users.

I am forever having people ask me if I know my lights are flashing! I have also had a few people pull off the road when I come up behind them!

I have been stopped twice over the years by police officers not aware of the legality, and so I carry a copy of the DOT regulations, and try to politely show them to the officer without seeming like a smart ass!

It has worked on both occasions! Surprising that the officers don't know about it, but I suppose they have an awful lot regulations that it must be hard to know them all!

The modulating devices have been legal to use on bikes for over ten years but t my knowledge, no bikes come equipped with them, you must install them as an aftermarket device.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:52 PM   #92
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have seen bikes with modulating brake/tail lights, too. It does get attention- at least from other motorcycle riders-

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 05-05-2015, 12:54 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I do tow the trailer lights on all the time regardless of weather conditions. This should make me more visible. I drive my 1999 Nissan Pathfinder lights on all the time even when not towing. The other cars have an automatic setting. You can set them to on, but I don't always think about it.

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 05-05-2015, 01:33 PM   #94
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
The last couple of days we have driven on interstates with 80 mph speed limits, like I-90 in South Dakota. More states are upping their speed limits due to safer vehicles and safer highways.

I mosey along at my usual 62 mph with Airstream in tow. Trailer tires are rated for 65 mph. My Super Duty uses more fuel in headwinds, and more fuel at higher speeds.

Passing traffic is now running 20 mph faster than slow old me. Traffic appears from behind the trailer and zip they are by. I was surprised that even Class 8 trucks by owner - operators were running a good 70 mph and sometimes more. They must be using more fuel.
I too have noticed a change in overall speeds, partly due to higher speed limits, partly just due to changes in how people drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
My plan is to get off the interstate highway system and stay off whenever possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Stay off the interstates and use back roads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Back roads are best for slow drivers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Stay off the interstates with your new AS!! You will have more fun!
Good advice at times. The OP's route in I-90 would be much more time consuming on one of the parallel routes, though, and there's not much to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
From time to time, check the trailer brakes when you have some quiet road. You'll find the trailer brakes aren't very good, but you want to make sure they work.
My trailer brakes work great, as they should. If they don't work great, they need service, or a better controller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Another thing—do you checks all your lights before you leave in the morning? We do after we hitch up to make sure all the contacts in the plug are working, the wiring is good and the bulbs work. You can do it all yourself except the brake lights, but it is easier with 2 people. I suppose you can wedge the brake pedal down, but better to have someone else look. Make sure the key is on in the tow vehicle to make sure the brake lights and turn signals work.
I check mine regularly. I consider it sufficient to turn on the hazards and the parking lights, then walk around the trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
I use the 4-ways to check the brake lights. Not a perfect check - there could be a wiring problem in the truck - but very close to perfect.
It is possible for the left and right wires to be reversed. It is possible for the turn signals to work but not the brake lights, if something's up with the tow vehicle wiring or the little converter box if you have one. I see these things as the proper subject of an annual maintenance check, though, not a daily one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
I have been checking secondary roads to travel as I don't want to be the one that caused the accident by driving too slow. WHAT'S THE HURRY anyway, you are on vacation. The stopping rules will still apply though.
Depends, sometimes the journey is more important than the destination, sometimes not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
A bit off topic, but interestingly it is legal in all states and Canadian Provinces for motorcycles to be operated with what is called "Modulating" headlights.

It looks as though they are flashing, but in fact, they must meet specific specs and do not turn completely off/on but rather "modulate" bright/dim within specific limits of illumination and specific frequency range. They must revert to a steady light when dark and have photocells to ensure this.

They are only legal on motorcycles, and some people debate their usefulness, but they are intended to increase safety for the rider.

One of the most common bike accidents occurs when a car driver approaching a bike from the opposite direction choses to make a left turn in the face of the approaching bike the getting T-boned by the bike. The bike rider comes of worse obviously and generally the car driver claims afterwards that he/she "Never saw the bike!"

Only a small percentage of bikes use them - I do. I have seen much evidence over the years to convince me that they are effective.

They are a mixed blessing. I believe that they serve the intended purpose well, but no doubt annoy some other road users.

I am forever having people ask me if I know my lights are flashing! I have also had a few people pull off the road when I come up behind them!

I have been stopped twice over the years by police officers not aware of the legality, and so I carry a copy of the DOT regulations, and try to politely show them to the officer without seeming like a smart ass!

It has worked on both occasions! Surprising that the officers don't know about it, but I suppose they have an awful lot regulations that it must be hard to know them all!

The modulating devices have been legal to use on bikes for over ten years but t my knowledge, no bikes come equipped with them, you must install them as an aftermarket device.

Brian.
I have ridden extensively and have come to the conclusion that the same safety benefit can be obtained by having a visually prominent motorcycle and a helmet and jacket in a matching color. Red or yellow motorcycle with faring, e.g. The modulating headlights are irritating to other road users while red, yellow, other bright colors are not.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:06 PM   #95
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I have ridden extensively and have come to the conclusion that the same safety benefit can be obtained by having a visually prominent motorcycle and a helmet and jacket in a matching color.
When I was still working for a living, the Corps of Engineers required motorcycle and bicycle riders on the Corps reservation to wear a reflective safety vest, just like highway construction workers wear.

There's something to be said for looking like a rolling traffic cone if you want people to see you…

I don't ride, but I carry one of these vests in each vehicle in case I have a breakdown and need to step out of the vehicle near a traffic lane. I highly recommend that you do, too. Look for vests that meet ANSI 107-2010 Class 2 requirements. These are three-color vests, safety yellow-green and safety orange with a specified minimum number of square inches of reflective stripes. Available from Amazon and other retailers.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:29 PM   #96
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
I have one of those jackets too. I call it my "hit me" jacket. If I get hit while wearing it I can claim assault with intent.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:44 PM   #97
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I wear lime green, yellow, orange, or chartreuse while riding and I ride with the high beam and driving lights on. I also enjoy the stereo.

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 05-05-2015, 06:16 PM   #98
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
This past weekend we drove from Stillwater, OK to Kansas City and back. On the way up we drove on I-35. On the way home we avoided the Interstates. Since I normally drive about 60, there was little difference in travel time.

The driver's seat in our MH is even with that of an 18-wheeler's, and the forward visibility is great. I can see problems far in advance and change lanes or slow down as needed. I know I'll give that up when we go to an Airstream, but even an F250 puts me above most other vehicles.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
Old 05-07-2015, 01:12 PM   #99
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Most states allow the use of Hazard lights while driving, ..a few allow it only provided it's due to a hazard, slow speed, etc. A few states claim no allowance for their use... but digging deeper into the regs, in most instances it is a "defense to prosecution" if extraordinary reasons exist for their use. (You can beat the "rap" but you can't beat the 'ride".)

AAA lists the states and Canadian provincial rules in a simple post:
Hazard Light Use | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws
Old 05-08-2015, 06:16 PM   #100
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
One is led to believe that -- barring weather, fully stopped traffic or a pretty fair grade -- that the vehicle operator has a problem for which he is seeking the nearest exit with services when the hazard switch is engaged.

In practice, we joke that the recent immigrants believe that all is legal once one has the four ways on. No need to stop, Houston is only another 90 miles.
Closed Thread