Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 11:20 AM   #61
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Now for spacing between vehicles: I like to see them on the horizon. That's about close enough for me. The best thing I find, well almost, about sitting up high driving a truck is that in traffic I can usually see several cars ahead to read the brake lights before the one in front of me hits them. I pay close attention to what's up ahead as far as I can see. From time to time we do find ourselves out west in states that have the 80mph speed limit. It don't mean much to me since I don't plan to ever get to 80 while towing.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 05-02-2015, 11:22 AM   #62
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Another thing—do you checks all your lights before you leave in the morning? We do after we hitch up to make sure all the contacts in the plug are working, the wiring is good and the bulbs work. You can do it all yourself except the brake lights, but it is easier with 2 people. I suppose you can wedge the brake pedal down, but better to have someone else look. Make sure the key is on in the tow vehicle to make sure the brake lights and turn signals work.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Old 05-02-2015, 11:53 AM   #63
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Another thing—do you checks all your lights before you leave in the morning? We do after we hitch up to make sure all the contacts in the plug are working, the wiring is good and the bulbs work. You can do it all yourself except the brake lights, but it is easier with 2 people. I suppose you can wedge the brake pedal down, but better to have someone else look. Make sure the key is on in the tow vehicle to make sure the brake lights and turn signals work.

Gene

I use the 4-ways to check the brake lights. Not a perfect check - there could be a wiring problem in the truck - but very close to perfect.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Old 05-02-2015, 03:05 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
When I stated 1 car length for every 10 mph was what I was told at 2 dif. mandatory driving classes, evidently instructor was not versed on this. PS the instructor at both classes is retired POLICE OFFICER, also he was wrong about a few other things that he taught, when Il. rules state dif.

How do they tell you to gauge 1 car length? Much less 6 or 7. Six seconds is a much better way. It can be gauged/counted.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
Old 05-02-2015, 03:09 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
I use the 4-ways to check the brake lights. Not a perfect check - there could be a wiring problem in the truck - but very close to perfect.

If you check your lights before day/after dark you can see them, especially if the trailer is backed up to a building or fence. A rear view camera helps, too. Sometimes I'll lie a piece of wood or a brick on the brake pedal and walk around and look.
It is easy to check stop/tail/turn/4-ways of the tow vehicle by the reflection on the front of the trailer.
A helper/spouse is handy, too.

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 05-02-2015, 06:14 PM   #66
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
When I stated 1 car length for every 10 mph was what I was told at 2 dif. mandatory driving classes, evidently instructor was not versed on this. PS the instructor at both classes is retired POLICE OFFICER, also he was wrong about a few other things that he taught, when Il. rules state dif.
So would that be 1 TV-trailer length for every 10mph?
Old 05-02-2015, 06:57 PM   #67
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
It's called a recreational vehicle for a reason, no need to be up tight or have your spouse up tight because of speed. I tow at the speed limit to a maximum of 55 and use the turnouts to let any traffic build up pass. It may take a bit longer to get there but build that into your plan, relax and enjoy.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:37 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
I tow at max 60mph, whatever the speed limit.

Last Friday, when picking up our Airstream from CanAm (where we had work done over the winter) in London, Ontario, to deliver her to her summer parking spot in Hamilton, I spent twenty miles on the main 401 highway getting cut off by idiots before going "screw this" and taking the next exit, then following the old rural Highway 2 that runs a mile to the north.

All stress instantly disappeared, traffic dropped to almost nothing, I stopped for lunch in a pleasant little town, had some nice conversations and a good cup of coffee, then arrived at my destination maybe an hour later, but infinitely more relaxed and happier than had I stayed on the 401.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:40 PM   #69
Storm Master

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
We drive around the 65-70 mph range most of the time when towing. When not towing I usually get all pent up when I get tailgated. When we are towing I can't see any awesome drivers tailgating behind me so I don't care and usually are more relaxed. I can't think of the movie right now but there was a scene in one where the driver gets behind the wheel and breaks off the rear view mirror and says "what's behind me is not important". We pull over when its safe to let those running late or just love to drive fast and always wave politely when they zoom past. Sometimes they give us the single digit salute but I just smile and wave. We also try and avoid the big IH roads when ever possible. I also flash my headlights for passing truckers to indicate they have cleared our rig when passing us. Those folks are some hard working Americans and deserve some courtesy. Drive friendly and arrive safe.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:53 PM   #70
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
I tow at max 60mph, whatever the speed limit.

Last Friday, when picking up our Airstream from CanAm (where we had work done over the winter) in London, Ontario, to deliver her to her summer parking spot in Hamilton, I spent twenty miles on the main 401 highway getting cut off by idiots before going "screw this" and taking the next exit, then following the old rural Highway 2 that runs a mile to the north.

All stress instantly disappeared, traffic dropped to almost nothing, I stopped for lunch in a pleasant little town, had some nice conversations and a good cup of coffee, then arrived at my destination maybe an hour later, but infinitely more relaxed and happier than had I stayed on the 401.
We're planning a trip to Kingston this July; faced with the same prospect of travelling on the 401 with our 310 turbo diesel that is comfortable at 55 mph, is crazy. I will be taking the back roads as well.

I couldn't imagine taking a 80+ mph highway with my rig.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Old 05-02-2015, 09:00 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Nothing against those who can, but I cant drive 55.....

I would lose my mind.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

Old 05-02-2015, 09:58 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Stick to your 55-62 ... let them fly by ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
Old 05-03-2015, 10:34 AM   #73
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Several nit picked when I stated what RETIRED POLICE OFFICER TAUGHT at drivers school I repeated this and stated he was wrong about other rules in Il. In some other threads I see this nit picking.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:42 AM   #74
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Several nit picked when I stated what RETIRED POLICE OFFICER TAUGHT at drivers school I repeated this and stated he was wrong about other rules in Il. In some other threads I see this nit picking.
You also stated that the school was mandatory, so we're aware that you didn't have a choice of schools. I only mentioned National Safety Council certified defensive driving courses for the benefit of other readers who do have a choice. No criticism of you, explicit or implicit, was intended.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:16 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile 80 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
You also stated that the school was mandatory, so we're aware that you didn't have a choice of schools. I only mentioned National Safety Council certified defensive driving courses for the benefit of other readers who do have a choice. No criticism of you, explicit or implicit, was intended.
Thank you for this reply. Bill
Old 05-03-2015, 12:20 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I-65 through Birmingham is not much fun either.

Perry

Ditto that!
Old 05-03-2015, 04:52 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:

Just mentioned a better way-
Just sayin'-
I am a classroom trainer and trailer towing instructor for 450 employees. We have a consultant who retired from UPS with 30 years training drivers.

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 05-04-2015, 06:10 AM   #78
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Unfortunately most people who drive fast got their training from video games and movies. Also unfortunately the results of their driving is often reflected in death and destruction. Peace,jim
Old 05-04-2015, 06:33 AM   #79
2 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
How do they tell you to gauge 1 car length? Much less 6 or 7. Six seconds is a much better way. It can be gauged/counted.

A 2 second following distance will give you the 1 car length per 10 mph of speed. If you try it you will notice that as you go faster the following distance will increase as you maintain the 2 seconds.

As someone else posted, just wait for the car ahead to pass something like a light pole or sign and begin counting.

And I agree, that is the minimum for a car in perfect conditions. When I am towing I increase the following distance, but now that I think about it, I need to check how much - 4 seconds, maybe 5?
Old 05-04-2015, 07:31 AM   #80
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneS View Post
And I agree, that is the minimum for a car in perfect conditions. When I am towing I increase the following distance, but now that I think about it, I need to check how much - 4 seconds, maybe 5?
A lot of things need to happen inside your following interval:
1 - You have to see that the car or truck ahead of you has a problem;
2 - You need to react, i.e. step on the brake; and
3 - You need to roll to a complete stop.
All of these things need to happen before you rear-end the driver ahead of you.

Following interval— I prefer to call it a following interval since we're talking time, not distance— is based on the worst-case scenario.

If you have reduced visibility for any reason, you should increase your following interval, because it's harder to see if the vehicle ahead has a problem.

If your reaction time is impaired for any reason, you should increase your following interval. This includes driving on cruise control. When you're not using cruise control, you start to slow down as soon as you release the accelerator even before your foot hits the brake; on cruise control, you don't start to slow down until you have positive pressure on the brake pedal and the electronics disconnect the cruise control. That can account for a full second or more of "oh-my-god-we're-all-going-to-die" time, depending on how long it takes to get your foot onto the brake in the first place.

If there's any reason to expect you'll lose traction or take longer to stop, your following interval should increase. Wet pavement, downhill grade, bad road surface, having to also stop the guy who rear-ends you because he is following too close, whatever.

Not every driving course agrees as to what "formula" to use. The last NSC-certified defensive driving course I took recommended a 4-second following interval, increased by one second for each adverse condition.

By the way, towing a trailer accounts for at least TWO adverse conditions all by itself: (1) your total vehicle+trailer weight is higher than the tow vehicle's GVWR; and (2) your ability to maneuver is impaired. So if you have a minimum following interval of 4 seconds in your tow vehicle alone, it automatically increases to at least 6 seconds as soon as you hitch up, even if driving conditions are otherwise perfect.