Closed Thread
Old 05-01-2015, 09:16 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member
1994 21' Sovereign
The high country. Black Mountain range. , North Carolina
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
I run about that same speed. Getting passed like I was standing still. My plan is to get off the interstate highway system and stay off whenever possible.

WBCCI 28499
"Not all those who wander are lost"
J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 05-01-2015, 09:21 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
Minimum speed limit on Interstate Highways is 40 mph. That said, 40 mph is a bit too low for comfort. I have a friend who has driven coast to coast on Interstates at 45 mph and lived ! He has a Sprinter based RV MH, not an A/S Interstate, but similar. He likes the quiet drive and 20+ MPG he says he gets @ 45.
There is a benefit from the high speed passers passing you. The wake of the high speed passer imparts a forward force on the passed vehicle. I estimate that this can be good for a 1 mpg fuel consumption reduction while the passing vehicle's wake is impacting your vehicle. If there are enough passers, then your fuel MPG should increase by 1 MPG. The more passers, the higher the passing speed, and the shape of your vehicle can positively effect the passing benefit.
When running a vehicle with an instant MPG readout, you possibly could see the mpg flicker up. I've seen this, but unless the terrain is dead flat it is difficult to say, "the passer increased my MPG". But I think it does.
My opinion is that an A/S trailer is at a disadvantage to gaining the passing wake's benefit. The flat rear of an A/S Interstate likely makes it a good candidate to receive the full benefit.
My Featherlite toyhauler SURV trailer has a flat rear due to the ramp being the rear of the trailer. So, it gets full benefits of the wake from passing vehicles. And it is very frequently passed.
If you are running a bit below the speed of the fast movers on Interstates, then you won't be overtaking and having to switch lanes to pass slower vehicles very often. When I'm towing, I find it is a lot of work to make the pass and make it safely. Since I don't (can't) rapidly increase speed when I get in the faster lane, it takes a while to pass that slower vehicle. Before I'm ready to move back to the slower lane, some high flyer is behind me and may just go the right lane and pull around me using the slower lane. This isn't good for the driver in the slower vehicle I passed, if I think I'm still to close to it to pull back into the slower lane in front of it. The high flyer will make that right lane pass endangering me and the slower vehicle. All of this is a good reason to minimize passing any slower vehicle out on the Super Slab.
I do not know of any MPH that will keep some high flyer from running up behind you...wanting to pass you because you are too slow.
Let's face it, folks who are towing trailers are not high flyers and can't be. So, drive for MPG, safety, less vibration and jolts to your trailer, and be happy. Being out in your RV and on the road is so great, it is always a good day ! Don't worry about the speed.
Let's Roll !

Wolf Alaska
Old 05-01-2015, 09:45 AM   #17
Agent 86
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
80 MPH Speed Limits

45 on the Interstate is too dangerous period.

Anyone who wants to drive cross country at 45 to save money has tendencies that are distinctly inconsiderate of other peoples safety.

Sorry for speaking my mind so directly.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

Old 05-01-2015, 09:53 AM   #18
Rivet Master
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I agree with Morgan. Back roads are best for slow drivers. Many times there is a lot less traffic. If you are driving 45 on a two lane interstate you are a hazard and are holding up traffic.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:26 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member
2007 30' Classic
Ayr , Ontario
In Germany the max speed for trailers is 95kph. Many of the autobahns in Germany are unlimited and are only 2 lanes. If you've ever travelled there you would have experienced this. Trucks will regularly just pull out when you are going 200+. You need to be alert and always expect it. Yes it's annoying for the non towing drivers, but that's life. Build a bridge and get over it. IMO towing at speeds greater than 65mph is just unsafe. I don't care what you are towing with.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:38 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Driving 45 MPH to save $$$ and owning an Airstream would seem to be diametrically opposed concepts.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:51 AM   #21
Rivet Master
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I go about 61 regardless if the posted limit is 65, 70, 75 or 80. At 60, 55, or lower I travel at the posted speed. They'll go around you.
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
Old 05-01-2015, 11:16 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member
2012 30' Classic
Homosassa , Florida
I drive the posted speed limit up to 70 and depending on traffic/road conditions. We only tow about 15,000 miles/year. You always have to be on your A game when towing
Old 05-01-2015, 11:24 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2011 28' International
Aldie , Virginia
I doubt there would be, but are there any published insurance statistics as to the number of RV rear-ending accidents at speed that occur annually across the population?
2011 Airstream International Serenity 28'
2016 Ford F250 Crew 4x4 KR Diesel
Old 05-01-2015, 11:27 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member
1981 31' Excella II
Richmond , Texas
Vanity plate says it all!!!

When we are traveling 55, anyone getting close enough to read our license plate knows why we are going 55...
Bob (K5RPS) and Gail (MAAAA)

31' 1981 Excella II
2001 F-250 7.3D Crew w/8'bed and Pullrite 180degree

"Ask the Man Who Owns One" (Packard, Of Course)
"Ask the Woman who lives with one...or more!" (Gail)
Old 05-01-2015, 11:49 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I just drove a mildly squirrelly Avion from Ohio to Baltimore at 60mph. On the turnpike! I definitely stayed in the right lane, used my flashers liberally and pulled off to let pent up traffic by whenever possible. USE YOUR TURN SIGNALS - give other drivers fair warning. There are aggressive people out there who'll drive dangerously regardless of your situation or needs, but most people will pass you carefully if they get your hints that you're driving slower for a reason, not just to be a putz.

I had gotten into a poor habit - not using my turn signals every time I changed lanes... If no one is close why bother? This trip, the drive was so uncomfortable that I used the signals and flashers religiously - and realized that it cued other drivers as to my next move even from 12 car lengths behind. Seems like my good behavior might have been catching.

I think a 34 foot trailer would be intimidating on some twisty hilly 2 lane roads, both for me and for other drivers - but there are many nice non-interstate alternatives.

See you driving down the road (or you'll see me at least).

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:14 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member
2015 22' FB Sport
2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Pace , Florida
Smile Don't Worry About It.

Many trucking companies govern their big rigs at 62 and sometimes 67 MPH (Fuel and Insurance reasons). These drivers are on the same roads you are on.

It's hard to not see an Airstream trailer. Just about the only people worried about driving 62 MPH are the ones driving 62 MPH.

Relax and enjoy the trip.

By the way, the requirement for flashers is driving below 45 MPH on the Interstate; not 15 MPH below the speed limit. It's a speed limit; not a speed requirement.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:30 PM   #27
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
80 MPH Speed Limits

I recently watched an Avion tridem slow to exit, then cross over the Interstate to the restaurant where I was eating. The driver knew his rig and it was a beautiful sight of skill the way he quickly but economically hossed that thing. No ordinary TT could have looked this good as to roadworthiness.

That TT is quite capable and I'm looking forward to what the future brings for you, Paula, as to suspension maintenance on a 30-yr old TT. New shocks, and I would upgrade the equalizers with the Dexter kit. All LED exterior lamps are a must.

And there are now flashing magnetic Amber lights one can attach to a bumper for the duration of a trip. That gets attention. Nights in the oilfield and glare from gas flaring make me glad the crude haulers have them. Northern Tool is one supplier, and most big truck travel centers.

I'm the same way about conspicuity tape. It works. See Pahaska on this.

Better mirrors for everyone else. There is no substitute for INSTANTLY being able to read the road behind you. Peering won't cut it.

Side glass and mirror cleaning several times daily is my work routine. RainX or better makes glass easier to clean. The windshield isn't nearly so important.

As to running 70+, why bother? At 72-mph in the work truck I pass most every long hauler on IH10. Sub 65 is easier on all
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
Old 05-01-2015, 12:37 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
We have "sworn off" the superslabs where possible. I rarely get "stuck" in a bad traffic or accident on the "back roads". And there is more "good stuff" to be seen off the "interstate".. If for no other reason than a happy space place.

Peace and Blessings..
WBCCI# 30676
Closed Thread