Old 05-27-2008, 08:38 AM   #15

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Sorry to hear of your towing problems. I'm sure they are something that can be worked out.

I pull my sweet Lucy (2005 25FB) with Olivia, who is a 2005 Suburban 2500, 4x4 with the 6.0 liter gas V-8, 3.73 rear ratio, and 4 speed auto transmission. I have pulled with this combination for over 30,000 miles all over the United States. Because I like this tow vehicle so much, I recently purchased a second Suburban named Daisy. She is a 2004 2500 equiped exactly like Olivia except she is 2 wheel drive. Our towing experience with this TT/TV combination has been excellent Olivia (the 4x4) gets in the high 9's mpg when pulling at 70 mph. When I slow it down to 60 mph, I get in the mid 11's mpg. Daisy (the 2 wheel drive) got 12.8 mpg on the one short run that she has been on.

I did a little reseach on and found that the 2008 Suburban 2500 comes only with the 6.0 liter gas V-8 and the 3.73 rear end ratio. Since the 2008 has the new six speed auto tansmission, you should be pulling better than me and getting the same or better gas mileage. You are pulling the same Airstream with a better edition of the same tow vehicle.

I do use a Hensley Arrow Hitch, but this should not impact pulling capabilities or or gas mileage. It sounds like your rig is not set up properly. Sometimes RV dealers know less about towing than they do about brain surgery. I am not familiar with your brand of brake controller, so I can't comment on the setting. Read your owners' manual thoroughly and it should tell you where it should be set. Use the manual lever on the brake controller to get a feel for how it is working. Do this on a back road without ant traffic. The trailer brakes should not drag at all, yet be able to stop the whole rig without using the TV brakes at all.

Another factor that may be contributing to an unpleasant towing experience is that whatever hitch you are using is not properly set up. If you would provide further info on your hitch system and post some photos of your rig all hitched up, someone here on the Forums will be able to help. You may be set up with too much or too little tongue weight or not adjusting the WD bars properly.

I am assuming that you, in fact, have a weight distributing/sway contol hitch system. Any trailer the size and weight of a 25FB MUST have a hitch system to be safe on the road. If your dealer failed to make you aware of this, give him my name and telephone number and tell him that I said he is an incompetent idiot.

You have a great travel trailer and a great tow vehicle to pull it with. The problem must be in the set up.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2992.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	61072   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2947.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	61073  

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:50 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
I have read some threads that went like this: "I got a Suburban 2500 and I don't even notice that I am pulling anything". I have to say that that's not at all my experience.

Hi, anytime someone says that they can't tell anything is back there, is either bragging about their new-found monster truck, Diesel, lying, or shouldn't be towing on the road with the rest of us. Dangerous. I can feel the difference with more gas in the tank or one more passenger in my vehicles; And people say they can't feel the difference with 1 1/2 to 5 tons of trailer behind them! If you really can't feel that trailer behind you, then you can have major surgery with out having the doctor turning your lights out. [my opinion]
You may be thinking of a comment that I made about towing my 31'Sovereign back to Baltimore from Michigan with a 2001 2500 4x4 with the 8.1L Suburban. We came thorough the Pennsylvania mountains at night in the rain surrounded by semi's, road construction for what seemed like forever doing between 60-70 mph. It took concentration but no white knuckles and it sure didn't feel like I was towing something 31' long. It towed great with the Suburban. It did tow so smooth that you would forget it was back there. I feel my 25' Classic towing with my 2006 F350 Crew cab more that the 31' Sovereign and Suburban. The Suburban got about 9 mpg towing.

craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:07 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
You don't mention what hitch you are using... If you have an Equal-i-zer hitch, the creaking is normal. Friction if part of the anti-sway equation, so lubrication of the bar will reduce the set-up's anti-sway capability...but you can get "sway bracket jackets" from the manufacturer ( Equal-i-zer Hitch Store: Sway Bracket Jacket (pair) ) that fit between the bars and the brackets they rest on...they are made of hard plastic and will help reduce the squawks and squeals...they reduce the friction slightly but not as much as lubrication would. We use the the bracket jackets and have been pleased. there is still some creaking, but it is diminished...

As to jerky braking...try easing off on the setting just hair to get a smoother stop...we usually back off a bit for city traffic where there are more frequent stops. With a little experimentation you'll find the best setting for your situation.
TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:42 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member
2003 22' International CCD
Whittier, California , Depoe Bay, Oregon
Helge----Welcome to the forums and congratulations on the New Airstream and Suburban. Great choices in all accounts.

On the subject of fuel mileage, a lot has been written here already about the variable of gear ratio differences on mileage. More important is that a 100 mile trip is way to short a distance to draw any general conclusions about average gas consumption while towing. I'm sure you can average 8 mpg without the trailer in slow, stop & go traffic on hilly terrain. Cruising along Interstate 5 on the valley floor, is the best you can get. City/suburban surface streets will be your lowest. Report back after you take a trip of significant distance and enjoy the ride.

2003 22ft CCD Int'l
2005 GMC Yukon Denali
WBCCI #2960
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:36 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I have a Duramax/Allison combo in my truck. I can certainly tell if a trailer is hooked up. Whether it is my 16' flats boat, or my big John Deere tractor on the flatbed that scales 17,000, I know it's there. Mileage does drop, no matter what you are towing.

Even when I drove tractor-trailer in the 80's, I could tell the difference between tractor only, tractor and empty trailer, half loaded trailer or fully loaded trailer.

2003 GMC 2500HD 4X4 D/A Ext. Cab
Propane Powered Honda EU2000i
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote