Old 07-27-2004, 02:57 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member
2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
8,000 mile trip just completed

Some random thoughts and observations from a 4 week 8000 mile trip from New Hampshire to South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Utah, Colorado and home.

A 4:10 rear end is definitely the way to go. My half ton Ďburb performed fabulously. The truck now has over 100,000 and still going strong. I have logged more than 26,000 miles towing. I converted the rear end from a 3.73 to a 4:10 last year, and itís the best thing Iíve done for the truck.

RotoChocks are better than anything Iíve ever had in the past. Buy them, youíll like them.

Iíve said all Iím going to say about the Hensley. One great piece of equipment.

The Salmon fly hatch on the Madison River places that river on the ďHoly GrailĒ of fly fishing rivers. The fish are healthy and strong. My casting arm cramped up from catching monster rainbows.

Be sure to balance your wheels and hubs with your new tires. I had two hubs that were 6ozís out of balance before the wheels went on. Dexter makes no attempt to balance their hubs.

The air conditioner is weak at best and in the 110 degree heat of the Las Vegas desert it doesnít work well at all. We camped at the circus circus KOA which is like camping on a parking lot with services. The voltage dropped at the circus KOA to about 108 volts and the air conditioner really struggled. The service wire between the trailer and the pole actually got hot and the metal on the plug burned my hand. I went to Camping world and purchased an Autoformer. The Autoformer jumped the voltage to 117 and the air conditioner was much happier.

If I ever have the opportunity to switch out the air conditioner for a 15,000 btu model Iím going to do it.

Wine country in California can lead to a head ache and an empty wallet. I think we came home with over 40 bottles of wine.

Yosemite NP is over rated and four days at Las Vegas is one day too much.

I wish I had spent more time on the Oregon coast and more time in southern Utah.

Yellowstone NP is still the greatest and we visited 8 National Parks on this trip. Our National Park pass paid for itís self this year.

This is the first time in 34 years of marriage Iíve had the opportunity to spend 4 weeks alone with my dear spouse. We had a great time together.

I have never seen anything as huge as the General Sherman Giant Sequoia tree.

Pugs are great dogs and even greater travel companions.

Have a great day

-Life is a journey, not a destination.
markjoandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 03:05 PM   #2
Arr, we captain our ship!
Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Nice observations except I'd say that four days in Las Vegas is four days too many (LOL)!

Sounds like a wonderful trip.

Thanks for sharing!

Xray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 03:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master
2005 25' Safari
North Central , Texas
We found the day at Hoover Dam to be one of the best days in our visit to Vegas last year!!!
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 03:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Everything between I-40 in AZ and I-70 in UT could qualify for National Park Status, and much of it already has qualified or is part of American Indian Reservation Land.
I could definitely spend weeks there with no problem.
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 03:54 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
Richmond , Virginia
Getting ready for a similar trip. Taking the month of September to visit South Dakota, Wyoming and Colorado. Doing all the parks. Will be my first big trip in the Bambi. Had hoped to visit more parks, but decided to get to know some well and save the others for later.

Park Pass came last week.

Glad you had a swell time!

WBCCI #2468
2006 Ford F-150 Lariart 4X4
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
luckydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 06:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
To note...between I-40 in AZ and I-70 in UT, there is:
Arches NP
Canyonlands NP
Capitol Reef NP
Bryce Canyon NP
Zion NP
Grand Canyon NP
Lake Powell/Glan Canyon NRA
Petrified Forrest/Painted Desert NP
Canyon de Chelley NM
Grand Staircase Escalante NM
Vermillion Cliffs NM
Grand Canyon-Parashant NM
Najavo NM
Monument Valley Tribal Park
Cedar Breaks NM
Hovenweep NM
Natural Bridges NM
and Mesa Verde NP is nearby in Colorado
You can definitely get your money out of a Park Pass!

dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote