Old 08-30-2010, 07:32 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member
1962 19' Globetrotter
1962 22' Flying Cloud
1964 24' Tradewind
Murray , Utah
Granny was not texting.. Thank God. I was making a left.. She was making a right.. turning into the street I was pulling out of. Ok.. pulling out in front of someone is nearly as bad as rear ending.. But she had her turn signal on.. was slowing way down.. I pulled out.. Looked back to my left, saw her looking down the road I pulled out of.. Like she was looking for a business or something. It seems she decided to not turn, jumped back on the gas, nexer looked forward, and was veering across lanes to find me. Had she been paying attention, she could have easily avoided me. You know people pull out, and expect a little courtesy brake... Had she not jumped on the gas or veered, I dont think she would have needed to brake. Bottom line is.. It could have been prevented. I should have waited for her to make the turn. She should have been looking at where she was going. I did take a pic of her right turn signal (still on afterwards), that combined with where the impact occurred, and her age has got the insurance company starting over on who was at fault. Last I was told, its looking like a 50-50.. Thats what im hoping for. Luckily, I had my own policy on the Safari.. That has been a total fight too.. Hard to find comps for one, when I cant even find one for sale. But, my work paid off. The settlement for it went from $3,300 to $7,500. Theres the short version.

streamahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:27 PM   #16
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Jason, hard to make a judgment what to do when someone is obviously confused and you have to wait for them to figure out where they are and what to do. In hindsight it's easy to say "just wait", but real life isn't always that simple.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:53 PM   #17

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
I'm sure you will now, but always be skeptical of what other drivers are pretending to do, and never EVER trust a Camry. If I had to guess, she halfway registered the existence of your TV, and since the trailer didn't pop up as "car" or "truck" in her mind it just didn't exist for her. I've dodged lots of Camrys that seemed to be on autopilot.

I had this sort of entertaining interaction with car drivers all too frequently when I rode a motorcycle. It's amazing how much better people see what they EXPECT to see than what's actually there in front of them.

DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote