Old 05-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Backing up:

My favorite self taught trick is to fill an empty bottle of dish washing liquid with water - and "draw" a line from the back wheel of Airstream backwards into the parking spot where I want that wheel to end up. Then I drive the trailer over the wet line.
Best wishes, Paula
That's a good idea. At home I have a 'semi; difficult back up situation when parking the trailer. I stretch out the garden hose to 'map' where I want the trailer to track. My tool kit has 50' or so of light rope for difficult back up times. A friend carries a dozen + small garden path solar lights (me too) for light at the camp sight. He pulled in after dark at a rally site once and waved off all those who ran over with flashlights to guide him into his site. Instead he placed the solar lights, upside down, in the line of path he wanted to back up. He got a nice applause for that idea.

Neil

FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:29 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Paula, thanks for the tips, but first she has to want to do it. Women just don't take orders from men like in the good ole days.

Gene

Old 05-17-2012, 09:11 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Backing up: Steal several orange cones - find a vacant parking lot and rent or borrow a landscaper's flatbed trailer. Back up one time, showing her what you're doing with the steering wheel, then pull back out. Repeat the instructions ONCE and repeat "less is more - a quarter of a turn will turn the trailer". Then get out of the truck, and go away, turn your back and read a book or drink a few beers. Let her practice without your help/nail biting/stuffing your whole hand in your mouth to stifle the laughter. Tell her to honk the horn when she feels comfortable with you watching.

Praise her. Repeat fulsomely and frequently - praise is like chocolate without the calories!

My favorite self taught trick is to fill an empty bottle of dish washing liquid with water - and "draw" a line from the back wheel of Airstream backwards into the parking spot where I want that wheel to end up. Then I drive the trailer over the wet line.

Oil Changes: Silly, give her a gift card from "Grease Monkey" or any other well known quick lube place. She'll drive the truck down there and do it for you!

Best wishes, Paula
paula i hear what you're saying but if the trailer jackknifes it can do a lot of damage. maybe having a loud whistle at a great distance would work.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:02 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
We're light-weights.

What? 65? How did that happen?

We like keeping our days under 300 miles, and often much less. For our current trip we planned our stays so that we've rarely spent more than 5 or 6 leisurely hrs. on the road, with stops.

No health issues, etc., we just like to head out early and get to our destination in time for lunch, a little rest, a hike or bike ride to check out the local scenery, and getting back to our constantly morphing condo in time for some music, wine, and time with the pups by the camp fire.

Right now were at the North Rim Campground of the Grand Canyon, dinner's on the grill, and I can't believe I can connect to the Airforums!

In fact I have many of you to thank for all the great info. for our "Grand Circle" tour of the Natl. Pks. I used the search function like crazy while planning, and this trip has exceeded all expectations.
Thank you!

(And I agree. Both travelers need to know how to tow. If you can drive the tow vehicle, with a few adjustments for length and getting familiar with the break controller, you can tow the rig.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dead Horse Pt..jpg
Views:	71
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	158706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Devil's Garden, Arches NP.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	158707  

Old 05-18-2012, 04:26 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
paula i hear what you're saying but if the trailer jackknifes it can do a lot of damage. maybe having a loud whistle at a great distance would work.
Rent a landscaper's flat bed trailer - with a steel mesh floor (training wheels). She can see a jackknife coming and pull forward to reverse it. Even if she dings the trailer the damage will be nada as all she'll hit will be orange cones. The back corners of the tow vehicle are more problematic, but OBTW Get her a backup camera! They are cheaper than body work on the car.

Paula
Old 05-18-2012, 06:12 PM   #48
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question How far in a day?.......

That would depend on whether the destination is the reason for the trip.

On our 2010 California adventure it was important to arrive in time to party for the SIL's 60th birthday, Oct 8th.
We left Buffalo 3:30 am Sat the 2nd and arrived Simi Valley Tues the 5th 8:45 pm. 94.5hr 3.93 daze, I think....my head hertz, you 'figger it out.
49hr 30min driving time, 2658.2 mi. 53.7mph average.

I'm in my 7th decade, Sandra is vintage '49.
She grew up on a Christmas Tree farm so is well versed in trailer pulling and shared at least 8hr per day.

Normally, where the trip is whats important, it's about 350-400mi per day shared equally....most of the time.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #49
La Casita

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
I'd say it depends a lot on the terrain, traffic and weather. Six hours in bad weather and mountains in traffic might make a couple hundred miles exhausting. Nice weather/good scenery/light traffic -- maybe 400 miles in 8 or 9 hours not pushing the speed limit or really getting worn out. I go more by time and stress than by miles.

"I'd rather be happy for just one day than miserable for the rest of my life."
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:43 PM   #50
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Every time I arrived somewhere after dark, I regretted it. We've stayed at a lot of parks and heard more marrriges start to crumble since dad had to make the extra "push" and arrived late.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:49 PM   #51
Retired Fishing Guide

2005 28' Classic
Port O'Connor , Republic of Texas
We try to stay under 350 miles per day. When we leave the Texas coast in the summer , I'll run 460 the 1st day , so we can get to cooler night time temps.
WBCCI # 3133
Cap-N-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:38 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Cap:

Too funny... I'm 360 miles north of you and still looking for those cooler night temps. Little did i know all i had to do was cross the border into Oklahoma.....

Dana
Old 05-23-2012, 04:58 AM   #53
Retired Fishing Guide

2005 28' Classic
Port O'Connor , Republic of Texas
Our 2nd night is normally at Raton Pass at the RV Park at the top. I guess I should have said north-west instead of north. My, bad. My wife and I are both in our 70's
WBCCI # 3133
Cap-N-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:19 PM   #54
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
As a fellow Texan: Once the mountains are in view, the vacation has begun . . . .
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:30 PM   #55
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
We find that where you are travelling is also important in deciding how much time you will spend on the road. For example, going through large urban areas (cities) is much more stressful than open highways far from heavy traffic density. This higher stress reduces my time that I feel "fresh" while driving.
Isn't that the truth Aage. We live in Niagara and like the Northern PP's, especially Kilarney PP. The thoughts of going through Toronto traffic is such a turn off. The alternative is to go up Hwy 10 or Airport rd which takes longer but a bit less streesful. The other nice parks are State parks like Allegany or Letchworth but then we have to deal with the dang border crossings. Ya I know..... whine, whine, whine. I hate hassels...LOL
Old 05-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #56
JT

1973 27' Overlander
El Paso , Texas
I am just 63 but am enjoying this thread. I smiled when I read CrawfordGene's reference to his wife as his "trophy wife" because I can't think of a better way to describe one's life partner - been together for 33 years and think the same thing at the same time and bump into each other going to the same place. Yep, I have to be careful what I think! She doesn't change the oil but she helps set up and takes pride in it. Usually limit it to 550 per day so we can set up for dinner and a glass of wine.