Old 05-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
I'll be 80 in September. My preferred range is 300-325 miles a day. If pressed, I will go 400 if most is freeway or multi-lane.

In this part of the world (Texas), it can be a long way between RV parks. OTOH, roads are generally straighter and leveler than most of the world. That makes a big difference.

Here, I can generally travel just as fast on a Ranch to Market or Farm to Market road as I can on an interstate and with a lot less stress. That makes the estimates that GPS and map programs highly pessimistic and causes me to plot my own routes.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:44 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
Hey John,

Are you going to the Central Texas Rally in San Marcos 6/1-3?

Sam

Old 05-16-2012, 02:54 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sams View Post
Hey John,

Are you going to the Central Texas Rally in San Marcos 6/1-3?

Sam
No, sadly, I am headed for St Louis, Alumapalooza, and Michigan. I'll be at Jackson Center on 6/1.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:08 PM   #18
kds
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Frederickburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
I'll be 80 in September. My preferred range is 300-325 miles a day. If pressed, I will go 400 if most is freeway or multi-lane.

In this part of the world (Texas), it can be a long way between RV parks. OTOH, roads are generally straighter and leveler than most of the world. That makes a big difference.

Here, I can generally travel just as fast on a Ranch to Market or Farm to Market road as I can on an interstate and with a lot less stress. That makes the estimates that GPS and map programs highly pessimistic and causes me to plot my own routes.
Well, John, my friend. For someone who is almost 80 ( and that's hard for me to believe) you sure can play one mean banjo. I just hope the next time we have another talent show, I'm in your group again!!!!!

Safe Travels,

Kelly
Old 05-16-2012, 03:21 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
urnmore: All of the above are good comments. Linda and I would add that staying put for a day or three makes a longer day on the road tolerable. We max out at 500 mile days, but not in a row.
TAC VA-18 | WBAC 1927 - Shen. Valley Unit 149 | AIR 53869
https://www.linkedin.com/in/gheuer
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
I normally drive 300 to 400 miles in a day, but when traveling to a destination far away, I have driven as much as 550 miles in a day.

Dennis
Old 05-16-2012, 04:06 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
I like to "be" places, but the "getting to places" not so much. So I often try to drive pretty hard to just get there. My "longest day" so far is 850 miles. I was beat when I set the parking brake at the end of that day. 450-500 is pretty comfortable.

I'm heading to Alaska this summer, so I'll know a lot more about back-to-back long days after that. But one of the advantages of being more or less retired is that if I want to take another day or so to get somewhere, now I can. "Get-home-itis" kills a lot of pilots, and I suspect it's responsible for a lot of RV accidents too. So it's clearly better to stop before one gets exhausted. ... must ... remember ... stop ... earlier
Old 05-16-2012, 04:15 PM   #22

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Back in my younger days we would do as many as 450 miles. Now our limit is about 350 top end. Figuring a lunch stop, gas, and bathroom breaks my average speed over the course of a day comes out to be about 50 miles per hour. So 300-350 miles is around a 6-7 hour day.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:58 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I never thought I'd look back at 65 and wish I were there again, but alas, 6 years have passed. We still drive long distances. Fortunately my trophy wife can drive a lot of miles while I read or stare out the window. Not clear how long that will go on since she's eligible for social security next week.

Like others, it depends on the highways and where we are going. Going to Alaska, 450-550 miles were commonplace. Traveling interstates or in the flatlands where there isn't much traffic, that distance is also the goal. On interstates we can average 55-60 with stops for gas and lunch, sometimes we can average higher. On other roads, average speed drops to 45 if there are lots of mountains, curves, traffic and cities and towns. We've been to 49 states, all the Canadian provinces and two of their territories, so we've seen a lot and don't stop in between when we are on one of our 3,000-10,000 mile trips.

It helps that both of us drive. Taking short naps while the other is driving is refreshing. I know my days of driving 1,000 miles a day are over unless I can stop at meth labs along the way, but they are not listed on gas buddy.

We usually leave a CG around 10 (common check out time) and may travel until 6 or later (on a 45 mph day, that's 360 miles, on a 60 mph day, 480). We notice we are often the last people to leave. One of the great pleasures of being retired is not having to get up early, but it doesn't seem everyone agrees. I also notice the lights are out in most RV's much earlier than ours.

We try to avoid large cities, but out west that can be difficult as there aren't any roads around them. Trying to schedule around rush hour helps, but is not always possible.

I like to keep on moving.

Gene
Old 05-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
If headed somewhere in the summer probably 400 or so the first few days. Awful hard to stop at 3:30 in the afternoon the first couple of days with a 2000 or more miles to cover. After that, the 7 hour day thing , including lunch, works for me. Miles will vary depending on roads, etc.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
If headed somewhere in the summer probably 400 or so the first few days. Awful hard to stop at 3:30 in the afternoon the first couple of days with a 2000 or more miles to cover. After that, the 7 hour day thing , including lunch, works for me. Miles will vary depending on roads, etc.

To and from the barn I'm more likely to drive a little further, just to get past or back to the very familiar. Our trips are fairly casual, little discipline, with only broad directionality to them: north; south; east; etc. I start thinking about a sweeping loop to maximize the must-sees, minimize or eliminate backtracking, and off we go, usually sans reservation. I try to identify several spots where I might like to spend 5-7 days. Since we're retired, when we have to return is undefined, but eventually we acquire that urge to return home, briefly.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:07 PM   #26
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
It helps that both of us drive. Taking short naps while the other is driving is refreshing. I know my days of driving 1,000 miles a day are over unless I can stop at meth labs along the way, but they are not listed on gas buddy.
I wish Judy would drive, but not. When I was still working and we had limited time, I once made 755 miles to get south. I was so fried, the next morning, I had clue zero where we were or how we got there!
Old 05-16-2012, 06:17 PM   #27
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
chi-town to Portland, OR in 3 days.

That's about 750 miles a day. It was a good trip, but not my cup of tea. I was more interested in making time, however than sightseeing. 7 hours is what I would like to see as Maximum time behind the wheel. Much less, if possible. BTW, I am still tired, and got home Monday late afternoon-today is Wednesday. I am functioning, but not rip-roaring.
ol' bill

I guess I better let ya'll know that 65mph was the max with a 30 ft 2000 excella in tow.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:37 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Thanks to all of you for the great advice

Looking to see you on the road

John