Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2018, 06:55 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
st. Paul , mn
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjack View Post
You do not need to have the dog bone as there is a simple plug adaptor available generally at any RV store. It is a good idea to carry a dog bone which fits your trailer power socket and adapts to a common 2 prong plus ground connection since many state and national parks may have only the household type outlet. One never has too much water hose or extension cord.
JUST PLAIN DANGEROUS , do not do that !

The so called " common 2 prong plus ground " - is a 15 amp outlet , most of the trailers being talked about here have 30 amp plug on there trailer .
This may not damage your trailer , but will most likely blow there breaker - then you have no power , and multiple tries at this will burn out the outlet , making replacement necessary .
85 Excella , 31' , electric brakes , R. twin [ would like it to be a single ] , future upgrades , composting toilet [ replace black water tank with a 2nd fresh ] , solar power , instant hot water heater .
Tow 94 Dodge Ram , 4x4 , Cummins , AT .
JohnTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:12 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTF View Post
JUST PLAIN DANGEROUS , do not do that !

The so called " common 2 prong plus ground " - is a 15 amp outlet , most of the trailers being talked about here have 30 amp plug on there trailer .
This may not damage your trailer , but will most likely blow there breaker - then you have no power , and multiple tries at this will burn out the outlet , making replacement necessary .
My Safari is plugged in using this adapter right now and has been for most of the 8+ years that I have owned it. This is while stored at my house keeping the battery charged. For the last 4 years I leave it over the winter while I'm in FL for 6 months, it never tripped. There has been no damage to anything.
I also use this adapter while boondocking, plugged into the duplex outlet on my Honda 2000. No problems there, even when using 120v appliances (microwave, coffee pot, hair drier- one at a time)
Specifically what is dangerous?

ps: this is on is a 15 amp duplex outlet on a 20 amp 120vac circuit.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:36 AM   #43
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
st. Paul , mn
This reply is not for the people that thinking doing things wrong .
It's for those that do not want to have any issues .
The way to use the ratings of components , when using adapters , is to go from larger ratings to smaller - from supply to load .
Just some simple critical thinking can answer many questions , do not use an adapter that allows you to draw more amps through a smaller rated - source 30 to 50 amps , or source 15 to 30 .
Just because someone suggested , and or got away with doing something wrong is to speak plainly just be stupid , not every attempt at doing something wrong is always going to create issues each & every time , other wise we would see many more fires / failures .
There can be exceptions - you know what your doing , keeping a battery charged , not pulling more current from a circuit - by knowing what your turning on and its rating .
One of the issue's is , some one that does not know may turn on a higher rated device on the lower rated circuit - the outlet is the last option to limit how much current is pulled from a circuit - check out a chart on outlets & there rating , the size & orientation of the contacts limit what you can plug in .
Its a crazy world when what is happening here , people that suggest you do things in a unsafe manner - established by engineers creating standards .
" I got away with it and it still works " , these people get bent out of shape when corrected , now will probably just break
85 Excella , 31' , electric brakes , R. twin [ would like it to be a single ] , future upgrades , composting toilet [ replace black water tank with a 2nd fresh ] , solar power , instant hot water heater .
Tow 94 Dodge Ram , 4x4 , Cummins , AT .
JohnTF is offline   Reply With Quote