Old 09-18-2007, 06:20 PM   #1
Hawkeyes & Harleys
2006 16' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Thumbs up 5 Weeks, 8k miles in a 16' Quick Silver

We just returned from a trip from New Mexico thru TX, OK, MO, IL, IN, MI, OH, PA, NY, VT, NH, ME, MA, CN, MD, VA, WV, NC, SC, GA, AL, TN, MS, AR, TX, OK and home. Main goal was to see the The Falls in NY and the NE coast and a check up on my hip replacement in Atlanta. In addition to the 8k miles on the trailer we put another 1k on the TV. Trip consisted of a one night travel stay and 2 or 3 day stay at a destination. Two of us plus our 2 Yorkies. Stayed mostly at KOA or Good Sam parks. Found both to be above those not affiliated. Prices ranged from $19 to $47 (Outer Banks and Myrtle Beach). Averaged mid $30s for the rest. Recommend; Niagara Falls & Lake Placid, NY; Johnsbury, VT, Maple Grove Farms factory, Bar Harbor, "Ba Ha Ba", ME (We would move tomorrow if there were no winters); Mistic, CN (Julia was NOT at the Pizza cafe); Plymouth, MA (Cape Cod was a dissapointment); the Outer Banks, NC (especially Kitty Hawk and Roanoke Is.). On the down side we had one tire go flat in RV park, with steel belt seperation, and later on a blow out on the interstate. No problem getting trailer stopped from 65mph, but truck traffic was terrible. We made it to the off ramp and called Good Sam. The tire shreds caused minor under belly damage and destroyed the T-handle on the Gray/Black water tank. We left our mark on the interstate (blue stripe of you know what). We had the T-handle replaced along with a new tire in Hagerstown, MA. I'm heading to Jackson Ctr. this next month to have upgraded 4,300lb axles and 15" wheels as replacement for the current 3,500lb axles and 14" wheels. Finally we had a great time and my "better half" lived up to that logo as she didn't kill me (I gave her more than one opportunity).

HOG-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Holy Schmoly! Now thats a road trip.

I bet you said. "OH S*#T!" when that tire blew and then your trailer did. Sorry I could not help that.

I'd rather be boon docking in the desert.

AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:35 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
Hi Hog I,,,, yes,, long trips in a 16 footer can be done. Requirements of minamalistic living are learned quickly,, and it is fun!! went to the Salem International in mine, total trip time was 3 weeks,,, So glad you enjoyed your halfway cross country trip. when is the next one?? donna
dieterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Hey, Hog-1...quite a're an inspiration to us all! One of my big fears is a flat or blow out on the road, but I guess it can be dealt with if it've proven that...that is a heck of a lot of miles on one trip! Congrats! And you and the Better Half are still together, to boot! Another congrats!

Good for you!
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
We just got back from a month on the road. NM> CO> SD> WY> MT> ID> UT> AZ> and back to beautiful downtown Estancia NM. I made a point of using plastic to pay for gas (the most expensive was in NM) and I'm ascared to look at the credit card statement. Both of my wing windows blew out and I fried my digital camera when I pulled my grandson out of the Flathead River (camera in my pocket when I jumped in) But we had a great time.
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 05:21 PM   #6
Hawkeyes & Harleys
Las Cruces , New Mexico
I for got to mention that we counted 21 Airstream trailers on this trip, either on the road or in RV parks. There were another 6 plus sitting in yards looking like it had been some time without use. For "Goin Camping" not only Oh S**t but a few I made up on the spot.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:53 PM   #7

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Now that's a marathon (adventure, not tire style). I though we did the road warrior with 7 days, 7 states and 2000 miles.
Post a post-mortum travel log! With all those groovy states I'm sure you have some photos, routes and tales to tell
Hi Ho Silver RV! Vernon, Sarah, Mac the Border Collie -
A honkin' long 34' named AlumaTherapy
and a 26' '63 Overlander, Dolly
HiHoAgRV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:37 PM   #8
Hawkeyes & Harleys
Las Cruces , New Mexico
For "dieterdog", we plan a extensive trip next spring or fall to the NW thru South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, and the Red Woods in CA plus OR and WA. My better half is a contributing member to the Crazy Horse Memorial in SD and we have been to the top. Plan to visit for the fourth or fifth time.