Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2015, 04:26 PM   #1
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Thumbs up 5 Reasons Why You Need A Dash Cam

We where discussing this in another thread. The reasons though, are plain and simple. Other people cannot be trusted.

1. Driving Accidents
Getting into a car accident is one of the worst experiences imaginable. If no one is seriously injured, then the blame game starts. "You cut me off!" "You shouldn't have braked so hard!" "I'm calling my lawyer!"

We want to avoid all of this nonsense. Installing a dashcam can prevent many post-accident legal headaches by recording the facts.

2. Parking Accidents

3. Insurance Fraud
Believe it or not, there are people out there who actively try to get hit by oncoming traffic—they're happy to accept a broken arm in exchange for a fat insurance settlement.

4. Documenting Your Road Trip
Some of the best vacations I've taken have been road trips. What begins as a means to get from Point A to Point B often turns into an unforgettable journey. You always end up finding something weird, exciting, or both on the way—something that you never planned for.

5. Capturing the Unexpected
Who hasn't seen those crazy Russian videos. If you own a dashcam, it's probably wise to use pretty much 24/7. While the prime motivator is your own safety and legal protection, you can also capture some pretty unbelievable footage just by keeping these cameras powered on.

You've probably heard about the Chelyabinsk meteor that flew over Russia this past February. There are plenty of videos of this spectacular event, primarily because so many drivers in Russia use dashcams.

And lastly, here is a video of just driving around and all the clowns you are likely to encounter.

I installed the A118 Dash Cam in our 2010 Ram 1500, and I am already glad we did. The cost, ease of use and features are great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-02-08 10.43.10.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	244.9 KB
ID:	234149   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-02-08 10.42.48.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	422.6 KB
ID:	234150  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-02-08 10.43.26.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	234151  
Old 03-13-2015, 04:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Your cam records hours of driving? Do you just delete the footage each day if nothing is worth saving?

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 04:53 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
That's interesting. Tell us more about using and storing the information.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 05:06 PM   #4
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
The dash cam I have runs on 12V, it starts recording when the ignition turns on, and it holds a 32gb SD micro card and records in 3 or 5 minute clips that it saves to the card. Once the card fills up, it just starts writing over the oldest files and does this continuously.

There is a button that you press and you can lock the previous 3 or 5 minute clip, depending on which setting you have chosen. I went with 3 min interval clips. Locked files won't be over-written.

It also features a G sensor that detects impact and automatically locks the past 6 or 10 minutes.

The angle is extremely wide, has built in battery so it records for a few moments when you turn off your vehicle. Also features a motion detector and can come on and record for 60 seconds or until motion stops. I don't use this feature personally.

Also it has the option to write GPS coordinates to each video file including speed with a sold separately GPS antenna.

Retrieving video is one of two ways, remove the card and put it in your computer if you have an SD reader or USB to the Camera.

All in all I paid under $80 on Amazon for mine.

I figure since we are full-timing I will take the piece of mind of having it on at all times.

I know some folks freak out about being recorded, but the truth is, your expectation of privacy exists only inside your vehicle, not outside on the public road ways. Tint your windows if you want privacy. This is also the same justification the police use to ride around recording and scanning everyones licenses plates.

And one word of advice. While this is a tool, do not jump out of your car if you are involved in an accident screaming, I HAVE YOU ON TAPE. Not until you've had your lawyer or a professional review it. No one wants to give away or admit they have incriminating evidence against themselves. Just saying.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:10 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
After several recent incidents, I am considering a dash cam for each of our vehicles. Can you give us a link to the one you have, and we can maybe search and compare features?
Old 03-13-2015, 05:14 PM   #6
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
This is the one I purchased, I've been pretty happy with it for a sub $100 dash cam, feature wise: http://www.amazon.com/AUTO-VOX-A118-...&keywords=A118

Also, really great video review:

Either way, whatever you get, I highly recommend it in this day and age. Worth the time to research, consider and find one that works for you.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:26 PM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
With the 32GB card, how long a period does that record before over-writing the oldest data?

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 05:59 PM   #8
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
1080p video uses about 100 MB per minute of video, so a 32 GB card gives you between 4 and 5 hours of recording time before it starts overwriting the oldest files

This is the same Camera sold by someone else, for a few more, but with more reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Spy-Tec-A118-D...&keywords=A118
Old 03-13-2015, 06:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I have one facing forward, but expect that another is needed in there rear window (with no AS attached) to record being rear ended. Where does it end? One on each side too?
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:01 PM   #10
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
I've seen more expensive setups, with front, rear and side mirror cameras. Know a guy with a very heavily modified C6 who did so after having a hit and run driver clip him in his previous vehicle.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:11 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I've had an HD version in the Sprinter's windshield for 2 years. Never need it, but I get all warm and fuzzy just thinking about it being there.....just in case!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 06:28 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I have been wanting to get one. We see some pretty amazing aggressive driving on a daily basis, sometimes from people who should know better like school busses. I'd love to have video of those incidents, and like you said, protect myself in an accident.

I do disagree with one thing though: if I made a mistake I'm willing to admit it, so having video evidence of my own mistake doesn't worry me. It would also encourage me to drive more carefully knowing that my actions would be scrutinized.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:06 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I ordered one of the A118 cams, based on Bold's and other reviewers findings. They appear to shipping very slowly. Some merchants show "backorder". It may have to do with a switch over to the A118C model and the elimination of the A118??????

The GPS module shipped and came in a few days, and Amazon still hasn't shipped the camera.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:08 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Aston , Pennsylvania
where did you route your 12V power from? I have a dodge as well and was hoping to pull it from the rearview mirror / overhead console.
BASE729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:37 AM   #15
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I ordered one of the A118 cams, based on Bold's and other reviewers findings. They appear to shipping very slowly. Some merchants show "backorder". It may have to do with a switch over to the A118C model and the elimination of the A118??????

The GPS module shipped and came in a few days, and Amazon still hasn't shipped the camera.
Well that's a bummer, mine came pretty quick, but I did notice more than one merchant selling. I try to usually aim for Amazon prime shipping. Hopefully you get yours without any hiccups.

I recently got pretty mad at camping world when I ordered something and was notified 3 days later it was backordered for a month! I'd be on the road by then guys, come on. Why'd you take my money! But that's a subject for another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASE729 View Post
where did you route your 12V power from? I have a dodge as well and was hoping to pull it from the rearview mirror / overhead console.
Sending you a PM, but yes there is a 12v source in the mirror. I was running a long cable for a few weeks till I decided final placement.

Fulree 12V to 5V mini usb converter: $4 on eBay

Old 03-14-2015, 12:55 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Berrien Springs , Michigan
That made my day. What an incredible video. One man recorded all these?!
He had amazing restraint and patience. I guess if you know you are on camera then you really shouldn't loose it!

I've spent my life in boats, planes and vehicles and just wish I'd been able to record some amazing 'whoopsies' I've experienced...
Near SFO airport - 90mph on-ramp then smash into the lefthand concrete wall.
An Italian boat total itself on a 20ft high concrete 'buoy' in the middle of a channel in Korcula, Croatia.
Countless sailboat collisions.
Motorboat turn into the path of a high speed ferry - inches to spare.
Truck clip the front of a very nice Merc who accelerated into the path of the truck who was just trying to pull in.
Chicago taxi t-boning another taxi - both too impatient.
Etc, etc.

I'm vowing to fit a dash-cam now, and record the 'speedway' through Chicago and my weekly trips through Michigan.

I'm wondering whether there is any way to interface with Ford's cam system and record that too.

I'm also wondering whether an over-the-shoulder view which takes in the left-hand mirror view would be a good viewpoint?
DuncanK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 02:22 PM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanK1 View Post
That made my day. What an incredible video. One man recorded all these?!
He had amazing restraint and patience. I guess if you know you are on camera then you really shouldn't loose it!
Please allow me to submit an alternate interpretation, to wit… The man who made that video needs a defensive driving course. No one can have that many near misses and still be entirely blameless in all of them. As the saying goes, "The one common denominator in all of these incidents is… him."

Granted, a lot of the idiots he filmed were off in the distance ahead of him or to the side and he had nothing to do with those. But those right in front of him didn't all need to be so close in front of him, if he had been paying more attention to his driving than to his dash-cam.

I especially noticed all the times he made a right turn, and someone cut him off on the right. That sort of thing doesn't just happen so often to the same guy; he must have done something to make it happen, even if he didn't realize it.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:17 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Between Here and There and Nowhere , what have you got?
I have to agree. The video maker is half responsible for the driving mistakes. His cursing and complaining to other drivers seems to result in the curses sent his way. He needs to mature a bit.
openroad118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 03:30 PM   #19
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
It is a video compiled over 3 yrs, how many times have you been cut of in the past year?
Old 03-14-2015, 03:43 PM   #20
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
It is a video compiled over 3 yrs, how many times have you been cut of in the past year?
By someone who passed me on the right, immediately after I made a right turn? Never in forty years, let alone three years. I've seen it happen once or twice, but that was only when a guy making a right turn cut off faster-moving cross traffic and the cross-traffic had to swerve right to avoid rear-ending him because there was no room to swerve left and not enough room to stop either. Since we never see a rear-cam view of those incidents, we'll never know if that's how it happened, but it's a reasonable guess…

Unless that was you who made the video? But I've assumed all along that you found the video online, not that you made the video. If you did make it, then I will not change my opinion, but I will apologize if expressing my opinion offended you.

Besides, I said he needed a defensive driving course, not a driving course. Defensive driving is all about learning to spot and avoid idiots on the road before they endanger you and yours. And this guy needs that, in spades.