Old 10-18-2011, 01:59 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
1975 Argosy 30
Santa Barbara , California
5-day so-cal get-away

Soon heading out for a little 5-day get-away in southern california. 2 nights in South Carlsbad State Beach (near San Diego) and 2 nights in Doheny State Beach. Not sure how I managed to snag the latter given that that's fri/sat which is fully booked. I can't wait to take off and hope we won't feel like sardines between two neighbors, the I-5 and the train! Ok, gotta stop that, we'll have to focus real hard on the beach! (We're used to boondocking in the wildernesss with no civilization in sight.) I hope to have some photos to report on what we find...

Old 10-18-2011, 06:35 AM   #2
Shiny Drag-on

Currently Looking...
Drag-on , California
Try Silver Strand State Beach

You should look into Silver Strand State Beach, on State of California Gov web site. It is on the Coronado Island and very quite. You will be close to other campers, but right on the water, no train or freeway in site. I always see Airstreams camping there. I stayed across the street for a wedding two months ago so I know it is still open. At that time several Airstreams in the park. You take a bridge from San Diego over the Coronado Bridge, it is a two lanes in each direction. If you don't like heights the bridge could be a challenge for you. Just stay on the inside lane. You are safe even though you are close to the boarder, you share the island with a military base.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:28 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Anaheim , California
Two campgrounds in Southern California where you don't have to worry about the train are the newly opened Crystal Cove Moro Campground (it has vistas similar to Ocean Mesa at El Cap Canyon) and San Clemente State Beach. Check them out!
Old 10-18-2011, 08:44 PM   #4
Shiny Drag-on

Currently Looking...
Drag-on , California
Unhappy Plug your ears on 10-19

News tonight warns San Onofre test...Hope this will not impact you.

"CAMP PENDLETON - The siren system that would alert Camp Pendleton and neighboring communities in the event of an emergency at the San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station will undergo annual testing next week, Southern California Edison announced today.
On Oct. 19 between 10 a.m. and noon, 50 sirens located in the communities around the San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station -- including Dana Point, San Clemente, San Juan Capistrano -- will be activated several times for about three minutes each time.
The sirens sound a continuous steady tone distinguishing them from those used by fire and police departments, according to SCE."
Old 10-19-2011, 02:32 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 30
Thanks for the siren warning, we're going to miss that, not leaving that early, sigh.

Silver Strand sounded pretty cool from the reviews, I just didn't want to go quite that far. Carlsbad is already a stretch. But good to know for the future! Ha, can't wait to hit the road!

Thanks for pointing out Crystal Cove Moro, the reason we ended up in Doheny is that it had one spot available fri/sat while every other place was full. Must have been a cancellation. We'll check CCM out however.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:46 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 30
Unfortunately we had to abort our trip due to a family emergency. We did spend one night at South Carlsbad State Beach and I don't think we'll be back. The campground is quite nice in that the sites have nice views and most have a decent privacy barrier to the neighboring sites.
We were in the southern loop, where the sites are narrower and deeper, which is great for, say, a 25FB with the lounge in the rear. We would have been better off in the northern loop where the sites are shallower but wider, which is better for a side-dinette.
Reviews stated that the main "sound stage", so to speak, are the ocean wave sounds. Well, we did find the road pretty noisy and, adding the helicopters that constantly zoom up&down the coastline, we found ourselves frequently wondering "what the hell is *that* noise from?". We suspect the whole San Diego coastline is ruined for us from a camping perspective...