Old 07-18-2006, 01:28 PM   #29
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
It's near Bath, right on the ocean. I'll PM you the directions. It's a bit of a haul from Waterford, I'd guess about a 1 1/2 to 2 hours ride. But we'd love to meet you folks so feel free to come on down. If not this one how about the September "forums" event Titu & Gail are holding? It's even in your state.
We will be staying at Danforth Bay in August and are planning on stopping by your Rally on 8/19 (I sent you an email?)
Good chance we will be at the September rally also, although we usually have a family camping trip about that time...we'll see what happens.

But definitley at Rochester-we already have reservations at D-Bay!

Bill

Old 07-18-2006, 01:31 PM   #30
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
Thanks Guys, I will try it this week.

Do you think, overall, that will be a good route up to Waterford ME? (495-125-16-302) or just stick with 95?

Bill
I know you guys are more intimate with this area-so just to double check; I expect heavy traffic Fri afternoon around the Maine/NH border so I should head to 125-16-302 and NOT take 95 N?

Old 07-18-2006, 01:34 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
Quote:
We will be staying at Danforth Bay in August and are planning on stopping by your Rally on 8/19 (I sent you an email?)
Good chance we will be at the September rally also, although we usually have a family camping trip about that time...we'll see what happens.

But definitley at Rochester-we already have reservations at D-Bay!

Bill
That's right! I remember now (middle aged mind doesn't work like it use to) - you'll also meet some post R1R folks relaxing at Danforth Bay. I'm not sure I'll be there, just don't have that many vacation days.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 02:01 PM   #32
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
I know you guys are more intimate with this area-so just to double check; I expect heavy traffic Fri afternoon around the Maine/NH border so I should head to 125-16-302 and NOT take 95 N?
I have never run into a big problem on *95* going N on friday...but I haven't done it in a while. the problem is on 16.

if you want to avoid traffic, I wouldn't take 16 from 95 at that hour. I'd take 125 through Haverhill, which joins 16 at a point that is typically beyond the traffic, and the tolls.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 06:53 AM   #33
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
I have never run into a big problem on *95* going N on friday...but I haven't done it in a while. the problem is on 16.

if you want to avoid traffic, I wouldn't take 16 from 95 at that hour. I'd take 125 through Haverhill, which joins 16 at a point that is typically beyond the traffic, and the tolls.
Thank you, I think I will do 495-95 this week as we are heading further up into Maine.
Next trip-up to Ossippee area, I will do the 495-125-16 route for sure.

Thanx, again
Old 07-19-2006, 11:02 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
We went up to Maine on Saturday and came back Sunday this past weekend. There was a huge back log on 95 at the toll station. I would say we crawled in traffic for a good 30 minutes. Mostly because the signs for which lane you need to be in to pay cash, EZpay etc were completely misleading. Cars/trucks/trailers switching lanes all over the place. I don't recall it being that crazy last summer. Anyway.... the only back up we had coming home was due to a stalled bus in the middle lane of the freeway in NH and then a huge back up on 495 around the Tweeter Center. Those teenage girls sure love their Kelly Clarkston.

Have fun camping this weekend...we will be camping in Vermont at the BMW Motorcycle Rally.

Kathleen
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:34 AM   #35
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberlanders
We went up to Maine on Saturday and came back Sunday this past weekend. There was a huge back log on 95 at the toll station. I would say we crawled in traffic for a good 30 minutes. Mostly because the signs for which lane you need to be in to pay cash, EZpay etc were completely misleading. Cars/trucks/trailers switching lanes all over the place.
Just an observation from a veteran NH highway traveler...we go thru that toll booth at least three times a month and have found that the signs aren't confusing...the people are confused (mostly because they don't read the signs) and they drive too fast in the toll booth area. I don't see how a sign that says "EZ PASS LANE ONLY" is confusing or "CASH ONLY", etc. Additionally, NH has done a great job of pre-warning people with signs of which lane is which long before they get to the toll booth. The problem is people don't read the signs (i.e. distracted or driving too fast) until after they have committed themselves to a lane and then they are stuck with having to make dangerous last minute lane changes once they realize their mistake. This situation is then compounded by the fact that alot of the traffic in the summer is tourists who aren't familiar with the toll set-up.

My advice?
1) Drive slow (<35 mph)
2) Read signs a mile out
3) Pull your money out a mile out
4) Start to manuever to a lane well in advance of the end of the lane line
5) Don't switch lanes if another lane seems to be moving faster
6) #1 advice -- buy an EZ Pass, as it works in any lane -- then you can drive at 60 mph while aiming for the shortest line!!!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 07:30 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
I know we need an EZpass. I'm not sure why we keep putting it off. It would help with drives across country as well as around here.

We did try to stay in the same lane when we crossed. However its hard to stay in the same lane when no one is in a lane. Normally we stick close to home on the weekends (Cape Cod rotaries are a bear) and do our travels during the week. Saturday probably isn't a good day to drive through that toll booth.
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 09:33 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberlanders
I know we need an EZpass. I'm not sure why we keep putting it off. It would help with drives across country as well as around here.

We did try to stay in the same lane when we crossed. However its hard to stay in the same lane when no one is in a lane. Normally we stick close to home on the weekends (Cape Cod rotaries are a bear) and do our travels during the week. Saturday probably isn't a good day to drive through that toll booth.
This past weekend, we ended up heading through the Hampton toll booth just after 1 PM. What a mistake that was! We didn't think traffic would be THAT bad on a rainy Saturday afternoon but it was. Yikes! We discovered the same thing you encountered -- last minute lane changes (mostly people w/o an EZpass stuck in EZpass lane and trying to get out at the last minute).

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 05:18 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
EZ Pass isn't always so easy. Some states, EZ Pass is accepted in all lanes, but even within the same state, it may only be accepted in specific lanes. Other states, EZ Pass lanes are to the left or right, or in the center and some just random. Why can't states that use the system come together and adopt a universal uniform process for lanes and handling multi axel vehicles
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:40 AM   #39
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Follow up report

We tried 128 last week going up to Maine (instead of our usual 495). While the ride was ok, the traffic at the North end of 495 was terrible (lost a good 45 min, around 3:00 pm) and another 30 min at Portland. Oh well. We came home around 11:00 p.m.and took 128 again.No problems this time of night...
In summary, I don't believe there is any time to be gained by taking 128 durring daytime hours, you may save a few miles, but I hate just sitting in traffic. I will probably stick with the 495 thing in the future.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:15 AM   #40
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
We tried 128 last week going up to Maine (instead of our usual 495). While the ride was ok, the traffic at the North end of 495 was terrible ...
I assume you mean that the traffic on the northern end of 128 was terrible...

well, yeah, at that hour on a friday afternoon...of course. But I've seen it just as bad on 495 at that hour on many occasions. Northbound on Friday afternoon...all bets are off!

Quite a few times, I've gone off to camping weekends around that time, heading west or northwest toward VT, western MA or CT, which takes me on 495S for some distance, and I've often seen northbound traffic at a standstill for 10 miles or more. I think the only thing you can do is to check the traffic reports often, and go from there.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:15 PM   #41
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
I assume you mean that the traffic on the northern end of 128 was terrible...

well, yeah, at that hour on a friday afternoon...of course. But I've seen it just as bad on 495 at that hour on many occasions. Northbound on Friday afternoon...all bets are off!

Quite a few times, I've gone off to camping weekends around that time, heading west or northwest toward VT, western MA or CT, which takes me on 495S for some distance, and I've often seen northbound traffic at a standstill for 10 miles or more. I think the only thing you can do is to check the traffic reports often, and go from there.
Yes-northern end of 495S. I didn't expect that much traffic between 2:00-3:00 in the afternoon, figured I had it beat that early.
In the future I will stick to 495 durring daytime. 128 was fine late at night...
Bill
Old 09-18-2007, 08:26 AM   #42
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
I thought I would revisit this thread after another season towing around Boston. I would now tend to agree more with Chuck. The last couple of times we went 495, the road condition on the over passes was horrible, and there was no shortage of traffic/backups. For what ever reason, I decided to try 128 again, everything went very well. In fact I used 128 for the rest of the summer and intend to again this weekend. Traffic in and around Boston, whether 495 or 128 is heavy no matter what. I have just resigned myself to spending some time sitting in traffic (unless very early or very late). I still think 495 provides a better shoulder, but overall, the road surface is much better on 128.
Oh yeah, we got EZ pass for the truck, good deal, very convenient. Used it all the way to Niagara this summer…

Bill