Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2009, 09:28 PM   #1
1996 34' Classic

1996 34' Excella
Culpeper , Virginia
3955 miles

We got back this evening from 18 days on the road. This was a real test for us, the AS and TV.

The route took us from here in Lynchburg VA to Thornburg VA to pick up the AS at the dealer (was there for 3 weeks for warranty repairs which weren't finished but we were leaving and it had to go with us). Then on to Intercourse PA, then on to Williamstown WV for a tour of the Fenton Art Glass factory and Milton WV for a tour of the Blenko Glass Factory. From there, it was on to the Shaker Village at Mt. Pleasant KY for a couple of days. Finally, on to Okoboji IA for the final week.
The AS did ok. 2 serious problems developed forcing us to visit the AS dealer in Davenport IA to at least make the trailer safe enough for us to continue. (We're going to schedule a trip to JC to get permanent repairs done). All in all, it was a great trip.

I have spoken on this forum about the F-150 with the new style 5.4L motor being strong enough to tow a TT as large as ours. I'm now reconsidering my endorsement if you're going to do alot of travelling. While it took alot of torture without a hiccup (13 hours yesterday and about 10 hours today), having to lock out OD, travel with 40mph head winds on our westward legs, long up and down grades over the appalachians and blue ridge mountains, it would have definately been better with a larger truck (F-250 with PowerStroke).

With the ever increasing problems with our 2008 AS with less than 35 camping nights in 18 months, we're considering moving to SOB. Our first AS was flawless and the disappointment with the current one has us really ticked off. (thanks for listening to me vent).
Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:24 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I was glad to hear that your trip went safely, But sorry to hear of your problems with the Aistream and your TT.

I would give JC a shot at getting it right before giving up on the AS. We had some early problems with Lucy that were finally straightened out when we got her to the factory. We're now approaching 450 nights (and 50,000 miles) in Lucy and everything is holding up as well as or better than expected.

We also tried pulling Lucy with a 1/2 ton. To put it bluntly, it did not inspire confidence. It was barely up to the job. After significant towing experience in all terrains, we decided that half tons are not well suited for pulling 7500#. They will pull the trailer, but not up to our standards for real Airtream traveling. We did not go to diesel, but to 3/4 ton gas.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I just got back from a 4300 mile trip from Colorado to Washington, down to LA, then vegas and then back home. My Sequoia pulled no problem. 65-70 mph up any hill, or mountain, stable, Great being able to downshift on the downhills so I don't have to ride the brakes, No problem with the head winds and about 11 mpg, Even in the heat of Ca and NV, 100+ the engine temp and transmission temp didn't move going up long hills.
I haven't weighed it loaded but I'm guessing around 6000 - 6500 loaded.

Sorry to hear you are having problems. That why I bought and older one are restored it.

We looked at the newer ones I didn't see any difference on the inside between the AS and SOB. I can't figure out why the cost $20,000 The insides are cheap and the frame is weaker. So $20,000 gets you the name and an aluminum shell. My 41 year old trailer was built better than the newer ones are. It's really to bad. It wouldn't cost that much more to up grade the inside quality.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote