Old 07-17-2017, 07:20 PM   #1

Canton , GA
Smile 31' or 34' for a Family of 6??

Hi! My husband and I are new to the Airstream world. We have 4 daughters, ages 9, 8, 3, and 2. We are selling our home, buying an airstream, renovating it, and planning to live in it full-time for at least one year so that we can travel the US and parts of Canada.

We're struggling to decide between a 31' and a 34'. I'll share a few of our random thoughts, and then PLEASE share all of the advice you can! We want to hear all of your recommendations!

With 4 kids, we could definitely use the space in a 34'.

We are set on towing with an SUV, not a truck. Will we have trouble finding an SUV strong enough to tow a 34'?

Will the length of an SUV + 34' be too long for some camp grounds, especially at national parks? Will it limit where we can go?

I've heard that because of the triple axle, the 34' is actually easier to tow.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

AOBO6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:35 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
2017 23' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
New York , New York
You should check out the 30FC Bunk. I think any of the other options are going to require WAY too much setup and tear down every day. The downside is that bunks are hard to find unless new.

Spots to accommodate 30+ footers are usually available, they are just harder to come by and often the best situated sites in that size class are in short supply.

mattskav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:38 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Pennsylvania
I think you might be better off with 2 25' trailers.

Bruce
PD9160 converter, Prosine 1800 inverter
2x eu2000i Propane
AstroBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:07 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Southwest VA , Virginia
hmm...if you go with the 34', then you will just need to plan further ahead and be prepared to spend money on private parks, although may state and national parks in the east will be able to handle that trailer. I have read many, many times over 30' out west in state and national parks will leave you no options.

If being whimsical with where you stay is your thin, then go with the smaller trailer. If you want as much space as possible, go with the larger.

In either case, with four young kiddos, I'd look at getting a cargo or passenger van that can seat all six of you comfortably and has a very high tow rating. Be careful if you look into conversion vans...they're super nice, but with more luxuries come more weight and less towing capability.
Hopeful1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
I would love to be able to get away for a year with my family. Glad you're pulling the trigger.

I'm all for airstreams. Though full timing with a family of 6 is somewhat of a different proposition. I think you might be better served by a 5ver for the storage, space, potential onboard generator, and such. If you must do AS, I think a 31' will get small in a hurry, and you really would want a 34'.

There aren't really any standout options in an SUV that has the capacity stock for a 34'.
That said, I'd probably pick a Toyota Sequoia for the job with some key upgrades. It's definitely got enough power but it's about adding weight carrying capacity. Higher rate springs, load E tires possibly in a slightly smaller than stock size (go down one aspect ratio), and a good WD/sway hitch - perhaps and Equilizer or Propride/Hensley, would probably do the trick.

I like the commercial van idea too but that would take more work to make the interior suitable for a family of 6. And while they have the carrying capacity stock, they're not really rated for these kind of weights either as they lack in overall power and creature comforts IMO.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
We spent two months in our '64 Overlander (26') on a trip to Alaska when our four were between the ages of 7 and 12. It was tight, but doable for that amount of time. We have since purchased and renovated a '74 Sovereign (31'). With the Overlander two of us slept in the dinette area so we had to convert that bed each day. With the Sovereign we have a dinette that easily seats the six of us that can't be converted for sleeping. We initially had three sets of bunks, but now have two sets and a single bed as it's rare for all four kids to join us now that they're out of their teens. I suggest avoiding a situation where you are converting a dinette back and forth between eating and sleeping as that got old pretty quickly for us.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
Sounds like a great plan. Stating the obvious, Bigger is better. We did not and do not full time but we did regularly travel for 4-5 weeks at a time with a family of 6 in our 1969 23' Safari (same trailer as in my profile picture - 4 boys, my poor Mom). It was not ideal but it worked and other than the occasional rainy day we spent 98% of our time outdoors - at the pool, going on tours, at the game room etc.. But that was in the 1970's and things have changed. Camp grounds are pretty much set up for RV's the size of Prevost's and huge 5th wheel rigs and I would not consider parking to be more than an occasional issue. SUV's - again bigger is better and I think you are looking at a big Ford or a Chevy Suburban but others may have other opinions.
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 02:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
:Actually, Airstream doesn't make a trailer large enough for 6 people. Right now, 33' id's the longest.
It would take at least double that length for 6 people to be comfortable and retain a little bit of their sanity.

Words of wisdom

Larry.
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 02:16 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroBruce View Post
I think you might be better off with 2 25' trailers.

Bruce
That sir, is a very true statement!
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 02:28 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
You mentioned renovate. Check out these links for a family that rehabbed an older twin axle Airstream for a family of 9.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f160...ms-131529.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f179...ms-114620.html

Another person who you may be able to get some ideas from:
http://www.silversojourner.com/airst...ith-bunk-beds/

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 02:44 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Christine , North Dakota
I just got back from travelling 4400 miles in 15 days between Fargo ND and Newport Oregon and back, with minimal planning. This Airstream is the first camping trailer that either my wife or I have ever had.

Family of 4 plus 1 small dog, kids ages 7 and 8, parents ... old enough to know better.

TV
2005 F250 Crew Cab/Short Bed diesel
FWIW, we averaged 11.4MPG at a travelling speed 65-70mph.

Some of those mountain passes are long and grueling, we took quite a few main roads that were very twisty with a lot of elevation changes.

We considered taking our 2012 Tahoe LS (3 row seating) but in the end, took the truck because it was slightly better suited to towing in regards to length, TQ, and suspension. I am sure the Tahoe would have done OK as well, but I believe the MPG would have suffered. It may have been a wash with fuel costs, and even more of a wash if we had stuck to interstate roads instead of state highways. But we were travelling to see stuff, not just the white lines.

AS
1971 Airstream 31ft
It is gutted, only a full size bed for parents, and cots for kids, its a work in progress. No plumbing.

Our total TV + AS weight was about 13,000lbs.

When we made plans.. we made them for campgrounds that had facilities, running toilets, showers, electricity. 3 of our nights did not have showers.

We left June 24
We visited

Medora
We stayed Red Tail Campground, which is in town, reservations were made a month in advance, this was the most congested/busiest campground we stayed in the whole trip.

Bozeman MT.
Bozeman Hot Springs Campground
We made plans 1.5hrs outside of town due to mechanical issues with TV

Yellowstone
We stayed in Red Cliff Campground 44 miles outside Yellowstone, and drove into the park without the AS. The reservations had been 2 weeks in advance, but didn't like our spot, they had one closer to the river that was open, so we cancelled and made new reservations for the same campground while on site.

Glacier National Park
Whitefish MT KOA, kids loved it, reservations 2 weeks in advance

Then around Flathead Lake and over to

Mt Hood Oregon via Lolo Pass
Family reunion, and we parked in a relatives yard.

Drove down part of the Oregon Gorge Scenic Highway to see Multnomah Falls; this was a mistake to attempt on July 3rd, it was overwhelmed with people and the road is very narrow, we barely missed scraping the side when we met a full sized motorhome going the opposite direction.

Newport Oregon
South Beach Campground, reservations 3 days in advance, over the 4th of July no less. Most Oregon beach campgrounds are booked 9months-1yr in advance.

This ended the slow relaxing portion of our trip, on July 5th we left the beach and headed back East.

Oregon Sand Dunes (National Recreation Area)
Just passing through, we rented a Side-by-Side for an hour in Florence OR, we didn't even unhook the AS.

Glide Oregon
Elk Haven Campground, as a place to sleep, made reservations 10 minutes before parking.

Crater Lake National Park
We parked the Trailer near Diamond Lake RV Campground while we drove up the mountain, the road was 1/3rd closed and NO vehicles over 30ft.

After we left Crater Lake we drove until I got tired, ended up staying at

Crystal Crane Hot Springs in Brothers OR
We made reservations about 1hr before stopping.

We took the route that led us to

Keeney OR, where we saw some of what is left of the Oregon Trail

Then up to

Craters of the Moon National Park, in Idaho.
And finally ending that day in Bozeman MT where we found that there was no room at any Inn or campground in town due to a softball tournament, 92 teams in town.

The last night of our trip, spent in a Wal-Mart parking lot.

Arriving home July 9th.

Lessons learned
Kids don't care where you park the AS.
Most National Parks are not suited for accepting large trailers.
We lied about the length of our trailer quite a few times because a lot of campgrounds have 30ft cut off lengths.
And regarding the last night..... Any port in a storm... figuratively speaking, the night was beautiful.

I had tight turning quarters in Medora, KOA -- Whitefish MT, and South Beach campgrounds, multi-point maneuvers and I had to ask for assistance from other campers, either as spotters or to move their vehicles so I could swing the truck around.

Granted our trip was only 2 weeks, and we drove around helter skelter a bit.
I thoroughly enjoyed it, I think 31ft should be a max for any long trip, otherwise you are going to lose some of the ability for spontaneity... I'm thinking about buying/building a trailer caddy for those tight parking spaces.

Next year we are already thinking about going to the South West corner of the US across the Black Hills, Rocky Mountain National Park in the Rockies, The Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Mesa Verde, California Red Woods, the Great Salt Lake, and probably some warmer CA beaches.

Next year I will have running water with water heater, and a stove/oven.

I hope my rambling has value in your decision.
-ron
phlegm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:13 PM   #12
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Good luck with this wonderful opportunity! Do you have eyes on a 34' yet?

On our 34, if i had to, i would install bunks at rear after removing stock queen/full bed. Next, install the bunks...be sure you install properly.. I would put 3 on each side. The advantage... Kids and their stuff stays aft. You can close off the hallway and they can have the shower and bedroom to themselves while cleaning up. There is a minimum rebuild necessary

Dad and Mom.. sleeper sofa in front. Dinette too small for adult, but would be good for children ... especially when one of them is ill. Get a nice sleeper sofa to replace the "gaucho" or whatever is in your AS... of course if you may find the Gaucho works great for you. Advantage: you can fold up either for more space but the sofa may be more comfy. Being in front, you are closer to the door and can sneak out for morning coffee, star gazing, etc.. without having to step on children in the Airstream (AS)

Be careful about weight and balance.. don't change it... make mods so that things remain stable.

More weight aft will make the AS frame flex up and down.. flex dependent upon load and road. I can see that in our 34 when loading just for my wife and I.. the frame flexes a bit. When we travelled with 3 granddaughters, we kept the major load over or just ahead of the axles... our gear was minimal compared to the 'pink and purple explosion' in the AS...

Storage boxes you can stack inside the TV..(Tow Vehicle).. define space each is allowed.

Storage tray under each bunk for foldable clothing (only need a couple changes.. will do lots of laundry anyway..).. this is where they also keep their SMALL personal items.. (Not 160,000 Lego's).. very back window is for EMERGENCY exit.

Set up outside kitchen... too much heat inside for cooking for lots of folks.. there are some nice ones.. you can store it in the front den of the AS when moving...

Lots more suggestions...

For the TV.... be safe.. get something that will tow 10k pounds easily...especially if doing any significant hills... and of course, proper restraints... and Lexan bulkhead between front and rear seating... cut slots out for cookies.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:57 PM   #13
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOBO6 View Post
Hi! My husband and I are new to the Airstream world. We have 4 daughters, ages 9, 8, 3, and 2. We are selling our home, buying an airstream, renovating it, and planning to live in it full-time for at least one year so that we can travel the US and parts of Canada.

We're struggling to decide between a 31' and a 34'. I'll share a few of our random thoughts, and then PLEASE share all of the advice you can! We want to hear all of your recommendations!
I have 3 kids and a 30'. It's a tight fit especially on rainy days. We never travel more than a week at a time.

The few larger families that travel full-time successfully usually have other space available in some form, be it a tent or access to nearby buildings or outdoor areas with reliably good weather. You also may be better off in another couple of years given the ages of the kids, unless you anticipate another arrival.

Quote:

With 4 kids, we could definitely use the space in a 34'.

We are set on towing with an SUV, not a truck. Will we have trouble finding an SUV strong enough to tow a 34'?
Yes. As far as I know, there are no current production SUVs that are suitable. The most recent SUV with truly adequate towing capacity for a 34 was the 2006 Suburban 2500. There are still some out there but at 11 years old they are going to require ongoing maintenance. I recently sold my 2004 'burb because the transfer case went out and I was looking at a $2000 repair.

A full size van may work for you but they have their own set of problems.

I think your best bet would be a pickup + a smaller car.

Quote:

Will the length of an SUV + 34' be too long for some camp grounds, especially at national parks? Will it limit where we can go?
There is no "magic" length that fits or doesn't fit but rather the longer your rig the fewer sites you'll fit. It is typically not a matter of fitting the campground but rather fitting the site. Some of the best sites are small. Most campgrounds will allow you to park the tow vehicle separately, a few do not. The rig as a whole will be around 60' if you do not unhitch which will only fit larger sites.

National parks typically do have smaller campsites but it's going to be unusual that the extra 4' is what will push you over the edge.

Quote:
I've heard that because of the triple axle, the 34' is actually easier to tow.
It's a mixed bag. The triple has its own problems. They're harder to park and have some unique problems with uneven ground. There are times I wish I had a 34', but not when driving
Old 07-18-2017, 05:46 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
Spruce Grove , Alberta
34 airstream

If it were me I'd stick with my 34 triple axle. It has plenty of room for six long people and more if the people are under 5 feet. Also I have an add a room for the awning. I tow her with my 2015 GMC, 1500 crew cab 6.6 box, max tow package, 6.2 litre engine with 8 speed trans. I cruise on the highway at any speed I want but stay under the tire manufacturers suggested speed. They know more about the limits of tires than we do. The cab is comfortable for 5 but that is not good for you. There are lots of 2500 suburbans around in good shape for around $2000 then invest another 5-10 and bring her back to top condition. 454 is plenty of power and plenty of seats. Anything can be solved with money but ingenuity can solve them as well
wvollans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:04 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
Currently Looking...
Conroe , Arkansas
Congratulations and welcome to the forum.
I'm in the middle of a 34' rebuild. Please keep us informed on what you decide. I can understand the SUV but have you considered the advantages of a 4 door 3/4 ton diesel? If you dry camp it opens more options for you and the family. The truck can haul / store equipment such as a generator, ice chest, bicycles etc. I keep my generator locked up in the back of the truck I just start it up and plug in the power cord Bingo instant hotel room. This simple addition really open the doors to a whole new world of options for camping locations. My generator paid for itself on our first trip with it, only half the nights spent in a RV park. Several parks out west have boondocking inside and outside the parks.
other option would be a suburban with the duramax diesel. I believe Ford has stopped building the excursion although it would be another option if it had the 6.7L power stroke.
Good luck
Thomas
Tbeck11931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:10 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Here's an article that might give you some ideas: The Full-Timing Family of Five. These folks started with an Airstream and truck camper but found the Airstream too big for some places they wanted to travel so now two a Casita.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:18 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbeck11931 View Post
Congratulations and welcome to the forum.
I'm in the middle of a 34' rebuild. Please keep us informed on what you decide. I can understand the SUV but have you considered the advantages of a 4 door 3/4 ton diesel? If you dry camp it opens more options for you and the family. The truck can haul / store equipment such as a generator, ice chest, bicycles etc. I keep my generator locked up in the back of the truck I just start it up and plug in the power cord Bingo instant hotel room. This simple addition really open the doors to a whole new world of options for camping locations. My generator paid for itself on our first trip with it, only half the nights spent in a RV park. Several parks out west have boondocking inside and outside the parks.
other option would be a suburban with the duramax diesel. I believe Ford has stopped building the excursion although it would be another option if it had the 6.7L power stroke.
Good luck
Thomas
There are a lot of advantages to a truck over an SUV in terms of storage space, but for a family of six that means three across in the front and back seats. Our two-month trip to Alaska was with a Suburban tow vehicle. We now have an F350 crew cab and can travel with all six of us (the kids are now adults), but it it's cramped, especially in the front seat. It also means finding a front bench seat model which are not as common.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:38 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I know the family of 9 that had a 32 and made it work well. They also had grandma with them. They remodeled the trailer with bunks in the back.Bed in the middle and a dining area that folded into a large bed up front. Check out SKATIERO's posts here.
Another family of 7 did a similar thing with their 31. It can be done. And you dont have to have that monster 34 behind you.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:11 AM   #19
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
For new tow vehicles, check out the Nissan NV 3500. That should have the payload and tow capacity you need. Otherwise, maybe a GM/GMC passenger van?

As for length, I'd take either. Focus on finding one in the condition you need it to be in. That's probably more important than 3' - even though 3' is a ton of room in a trailer.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:39 AM   #20

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Some random thoughts regarding the 34' and 30' models. First consider closet space. In the 30' line some units with the side bath have a double hanging closet. Some with the center bath have a single. With that many people you need the double. Consider the twin bed option because the bedroom has much better navigation space and will provide a dressing area between the twin beds. Note that the dinette will turn into a bed but it is limited in length. More suitable for your smallest children. Finally the sofa which clicks down into a bed has varied comfort. We have the ultra leather sofa that is tufted. It is not very comfortable due to the variations in the surface, and you need something placed on it to give you a more flat surface.

You might also consider a slide out unit if you can find one which provides a lot of nice space. The slide would either have a dinette in the sliding portion or a sofa, dependent upon model.

I second the motion for a van as a tow vehicle. The 3/4 ton GM van can be built with ample seating and provides a lot of covered storage space. I currently tow with a GMC 3/4 ton van that has a 9,900 lb towing capacity. Probably one of the most stable towing vehicles on the road. What's nice about GM is you can place an order and customize the passenger van for options and get it delivered within 2-3 weeks. I live in St. Louis where all the big GM van's are built for the US and got mine 14 days from my order date. I optioned the 6.0 liter V8 and 4.10 rear axle to get the towing capacity. I had doors put on both sides to allow access to the middle and rear seats. I also had dual air and heat added to enhance comfort and I ordered a drivers 6 way seat myself and for the front passenger. The 3/4 ton van comes standard with 2 front bucket and 3 bench seats. I did forgo the rear back bench which gave me lots of cargo space and a credit for the deletion. I did order the standard length van.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote