Old 12-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
30th Wedding Anniversary Trip Ideas Please!

Next June we will celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. We have talked about different trips, but we haven't settled on anything definite. It occurred to me this evening that I'd like to hear what our Forums members thought would make for a great 30th wedding anniversary trip -- we have up to two weeks, and we will be starting in Ohio. Also, we don't do hiking in where we have to contend with bear/mountain lions, etc. -- we'd probably have a heart attack if we ran into anything close to that. We do ride bikes (pedal type) in safe areas.

For an example of something we've done for a previous anniversary, for our 25th, we went out West to Pueblo, CO to attend a NSRA car show; stopped in Santa Fe, NM on the way and loved the trip and everything we saw!

Also, a place we've been, loved, loved, loved and is something we talked about redoing is Top Sail State Park, FL.

So, come on and get those creative juices flowing and sharing your ideas! Thanks in advance.

Deb

Old 12-29-2012, 11:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Since Top Sail State Park is so endearing, I would return. It also fits with the 30th wedding anniversary symbol - pearls!

There are some Florida "pearl" restaurants. I don't know if they are viable distance wise - but they look fabulous.....
http://gotothepearl.com/
http://www.opentable.com/pearl-in-the-grove

Or you could celebrate a romantic evening in the Airstream. Fill a glass vase with craft-store pearls and water, then float a candle on top....

Barbequed oysters are the ultimate "love food." (Who knows - you might even find a pearl!) Place the in-shell oysters on the barbeque and they will naturally open when cooked. Serve with your favourite hot sauce, butter, and lemon wedges......

http://grillgrrrl.com/2012/03/grilled-oysters-with-jalapeno-butter-sauce-2/

You could also bake a small cake (or pick up a ready-made plain cake from a bakery ) and decorate with wired pearls (you can find them in a craft store)......

....followed by a moonlit walk on the beach.....where you could write your anniversary message in the sand.....

Old 12-30-2012, 02:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
This may be too ambitious for two-weeks, but it's on our bucket list:

The National Park to Park Highway | National Parks Traveler

Also, here's a link to vacation photos that someone else took while recreating this trip. (They must have gone in the winter, because most of their pictures have snow in them. Does anyone know if the Ellisons are on this forum, since they appear to have an Airstream?)

National Park-to-Park Highway Tour 2010 - YouTube

You can probably just pick out a couple of the National Parks to fill a two-week roadtrip. Also, I hope you don't rule out areas with wild animals, because these contain some of the most beautiful, unspoiled vistas you'll ever see. Just use a little common sense, and follow the Park Rangers guidelines.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
For our 30th (now 8 years ago), we went to Glacier NP, then on over to the Pacific coast in Washington, then down the Oregon coast into California, then Yosemite. Lots of great stops in between.

one of our best trips. We can always remember what we did to celebrate our milestone. We are already pondering #40.

Whatever you decide on, make it special. A 30 year marriage (to the same person) has become quite rare and is worthy of some special attention.

Send us a post card.

John and Susan
WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight he will just kill you........a wise old man.
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Cruiser View Post
Next June we will celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. We have talked about different trips, but we haven't settled on anything definite. It occurred to me this evening that I'd like to hear what our Forums members thought would make for a great 30th wedding anniversary trip -- we have up to two weeks, and we will be starting in Ohio. Also, we don't do hiking in where we have to contend with bear/mountain lions, etc. -- we'd probably have a heart attack if we ran into anything close to that.
Deb
We don't do the hiking in bear country, either, thank you for saying that. We've been been teased a bit about that.

Glacier is spectacular, and it would be easy enough to get to the west coast from there, if you didn't want to spend all your time in glacier, which would be easy enough to do if you explored it thoroughly and perhaps went into Waterton and the Waterton Townsite. Absolutely gorgeous up in there.

You could stop at the Isaac Walton inn for a couple of days if you were so inclined, or just have a meal in their beautiful restaurant.

Lots of beautiful country out there to explore.

Mggie
Old 12-30-2012, 12:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Wow, these are all wonderful ideas!!! When I posted, I was hoping forum members would share their ultimate wedding anniversary trip, and it appears you all are coming through for us.

FAN -- your idea sounds soooo romantic and would be wonderful! I can see us following your ideas and having an unforgettable time.

Phoenix -- thanks so much for the links you provided, those really started our yearning to go out West again, which we plan to do. But if we go out there that far, we thought it might be best to have more time to wander around and just do whatever, whenever instead of worrying about getting back. We could be all wet about this.

John & Susan -- Your trip sounds just like something we could and would do and return home with more incredible stories to tell than any of our friends/family would care to hear! How much time did you spend away from home on your 30th anniversary trip? (Just wondering since I think you are from the Carolinas and that might be somewhat comparable to our drive-time out there.)

Maggie -- You are quite welcome about mentioning that we are afraid of hiking in the "wild" bear country. We were a little concerned at the rally at Virginia Highland Haven when we were told bear sometimes come close in there. But, we hoped "safety in numbers", and we didn't venture out at night. (That really tells how much of "weanies" we are, doesn't it?!) We really enjoyed ourselves at that rally.

Anyway, we have talked about going out to Glacier NP for a couple of decades -- we definitely will do it, it's just having enough time. By the way, where is the "Isaac Walton Inn", it rings a bell that I may have read about it here on the Forum?

"Retirement", hopefully (depending upon the economy), is about five years away, a short list for our bucket list to do after that:

Wintering out West
Wintering in Florida
Balloon Fiesta and visiting Santa Fe, NM again
National Parks out West
Visiting the West Coast -- Starting with Northern CA and travelling up along the Oregon Coast. We love those shorelines!
Maine -- We love New England but haven't done it camping.
Camping through Georgia and the Southern states.
Lousianna, we are in love with their cooking, but we don't really know anything about going there (other than New Orleans).

Actually, there are so many trips we want to take, it would be difficult to pick which one to start with during retirement.

This 30th anniversary trip is special, so very special, that we want to get the "wow" factor for ourselves, and we thought it would be fun to hear what others do for special events. I'm hoping more will share.

Thanks to all.

Deb
Old 12-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Can I lend a little experience here without upsetting the group? (51 yrs married to same person)
Think out of the box, over the years I have heard camping, boating is more work for one of the participants.
Do a big ship cruise and even up the enjoyment factor, plus you can add any fine dining and excursions appropriate to what you both enjoy.
Just my two cents,
Dave
Old 12-30-2012, 02:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Deb, the light just came on. I was at the Highland Haven rally also. I remember you now as the first trailer on the left coming in.

Susan and I were gone 18 days, 7300 miles. We are both still working so that is the only way we can do it.

We have made several long cross country trips. Our method is to lay day some long miles the first few days, get some states behind us, put us closer to the area we want to visit. Then we slow down some. We see it as a "scouting trip". See as much as we can in a relatively short time, with hopes to some day go back for an extended visit. Then we lay down some more long miles returning home.

We have "scouted" the lower 48 this way, and are working our way back to some of our favorites places , along with some new ones along the way. 2-3 weeks isn't enough time but it sure beats sittin' at home.

I hope a trip works out for you. Neither of us can remember the other 29 anniversaries but we both know where we were on our 30th.

And don't forget to send us all a post card.

John
WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight he will just kill you........a wise old man.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
John, what a memory! You are absolutely correct, we were the first trailer on the left coming in. You're good!

It also sounds as though you and Susan have a good plan for getting out and about -- 7,300 miles, now that's some traveling. Your plan makes sense, get away from the everyday asap, and slow down in the new territory.

One problem we seem to be having more and more often, when it starts getting close to time to start our return home, we don't really want to end our vacation. I guess we'll have to work on that one, but looking forward to the time when we won't "have" to return home.

DaveFL -- A cruise sounds good too.....being pampered/massages/dancing/relaxing in the sun/no dishes!, ahhhh. However, I don't think I could get my DH on one. Two years ago he surprised me with a trip to Florida for my 60th birthday. He planned the entire trip, flights/we stayed on Sand Key at a resort hotel/rental car, he wouldn't tell me where we were going, just said pack for a week. That was completely unlike him! That was so special.

Thanks again.

Deb
Old 12-30-2012, 08:45 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Deb, just lucky on the memory thing, most days I CRS.

Retirement is unlikely for me so the 2-3 week trips will have to surfice. Maybe a 4-5 sometimes.

I love the road so the long days don't bother me. Harder for the copilot. I find it easier to drive than ride. Susan handles it well. She can/will tow but I enjoy it so much I don't want to give up my seat.

I wouldn't trade South Carolina for anything but unless you're traveling up or down, it's a long way to the left. Hence, the long first and last days. And like you, I never want the trip to end. The Wally comes out in me, I want to see what's over the next hill. Got ramblin' fever.

Perhaps pick a National park you've always wanted to visit, allow a week to get there and back, and have a week to spend in the park.

For us poor ole working folk on allotted time, it comes down to how much fun we can cram into how many miles.

It's never enough.

John
WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Old 12-30-2012, 09:12 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
John,

My favorite recipe would be:

Glacier - Many Glacier Campground, including a meal at the lodge
Tetons - Raft down the Snake River
Yellowstone - Norris Campground, then sunset

Norris Geyser Basis is nearly empty at sunset and very romantic.

You're tight on time, but these are some of our traveling highlights.

Our pics are at the bottom of this page. The blog goes backward, as Tumblrs do.

In any case, enjoy and congrats!

John
Old 12-31-2012, 07:00 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The Inn is in Glacier, and you can drive there or the Amtrak Empire Builder stops right in front. A beautiful spot.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...55534169,d.cWE

I have trouble copying links with this iPad, but you can google it at Izak Walton Inn.

Maggie