Old 02-03-2015, 10:25 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member
2005 30' Safari
Oak Park , Illinois
25th Wedding Anniversary Trip

My wife and I will be celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary this summer. Typically, we take trips with our kids but this will be the first couple only trip we have made. I want some recommendations from the great folks on the forum.

We would be departing from the Chicagoland area. This should be a trip of experiences. Our honeymoon was to NY City where many of our interest were covered

I prefer a loop journey as I don't like trekking back on the same path. Interests include:
•Art and Architecture - art can be visual or performing. Architecture because it is the supreme art form 😀
•Good food and wine with the preparation as part of the experience - farm to table kind it thing
•Nature for the beauty
•Fly Fishing for trout
•Cycling for enjoyment not distance or conditioning
•Traveling in our Airstream because I stay in enough hotels for work.

So, what route shall we take and destinations shall we see?

because I catch fish on a fly...

2005 30' Safari Bunkhouse
2010 F250 Lariat
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:54 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member
1993 34' Excella
Randolph , Vermont
Having spent 10 years full timing in an Airstream, can say that anyplace you go in North America is wonderful and each area has it's own charm and attractions.

That being said, can think of few places that rival the New England area and Maritime Provinces in the summer for the things that you listed as being of interest. Western part of New York state has some wonderful wineries and scenery, Vermont has more microbreweries per capita than any other state plus the Green Mountains. Massachusetts has the Boston history and charm. Heading through New Hampshire and Maine and up to New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island could take you a whole summer and the exchange rate in Canada is very good right now.

You didn't say how long you'd be gone but there is enough to do and see in that trip and returning via Quebec, Montreal and Toronto that you won't be bored. All of these areas have fantastic scenery, all have trout streams and lakes and cycling can be a joy.

Envy you both, take your time, have a great summer trip and Happy Anniversary.

oldfulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Congratulations on 25 years!

Where have you already been in your trailer?
How long do you have for your journey?

my restoration & travel blog:
Someday'59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:20 PM   #4
Len and Jeanne
2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Gosh-- it sounds like a lot of your interests are close to home!

You might consider exploring Colorado-- if you can go after May, when it can still be winter in the high country.

Architecture? maybe not what you are thinking, but try Mesa Verde. Many of the old mining towns have restored their "painted ladies." CU-Boulder has beautiful sandstone buildings, and is home to the NCAR building. (You may have seen it in Woody Allen's Sleeper.)

Wine country-- Palisade, Colorado on the western slope has many boutique wineries. You might even spend a night in the Wine Country Inn, and visit the red rock country of Colorado National Monument.

Nature-- but of course. Not only Rocky Mountain NP, but many national forests and monuments

Fly fishing-- yes

Cycling-- yes. Many designated trails in and around the ski resorts

I might also mention hot springs at places like Glenwood Springs. Culturally and gastronomically, you might enjoy the area around Aspen. Several of the ski resorts feature summer music festivals, as well.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:55 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member
2014 22' FB Sport
San Antonio , Texas
Santa Fe, then on to Ft. Davis/Marfa/Alpine/Terlingua/Lajitas/Marathon/Big Bend National Park. Nothing else like this part of the country. Like going to the moon.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 05:45 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member
2005 30' Safari
Oak Park , Illinois
I'm liking the ideas that are coming in. Here goes to answer a few of the questions that have surfaced.

Trip duration likely 10 to 14 days. I don't want to spend the whole trip driving and don't mind 5 to 7 hour drive days.

My wife and I both grew up in the south. We have traveled Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi, Texas, New Mexico, and some in Kentucky. Since moving north, our travels have primarily been to Wisconsin with drives through Illinois and Missouri. We have experienced vast differences in Airstream exploring between the north and the south. Just have to plan differently.

What other ideas may y'all have for us. ?
because I catch fish on a fly...

2005 30' Safari Bunkhouse
2010 F250 Lariat
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:13 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member
2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
Here are some ideas from another Chicago area Airstreamer--me:

1. Duluth and the nearby shore of Lake Superior.
2. Michigan, Traverse City and points north in the UP of Michigan including the Keweenaw Pennisula and Copper Harbor.
3. South Dakota Badlands, Custer State Park and the Black Hills.
4. Southern Colorado and Northern New Mexico.
5. Adirondacks

The Adirondacks might meet all of your criteria. If you decide to explore this area, let me know. I used to live there and can point you to some nice places. I have driven to the southern Adirondacks in 2 days.

Then there is West Virginia--some pretty places there.....
Caryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:52 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
High Springs , Florida
Art, architecture, food, wine, cycling, fishing...

Based on your listed interests, you might consider visiting Asheville, NC. The Biltmore Estate is very interesting historically and architecturally. Plus many other activities available.
WisePharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
Congratulations! My wife and I several years ago scheduled a 25th anniversary trip and our end goal was Lake Tahoe. Now I will tell you we never made it to Tahoe, but we had an incredible journey that took us to Colorado, Nevada (Great Basin NP), the north rim of the Grand Canyon, the Albuquerque balloon fiesta and on. Wherever you go, just enjoy!
The Slowsky's
2008 Airstream 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:38 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
Great! Congrats for sticking it out! Now enjoy the bigger blessingS! We are nearing 38!!!! Gets better ! Yep, I am blessed too!

Summer... How about a northern route to West... Minnesota, Montana Wyoming. South Dakota������. See some open Land of our country!!!!
Peace and Blessings..
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:37 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member
1965 17' Caravel
Silver Cliff , Colorado
Smile Yep it does get better.

This past summer we celebrated our 50th and marriage is still fantastic, can't imagine being without my beautiful wife.

D Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:18 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member
2007 27' Classic FB
Bellingham , Washington
Hop on I-90 and head west to Seattle. You'll cross the best trout streams, see beautiful country, & taste great Washington wines. It's the great Northwest! Returning on I-80 would make it about a 4500 mile loop. Let me know if you want more details.
vhaalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:08 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Fly Fishing

Roscoe, New York is a nice very small town, with a few nice campgrounds on the river. It prides itself, and is famous, for its fly fishing. It is on Rte 17, where it is most scenic, and has been named one of the most beautiful highways. Note that parts are under construction.

Roscoe is two hours from NYC. Has a few nice restaurants, diner, rustic bar, hardware store, and a traffic signal, not much else.

Oh yeah…..Happy anniverserraria !! Auto correct can't even spell it

PS…oops, I just reread your post and it appears that you don't need to go to NYC

If you are looking for a new experience try, New Orleans, Yellowstone, or Grand Canyon
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 02:44 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member
2007 27' Classic FB
Tupper Lake , New York
The 6 million acre Adirondack Park is beautiful. It's also home of the 1980 Winter Olympics in the scenic village of Lake Placid which has great food, designated trout fishing in the Ausable River. There are many quiet & scenic roads for biking. A drive up Whiteface Memorial Highway & up the elevator to the summit gives you an awesome view of many surrounding mountains. There are 46 peaks over 4,000' in elevation of which my husband have climbed 42. But there's also nice, rewarding, & level hikes you might enjoy. You might be interested in the era of the Great Camps of the Adirondacks built in the 1800's by the wealthy - many have been preserved. There's a about 3,000 mile of lakes, rivers, & streams if you like to paddle. This turf is where my husband & I live. We have enjoyed visiting all of the lower 48 states but love home, too.
Julie Hunter & Wes Jennings
'07 27' Classic
'08 Chevy Silverado

Diesel75 is offline   Reply With Quote