Old 11-09-2007, 04:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2007 20' Safari
San Diego , California
20'Safari - 5 Weeks, 3 Dogs, 1 Cat, yeah?

Ok maybe the cat was a bit over the top but it sure was great for the first real safari in our 2007 Safari 20. We traveled from San Diego up to Utah, west to east across southern Colorado and back home through New Mexico taking many of the scenic back roads through out the trip, for the most part avoiding the Interstates. Our return coincided with the wild fires in the San Diego mountains routing us almost up to LA to get around the fire, very sad.
On a more positive note what a great time to travel. the Fall colors were outrageous, for the most part the campgrounds were empty, and the trout were more than willing to eat my fly or nymph. Spend some time in Utah, what a beautiful state. The Boulder Mountains east of Bryce Canyon are truly scenic, the Nebo Loop near Provo was a rubber neckers paradise. Canyon Country was just kinda overwhelming.
In Colorado we worked our way along the 160 to the 84 to the 17 for a chance to fish the Conejo River. By then air temps had dropped to 16 degrees in the AM with 30 degrees registered inside the AS, i.e. 3dognights.
We are going to have to rethink heating as the forced air furnace is just too noisy in the night and for most of the time we were dry camping so no plug in electric heater. Maybe a portable propane catalytic?
In New Mexico we spent time in the Chama River Gorge but time was cut short with the fires as my wife's horse was stabled in one of the evacuation zones. It was evacuated to the polo grounds near the Del Mar race track but then fire continued towards that area and they threatened to let the nearly 500 horses corralled there loose to fend for themselves. To say the least I had one very upset copilot [thank God the fire backed off and all was well].
For the most part the Safari worked well. We had some issues with the heavy plastic molding between the hanging locker bulkhead and the interior cabin skin coming out. this was due to vibration on the washboard dirt roads The fix will be to detach the hanging locker from where mounted and silicone cement the molding in place. Also we found we were unable to fill the water tank without using hose pressure to do so. This made for problems in areas where we had to use a jerry jug to fill the tank. The problem was due to a kinked vent line and has now been fixed. The Serius Radio did not work as during install at the factory they cut the internally routed antenna. No problem I hum well. Seriously the thing that has us most upset is to see all of the corrosion taking place on our 9 month old trailer. Our dealer in Utah, where we made the purchase, emailed photos and a warranty work request to AS to solve the problem. This was denied by the AS service department. Upon my return home I saw the thread by SilverTwinkie on "Corrosion with new AirStreams". I called AS directly and was told it was all a misunderstanding [sure] and they would provide warranty repair. Time will tell how this works out but it seems that AS has a problem that they do not understand the cause of at this point in time. The problem is cosmetic but it is a bummer to see my new AS becoming corroded on the sheet metal as well as the hardware and wheels. Especially after all of the time I spent waxing it and it's not a year old. I will keep the situation posted on Twink's thread.
3DogNight is offline   Reply With Quote