Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-29-2017, 12:04 AM   #81
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryasmin View Post
A guy who specializes in towing for dealerships told me today that he thinks the titans and tundras (gas) are underpowered and will overheat a lot in the hills.
His opinion is not well founded. The 5.7L Tundra engine has 401 ft lbs torque; easily enough to pull a 10K lb trailer. In the most strenuous conditions my temp gauge never budges.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:17 AM   #82
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I actually own a diesel 2016 Titan XD and have little over 3000 miles on it. No issues at all. The very earliest models had some annoying recalls and service bulletins, but they seems to have gotten those glitches squared away.

The 5 liter Cummins has been used in school busses and generator installations for years. This is the first application in a personal vehicle.
Will it last? Can't say as this is my first diesel. I actually went to the dealership looking for a gas version but they "made me an offer I couldn't refuse"

My last Titan, a 2004 LE, went 213000 miles, 70000 miles of it towing my Airstream, and on the day I traded it in, everything worked except the CD player. So, I am an extremely biased Nissan fanboy.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 12:03 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
F150 will do you fine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamCSH View Post
I have a similar problem trying to figure out the right TV. Spent the afternoon at the Ford dealer testing out the two logical options to tow a new 25FB. Both the F150 and F250 can handle the towing capacity without problem but as many have stated in this forum, the problem is the payload. Thanks to the threads here, I made sure to look at the yellow door stickers showing the payload capacity and there is a huge difference between the dealer brochure and what shows-up on the dealer lot.

Using the spreadsheet posted earlier in this thread for 4 people in a Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab with running boards, I was surprised to find a payload of 1940# with 100 lbs of gear and a generator. Means there isn't much payload left if you start with an 840# empty hitch for a trailer that many of the threads indicate have a 1000# tongue weight when measured on a scale.

So many people here report they don't notice their trailer while towing and honestly I don't either with my Sequoia at 1315# NCC but I simply don't understand how the F150 equipped with comfortable seats in a crew configuration handling more than a minimal load is going to cut it.

All I can say as a fellow new Airstream owner is that you try out the posted spreadsheet and honestly put X's where you will be carrying the items shown. Pretty soon you are removing the sunroof and other items to get the weight back into line. Trying hard to fit into an F150 but if I'm honest on what I'll be carrying, the F250 is making more sense if having a cushion over maximum ratings is part of the gameplan.

To all who post here, Thank You. I All in all, this is a great place to learn.
You may want to re-read the posts on this thread, or other posts on TV's, for the F150 pulling a 25'AS. Many of us use this truck, and with the right configuration and payload, it is a great TV for 1/2T, if that is what you are looking to get. The only reason you may see the reference to the Lariat model, is to get the Heavy Duty tow option, 36gal fuel tank, and 1800-2000lb of payload...not happening in a Platinum or King Ranch, unfortunately...But, you can load up that Lariat with Echoboost (375HP; 470ft lbs torque), SuperCrew, short bed, inside options,(exclude the sunroof), and you should be pretty happy with most everything you might want in that truck including payload. GM can come close also. The torque in the 6.2 GM or the Echoboost, along with the new transmissions, offer fantastic combination of power, torque, and gas mileage. Not to mention, they ride very, very, nice!
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:32 PM   #84
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
As an update to any other newbie who may be following this and perhaps overthinking the numbers as I'm probably doing, 3-hours of checking actual shipping weights & configurations led me to confirm what Gypsydad and others have said here. There are 3 F150's showing at dealer lots using the Ford search tool with an EcoBoost, 10-speed transmission Lariat 502A, no moon roof, max trailer tow & power tow mirrors that will deliver a 2215# payload NCC capacity. The equivalent setup in a Diesel F250 would deliver 4164#.

Takeaway is that the dealer lots have yellow stickers with lower numbers but properly configured, these F150's can haul significant payload weight.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:32 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks to the threads here, I made sure to look at the yellow door stickers showing the payload capacity and there is a huge difference between the dealer brochure and what shows-up on the dealer lot.
Absolutely.

Quote:
There are 3 F150's showing at dealer lots using the Ford search tool with an EcoBoost, 10-speed transmission Lariat 502A, no moon roof, max trailer tow & power tow mirrors that will deliver a 2215# payload NCC capacity.
maybe. Still, check out the door sticker. It sounds right. The moon roof is something like 300# (twin panel)- that would be around 1920# or so but with the right wheel/tires, could be. The standard Lariat 18" tires/wheels, if the same as 2015 models, adds about 200# payload over the 20" option, so that would put it at 2120#. At least you are certainly shopping smart.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:51 PM   #86
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Renton , Washington
One thing that has confused me is how do the 18" wheel package give more payload? Is it tire load rating available or something in the wheel package since wheels and tires are unsprung weight?

BTW this has been a great thread. We are already pregnant with a Platinum but it's prepared me for that distant time when we are looking to replace our truck. We are very happy with the F-150 but we haven't gotten into summer when we may want to bring along grandkids, or bikes, or...more STUFF.
Wconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 12:03 AM   #87
3 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
The moon roof is something like 300# (twin panel)
Ford manual says 64# *added* weight for the twin moonroof. I compared calculations to two vehicles I verified and came within a few pounds.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...load_SB_v5.pdf
mixedpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:46 AM   #88
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamCSH View Post
As an update to any other newbie who may be following this and perhaps overthinking the numbers as I'm probably doing, 3-hours of checking actual shipping weights & configurations led me to confirm what Gypsydad and others have said here. There are 3 F150's showing at dealer lots using the Ford search tool with an EcoBoost, 10-speed transmission Lariat 502A, no moon roof, max trailer tow & power tow mirrors that will deliver a 2215# payload NCC capacity. The equivalent setup in a Diesel F250 would deliver 4164#.

Takeaway is that the dealer lots have yellow stickers with lower numbers but properly configured, these F150's can haul significant payload weight.
Are you sure about the 502A package? On Fords Build and Price website the only way I could get the Heavy Duty Payload package, the one that gets the truck to 2,300 lbs payload, is to spec the basic Lariat 500A package. You also have to spec the 6.5 foot bed and the 3.73 rear end. This option also forfeits bucket seats with the center console and most of the technology extras such as adaptive cruise control and such.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:09 AM   #89
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Charlestown , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
Are you sure about the 502A package? On Fords Build and Price website the only way I could get the Heavy Duty Payload package, the one that gets the truck to 2,300 lbs payload, is to spec the basic Lariat 500A package. You also have to spec the 6.5 foot bed and the 3.73 rear end. This option also forfeits bucket seats with the center console and most of the technology extras such as adaptive cruise control and such.

My experience mirrors yours. Could not get HDP to configure with 502A. Which is why I still lean towards an F250
Outdoorpeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 06:07 AM   #90
4 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
2018 27' Flying Cloud
2021 30RB Classic
Currently Looking...
Fredericksburg , Texas
I found this side by side comparison article on the web when I googled the subject.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/01...-overview.html
twbucksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 06:04 PM   #91
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
I was able to get Max Tow as indicated above but not Heavy Duty Trailer.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:20 PM   #92
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I load my F-150 to 500 lbs over the payload yellow sticker number, then use my weight distribution hitch to distribute 100 lbs to the trailer axles and 200 lbs to each truck axle. And the axle ratings (GAWR) are not exceeded and indicate the suspension is designed to carry the load. And the combined weight (GCWR) of truck, trailer and total load is not exceeded and indicate the truck is designed to pull and stop the load.

Exactly which component will break?

Now I hook up my Airstream with no weight distribution hitch and am 500 lbs over the payload yellow sticker number and the truck's rear axle rating (GAWR) is greatly exceeded.

I can expect the rear suspension will be in danger of breaking because it is loaded over the design spec. The truck can still pull it, but the braking and handling will be compromised because there is too much weight on the rear and not enough on the front.

The point is, there is much ado about not much of anything if you exceed payload and then set your weight distribution hitch up properly so no actual components are overloaded.

This also answers the question why there are and have been thousands of Airstreamers towing Airstreams successfully for generations with light trucks, SUV's, and sedans.

We bought the luxury or work truck we wanted, set it up as indicated and verified the weights. This has served us well for three trucks over 8 years and many, many cross-country trips everywhere bit a few northeastern states. The only problem we've had was with an inadequate weight distribution hitch, that problem was braking and handling.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:57 PM   #93
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
I'm sorry, but I have had posts removed that were deemed possibly or potentially offensive to another member (okay, one was rightfully so)

But I do not understand why a post which expressly tells others that they should grossly exceed the safety ratings specified for their vehicles, based solely on the fact that "well I've never had a problem" does not get removed. It's outright dangerous to make such statements and recommendations

Sorry Maggie
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:12 PM   #94
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Doug is correct. The payload number on trucks is more a guide than an absolute. Payload rating is commonly less than absolute payload capacity. The real limiter for practical purposes is axle ratings. Tires are normally sized to have capacities well exceeding axle ratings, but if not, then tires are the control. The best way to find out if within spec is to take the loaded rig to a CAT scale. This scale measures load on each axle at once. So staying within axle ratings, or GAWR, is also staying within safety ratings.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:41 PM   #95
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Traded my 2003 Chevy 3/4 ton duramax in on a 2 year old 2012 F150 SCREW Platinum. Although I liked the Dmax, I haven't looked back. The Dmax was great, but expensive to maintain. If you are somebody that scoffs at people who buy and maintain German cars (like the ones I have had and do currently own) then don't buy a diesel, very much in the BMW,Audi,MB repair realm. One reason I didn't by a newer diesel (I never buy new, it's a waste of money in my book - used 2/3 years old, still under warranty, mega dollars off the originally list is my M.O.) is that people on the forums seem to have so many problems with them, especially the DEF systems, hopefully they are starting to get those straightened out. Spend some time on the various truck forums before purchasing (Diesel Place for Chevys for example) My Dmax lived under the constant cloud of worrying about the injectors needing to be replaced. A $3/4,000 job. I was one of the lucky ones, and i mean the few, that was still running on the originals when I sold it with 130k miles on it (one motivation to sell - the others being the rocker panels starting to rust - thank you GM). BTW I pamper my vehicles - the get the best parts/fluids and service. I did have other expensive repairs (i.e.: hydrobooster, rusted out brake lines - thanks to cheapo GM - front hub - so much for heavy duty - the list goes on). I also feel safer in the F150 going down mountains as it has better engine braking than the diesel ('03s didn't have exhaust brakes).

The F150 does a great job towing my '99 27' Safari. I barely notice any difference towing (I slightly feel large trucks passing me more than in the Dmax). Granted the newer diesel pickup trucks with their "super" torque" would definitely blow the ecoboost away when accelerating while towing. The Ford handles great even with my blingey 20" wheels (with Michelin LTXs). BTW more LT 20" tires are becoming available as this size is becoming more popular. BF Goodrich makes on in the 275/55/R20 that is the size on mine (Goodrich is owned by Michelin BTW - maybe they will come out with an LTX, although the Goodrich T/A is very well regarded - see the reviews on the Tire Rack). The truck has got all of the bells and whistles and I enjoy them all including the sunroof (I'm a rag top guy, my other vehicle is a 2013 Audi A5 Cabriolet). It has the 3.73 rear so it's almost like a hot rod coming off the line, it also has the Max Tow, Elec Locking Rear Diff, AC/Heating Front Seats (I love them - I enjoy the AC seats more than I thought I would), heated rear seats (my mother in law loves those in the winter).

BTW, I stumbled upon this truck while trying to find a SCREW shorted with the Maxtow package. Hard to find around here, I certainly wasn't shooting for a Platinum - instead an optioned up XLT or Lariet, but this was they only one I found, and I am glad I did. I'm very satisfied.

One other thought, in general IMHO 1/2 ton truck will handle better and as far as I am concerned is much safer in day to day use where likely 75+% of the use of our trucks are seen (yes I know a few of you are exceptions to that). I use the F150 well within the cargo limits etc. when towing. No matter what you pull your trailer with, common sense needs to prevail. I see some guys blowing up the road doing 75-80 dragging a 5er, big time truckers, yeah right.

BTW if you are really worried about load limits, safety etc, and don't care about repair costs, a nice used class 8 will tow the trailer literally like it's not behind it LOL (in know, I used to drive them). But not as much fun to drive (other than the "show off" qualities) and very expensive to maintain (when they need it).

Your mileage may vary. All of these modern trucks, 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton or whatever, are much better than what folks were dragging trailers around with 10/20/30 etc. etc. years ago. Also, bear in mind that the lawyers and engineers have likely built in a fairly large safety buffer in their weight ratings.

Anyway, just my 2 cents on this (one of many) pickup truck threads LOL.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2781.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	450.3 KB
ID:	279157  
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 07:08 AM   #96
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
Doug is correct. The payload number on trucks is more a guide than an absolute. Payload rating is commonly less than absolute payload capacity. The real limiter for practical purposes is axle ratings. Tires are normally sized to have capacities well exceeding axle ratings, but if not, then tires are the control. The best way to find out if within spec is to take the loaded rig to a CAT scale. This scale measures load on each axle at once. So staying within axle ratings, or GAWR, is also staying within safety ratings.
Really people, do the research check and verify, then comment.

Doug is not correct, you are not correct. Just because California weigh stations only check axle weights does not mean that is correct, it only means that is what they care about and look for.

The max payload isn't a guess it isn't a guide, it is the exact number that has been determined by extensive engineering and the difference between the GVWR and the build weight of the vehicle. By saying that you regularly are 500lbs over payload is the same as 500lbs over GVWR and in some states and the province of British Columbia that is illegal and fineable. Along with exceeding the specifications for your vehicle for stability and braking.

British Columbia

How Stuff Works

Online Towing Guide

Look at any after market, dealer sold vehicle, High Country, Rough Country etc and you will see that they are required to replace the original yellow sticker with a new one because of the alterations they've made to the vehicle.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:51 AM   #97
Rivet Master

Too late for an edit so here's one more

Gross Axle Weight Rating
(GAWR)

This is the carrying capacity for each axle system (this would include the tires, suspension components and the axle). You will usually find that the rear axle has a higher GAWR than the front. DO NOT make the mistake of adding your 2 GAWR and thinking that this is what your vehicle will carry. See GVWR, which will usually be lower than the sum of the 2 GAWR.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:08 AM   #98

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
Really people, do the research check and verify, then comment.

Doug is not correct, you are not correct. Just because California weigh stations only check axle weights does not mean that is correct, it only means that is what they care about and look for.

The max payload isn't a guess it isn't a guide, it is the exact number that has been determined by extensive engineering and the difference between the GVWR and the build weight of the vehicle. By saying that you regularly are 500lbs over payload is the same as 500lbs over GVWR and in some states and the province of British Columbia that is illegal and fineable. Along with exceeding the specifications for your vehicle for stability and braking.

British Columbia

How Stuff Works

Online Towing Guide

Look at any after market, dealer sold vehicle, High Country, Rough Country etc and you will see that they are required to replace the original yellow sticker with a new one because of the alterations they've made to the vehicle.
Which US state(s) will fine a private, non-commercial light-duty pickup truck for operation over its weight rating?

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:18 AM   #99
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
I'm sorry but you cannot just pick and choose what you like from the user manual. The manual CLEARLY says not to exceed GVWR as well as axle ratings. You cannot move the goal posts just because you are exceeding the GVWR and are trying to justify your choice.

Each vehicle is designed to carry a fixed amount of load. This load can be distributed unevenly front and rear; Thats why sum of axle ratings is more than GVWR. The load can also be distributed unevenly right and left; Thats why the sum of tire ratings is more than the axle rating.

I have loaded my vehicle to GVWR and there is a noticeable degradation in acceleration, braking, and handling. Exceeding GVWR (up to sum of axle ratings as some suggest) is just going to worsen this. Maybe you won't notice much exceeding GVWR under the normal circumstances, but you will sure regret it when the $%^& hits the fan. These ratings were not pulled out of a hat and are there for a reason, to protect both you the customer and the manufacturer.

P.S. unless you are an auto engineer who knows the inner workings of setting the GVWR, stating that GVWR can be ignored remains your personal opinion, and not a fact/truth.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:07 AM   #100
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I load my F-150 to 500 lbs over the payload yellow sticker number, then use my weight distribution hitch to distribute 100 lbs to the trailer axles and 200 lbs to each truck axle. And the axle ratings (GAWR) are not exceeded and indicate the suspension is designed to carry the load. And the combined weight (GCWR) of truck, trailer and total load is not exceeded and indicate the truck is designed to pull and stop the load.

Exactly which component will break?

Now I hook up my Airstream with no weight distribution hitch and am 500 lbs over the payload yellow sticker number and the truck's rear axle rating (GAWR) is greatly exceeded.

I can expect the rear suspension will be in danger of breaking because it is loaded over the design spec. The truck can still pull it, but the braking and handling will be compromised because there is too much weight on the rear and not enough on the front.

The point is, there is much ado about not much of anything if you exceed payload and then set your weight distribution hitch up properly so no actual components are overloaded.

This also answers the question why there are and have been thousands of Airstreamers towing Airstreams successfully for generations with light trucks, SUV's, and sedans.

We bought the luxury or work truck we wanted, set it up as indicated and verified the weights. This has served us well for three trucks over 8 years and many, many cross-country trips everywhere bit a few northeastern states. The only problem we've had was with an inadequate weight distribution hitch, that problem was braking and handling.
There have been many attempts to explain the relationship of "payload" to towing combinations and proper use of weight distribution hitches. Here is a quote from towing and hitch expert Andrew Thomson of Can-Am RV, in an earlier thread on payload and weight distribution:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
This might help a little with this subject. These are the actual numbers with this 23D loaded for travel.

In this case as with most combinations we are over the payload capacity but not exceeding the axle ratings.

Part of the issue when they establish payload is that they have to assume you will not add any weight to the front wheels or indeed probably lighten them sot it is hard for that number to apply to towing.

Andrew T
Followed by the usual rebuttals. It is unfortunate members with perfectly safe and capable tow vehicles (such as F-150 Platinum) are being told they cannot use them and must get something bigger, or without the wonderful equipment a modern truck has to offer, because of a "payload" number that has so little if any effect on the task at hand when the towing combination is set up properly with weight distribution and well within the GAWR and GCWR. It is especially unfortunate when one realizes thousands of such combinations have been doing this successfully for generations of RV'ers.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote