Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2017, 07:03 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
Ok, so a half-ton that can carry a ton-and-a-half.

Got it.
No, a half ton can carry a bit over a half ton to a bit over a ton, depending upon how it is equipped and according to the particular truck's door label.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:02 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by raidergal View Post
3/4 ton "MAX TOW" eco bo
You don't need the platinum!! We built this truck waited 6 weeks for it!!! Large gasoline tank, towing mirrors, chrome package,Attachment 278579Attachment 278579

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
That looks great! Unfortunately, I want the Super crew, short bed, large gas tank, with MaxTow, so likely will have to get a Lariat, which is not bad. I don't need the sunroof nor navigation anymore.
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:09 AM   #43
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
No, a half ton can carry a bit over a half ton to a bit over a ton, depending upon how it is equipped and according to the particular truck's door label.
Depends on the manufacturer.

An F150 ranges up to 3263 lbs, which is then reduced by alternate cab, box, and options configurations. I would pick the 3.5 Ecoboost, a Supercab, and 4wd, which takes it to 2700 lbs.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:48 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Depends on the manufacturer.

An F150 ranges up to 3263 lbs, which is then reduced by alternate cab, box, and options configurations. I would pick the 3.5 Ecoboost, a Supercab, and 4wd, which takes it to 2700 lbs.
I know, but I was trying to speak to what most folks buy here. What you discuss is most probably a pretty bare bones regular cab long bed.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:30 PM   #45
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I know, but I was trying to speak to what most folks buy here. What you discuss is most probably a pretty bare bones regular cab long bed.
My last four Ford trucks were all XLT models. Never understood spec'ing so many options that it reduced light truck payloads to passenger car levels.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:19 PM   #46

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
My last four Ford trucks were all XLT models. Never understood spec'ing so many options that it reduced light truck payloads to passenger car levels.
For the current generation there's not a big payload difference between standard XLT and Lariat until you get into moonroofs and massaging seats and motorized running boards and other heavy optional toys. The nice adds for the Lariat (esp 502A) are the LED headlights, larger and configurable "productivity screen" between speedo & tach, availability of the 360-degree camera, etc. The main thing you give up is the possibility of having the HD Payload option in mid and lux trims for the Lariat, but that requires the long-wheelbase truck anyway, which I prefer to avoid since my truck will be a driver as well as a tow vehicle. I'm OK with that with my vintage trailers, if I had a big modern trailer with 1000+ lb tongue weight I might make different choices.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:37 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Unless you order the truck yourself, chances are that your tires will be P rated or passenger tires. If so, have the Ford dealer change them out for at least C rated LT or truck tires. You will be glad.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Airstream Forums mobile app
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:09 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
That looks great! Unfortunately, I want the Super crew, short bed, large gas tank, with MaxTow, so likely will have to get a Lariat, which is not bad. I don't need the sunroof nor navigation anymore.

Just a thought go on Ford.com and build your truck, pick you options, that's what we did. Super Crew and short beds are more common, then add your max tow pack, we don't have nav or sunroof, we have large gas tank, bucket seats console. Just take your time it can be very time consuming!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
raidergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:27 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Surry , Virginia
Isn' a ton still 2000# ?

Sent from my SM-T710 using Airstream Forums mobile app
NukeSubSailr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:21 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by NukeSubSailr View Post
Isn' a ton still 2000# ?
Nope! Not no more!

2000 lbs (1 ton) X one half (F-150) = Payload.

Do the math

X .5

OR

X .5

It all depends on your equipment.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:01 AM   #51
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Queen Creek , Arizona
I'm new to AS and also to PU truck ownership. Studying this thread, I'm somewhat overwhelmed. But, we're excited and are moving forward with our purchases. We are ordering a factory new FC 25FB. We will also build an order a TV. At this point, I like Ford EB better than GM V-8. And, we're definitely going "first class." We desire safety, performance, technology, and luxury ... lot's of margin. The F-150 Platinum seems to have all that and I want to pull the trigger, but not be subject to the sales guy's narrow frame of reference. I see a lot of discussion form you experts on "payload." As newbies, just the two of us are planning to wanderlust, not be full-timing. I think we'll put in the TV a generator, a bike or two, couple of chairs, a cooler, the basics, etc. I plan for a WD hitch, sway control - all the bells and whistles. My questions: 1) What should a "reasonable target payload" be for my TV? 2) Would it be better/smarter to build up my list of desired options from a Lariat trim level (but, my wife really likes the toys on the Platinum)? 3) Can I put aside discussion or the need to vet an F-250 vs. the 150 or should I rethink that, too? (I prefer the smaller 1/2 ton for drivability). In advance, thank for your input - this forum is really excellent!
rbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:43 AM   #52
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbaldwin View Post
I'm new to AS and also to PU truck ownership. Studying this thread, I'm somewhat overwhelmed. But, we're excited and are moving forward with our purchases. We are ordering a factory new FC 25FB. We will also build an order a TV. At this point, I like Ford EB better than GM V-8. And, we're definitely going "first class." We desire safety, performance, technology, and luxury ... lot's of margin. The F-150 Platinum seems to have all that and I want to pull the trigger, but not be subject to the sales guy's narrow frame of reference. I see a lot of discussion form you experts on "payload." As newbies, just the two of us are planning to wanderlust, not be full-timing. I think we'll put in the TV a generator, a bike or two, couple of chairs, a cooler, the basics, etc. I plan for a WD hitch, sway control - all the bells and whistles. My questions: 1) What should a "reasonable target payload" be for my TV? 2) Would it be better/smarter to build up my list of desired options from a Lariat trim level (but, my wife really likes the toys on the Platinum)? 3) Can I put aside discussion or the need to vet an F-250 vs. the 150 or should I rethink that, too? (I prefer the smaller 1/2 ton for drivability). In advance, thank for your input - this forum is really excellent!
Do it once and do it as right as possible. Staying in the F150, skip the Platinum, unless you're wearing a 3 piece suit going to a construction site, go Lariat package with the Heavy Duty Payload and then add whatever options you want that can be included, to include 36 gal tank.

Let us know what you find.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:07 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I studied this at length, and agree the turbo Ecoboost is a superior choice to a naturally aspirated V8, particularly above 4,000 feet. Any F150 trim with the 3.5 Ecoboost will pull any Airstream fine. Payload is the problem. The Platinum is heavy. It comes standard with heavy options like sunroof, retractable running boards, and 20" wheels and tires. Lots of dealers also add in the FX4 package which is also heavy. I ended up ordering a Lariat without those extras. Even with the shortbed SuperCrew Im expecting payload between 1,600 and 1,700. As the F150 is on the lighter side of half ton thanks to aluminum I also expect more latitude to balance load per the axle weight ratings with the weight distribution hitch.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:29 AM   #54

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Which particular Platinum toys does your wife like? Most of the features are available on a Lariat, though if you take other advice on this thread and order HD Payload you'll rule out some of the options that aren't available below the 502A package. HD Payload is available on the base Lariat trim but not Mid or Luxury.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:39 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
On the other hand, at a recent rally the folks next to us had a Platinum F150 towing a 25FB and seemed happy. Not sure they really delved into the numbers, but also weren't carrying much in the bed. Sometimes it's too easy to over think these things.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:14 AM   #56
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Quote:
I think we'll put in the TV a generator, a bike or two, couple of chairs, a cooler, the basics, etc.
Most trucks can pull 5-10 times as much weight in a trailer than it can carry in the bed. Use your truck bed for the dirty stuff like generators and bikes, but it may be better to stow clean items in the trailer. It will also be more secure when your truck is unattended at gas stations and rest stops.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:02 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
re-read beginning of this thread including Platinum owners

Quote:
I think there is some good advice/information in the beginning and throughout this thread on Platinum vs Lariat "with options" that should help you with your decision, if your going F150. Notice "jayseejay"'s thread which shows the "payload" of his Platinum at 1464 lbs. The 25FB FC has a "AS brochure" stated weight of 835lbs; add passengers, a 40 lb generator, some extra fuel, 10 lbs, firewood-30 lbs, some camping gear-30 lbs, a kayak or 2-90lbs-120lbs and you could easily be over payload weight, even with WD hitch. You can, however, counter the weight of the AS hitch by putting bikes on back bike rack, and perhaps some weight in rear under table...(folding solar panels, some groceries, liquor?) still may not be enough to be within specs. Some folks don't care about that "payload" part as long as it rolls behind your TV, so in the end its your decision on how you roll....

My wife talked me into the Platinum when I originally was looking at a loaded up Lariat, but I was not smart enough to understand the "payload" trade off with my unit until few years ago. As others have mentioned, you can pretty much get most of the "features" with the Lariat if you build it right, and have a decent payload. It's the trim stuff, the sunroof, power running boards, 20" wheels, 36 gal tank, 4x4, which will affect your payload.

From what I have learned, I am now leaning toward another EB in the spring but this time I will get a Lariat with the fixed running boards, super crew shorted, 10 speed with EB, 4x4, 36 gal tank, max tow package and try for at least 2000 lbs payload. All I need now is money!
Old 01-24-2017, 02:08 PM   #58
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
From what I have learned, I am now leaning toward another EB in the spring but this time I will get a Lariat with the fixed running boards, super crew shorted, 10 speed with EB, 4x4, 36 gal tank, max tow package and try for at least 2000 lbs payload. All I need now is money!
At least your wallet will be light enough it won't hurt your payload numbers.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:47 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
At least your wallet will be light enough it won't hurt your payload numbers.
I hear that! Think I can get $11-13K discount, from my discussions, but still pricy.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:54 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I talked with my local ford dealer and their tire guy. My 2016 platinum is rated at 1560 lb payload. The oem tires are hankook 275/55 20r. The high load number on the tire is 2450 at 41 psi. Door says 35 which puts it considerably lower in loading. Probably 2200. Tires as most designer trucks are P rated (passenger). That puts them 10% lower on load with a truck.

I just purchased 4 BF Goodrich ko2 alterain LT tires same size. Equivalent load hi end would be around 46 psi. Stronger sidewalls, D rated 8 ply stronger tire. Can be inlated to 60 psi.

That should provide a wide margin of error on the load capacity and provide a more solid footprint. Recommendation is from ford. Comment was, "Put a real truck tire on". Ive had these on my wrangler for years. Last set i got 62000 miles on them.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote