Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2016, 07:56 PM   #81
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Henderson , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGK View Post
I've been considering selling a 1999 F250 SD SC 4x4 V8 manual with tow/camper pkg and also a 2010 Tacoma 4cyl daily driver. I've been researching whether I could consolidate functions into a 2017 F150 Ecoboost. I tow a 1971 23' Safari (max weight 5,200#) and, at times, carry an aluminum pop-up truck camper weighing in at 1,600 lbs when loaded up. The camper would not be on the truck when towing the trailer. I had a dealer e-mail me build sheets for a 2017 F150 4x4 XLT w/3.5L Ecoboost with the Heavy-Duty Payload and Max tow packages for both the Supercab w/8ft box and a Crew Cab with the 6.5ft box. GVWR for both configurations is 7,850 lbs.

I found this on the web;

"The Heavy-Duty Payload Package increases the truck's payload and towing capabilities with an eight-foot cargo box, upgraded springs, tires, and wheels, as well as a heavier duty leaf supension. The package is available for the regular cab or extended cab (SuperCab) models equipped with the 5.0-liter V-8 or 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6.
The package increases the truck's GVWR to 7,600 pounds for the XL trim and 7,850 pounds for the XLT and Lariat trim models. The package is paired with the Max Trailer Tow Package on the EcoBoost and the Trailer Tow Package on the V-8. The Heavy-Duty Payload Package retails for $1,500.
The package increases payload to 3,300 pounds for the V-8 and 2,900 pounds for the EcoBoost. Without the package, the EcoBoost truck has a maximum payload of 2,230 pounds. Trailering capability for a SuperCab with the EcoBoost would increase to 11,800 pounds from 10,700, said Mike Levine, Ford's truck communications manager.
The upgrade is designed for commercial users in the construction, landscape, and automotive parts industries, Levine said.
The heavy payload package includes five LT245/70R17E BSW A/T tires for the XL; five LT275/65R18C OWL A/T tires for the XLT or Lariat; 17-inch silver steel heavy-duty wheels for the XL; 18-inch silver aluminum heavy-duty wheels for the XLT or Lariat; upgraded springs and auxiliary transmission oil cooler; and a 9.75-inch gear set with 3.73 electronic-locking slip axle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGK View Post
I've been considering selling a 1999 F250 SD SC 4x4 V8 manual with tow/camper pkg and also a 2010 Tacoma 4cyl daily driver. I've been researching whether I could consolidate functions into a 2017 F150 Ecoboost. I tow a 1971 23' Safari (max weight 5,200#) and, at times, carry an aluminum pop-up truck camper weighing in at 1,600 lbs when loaded up. The camper would not be on the truck when towing the trailer. I had a dealer e-mail me build sheets for a 2017 F150 4x4 XLT w/3.5L Ecoboost with the Heavy-Duty Payload and Max tow packages for both the Supercab w/8ft box and a Crew Cab with the 6.5ft box. GVWR for both configurations is 7,850 lbs.

I found this on the web;

"The Heavy-Duty Payload Package increases the truck's payload and towing capabilities with an eight-foot cargo box, upgraded springs, tires, and wheels, as well as a heavier duty leaf supension. The package is available for the regular cab or extended cab (SuperCab) models equipped with the 5.0-liter V-8 or 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6.
The package increases the truck's GVWR to 7,600 pounds for the XL trim and 7,850 pounds for the XLT and Lariat trim models. The package is paired with the Max Trailer Tow Package on the EcoBoost and the Trailer Tow Package on the V-8. The Heavy-Duty Payload Package retails for $1,500.
The package increases payload to 3,300 pounds for the V-8 and 2,900 pounds for the EcoBoost. Without the package, the EcoBoost truck has a maximum payload of 2,230 pounds. Trailering capability for a SuperCab with the EcoBoost would increase to 11,800 pounds from 10,700, said Mike Levine, Ford's truck communications manager.
The upgrade is designed for commercial users in the construction, landscape, and automotive parts industries, Levine said.
The heavy payload package includes five LT245/70R17E BSW A/T tires for the XL; five LT275/65R18C OWL A/T tires for the XLT or Lariat; 17-inch silver steel heavy-duty wheels for the XL; 18-inch silver aluminum heavy-duty wheels for the XLT or Lariat; upgraded springs and auxiliary transmission oil cooler; and a 9.75-inch gear set with 3.73 electronic-locking slip axle.
Hey TGK,
After racking my brain on these forums and elsewhere trying to decide on what truck to get, I just picked up a 2016 F150 XLT with the HD Payload package. It's a Supercrew with a 6.5' bed, 3.5EB, 3.73 rear, Max Tow, FX4, and a bunch of other goodies. It's a "truck", but is still rather comfortable (Sync 3 has a well designed UI). Most importantly, the payload sticker is 2,415 lbs.

I was tempted by an F250 diesel, but the Lariats I looked at had payloads just above 2k(I didn't look at any of the 2017s yet). Plus my mechanic friends cringed when I mentioned the prospect of owning a modern diesel. I drove a bunch of older models as well and looked at some newer non-HD F150s (real-world payloads between 1600 and 1850). The HD Payload F150 just seemed like a more practical option, and the year-end discounts were very tempting. My fiance and I only have 1 vehicle, and we bike or walk wherever we can locally. When we drive, we tend to tack on a bunch of miles at once. So we needed something that could strike a balance between burly and practical.

We haven't towed with it yet, but it seems like a pretty sweet vehicle. I will certainly post up when we put more miles on it.

Oh, the point I wanted to make to you was around this HD Payload option. In my experience, this thing is a bit of a unicorn. I had not seen one in person until I found the one we ended up buying. I have heard of people ordering them and they never get built....very few were made in 2015, and they didn't make them until the later half of 2016 (from what I've read). I stumbled upon mine by searching dealers on the Ford website, and looking at every window sticker for F150s with 3.5EB and 6.5' beds. When I found it, it wasn't even being built yet, it was just ordered. The salespeople were very skeptical if it would even show up, but it eventually did so I grabbed it. Just a warning, you could be waiting a while for it.

And as far as payload numbers go, anything you see in marketing materials, or "truck builder" apps is total bull. Real world numbers are nowhere near that high. And I haven't talked to one salesperson that understands what payload even is. Check out the link that SCOTTinNJ posted and do the math.

Good luck in your quest!
raoulduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:42 AM   #82
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
2017 f150 vs 250 towing vehicle

That unicorn F150 looks totally awesome spec wise. We have the same truck in a 2015 4wd without HD and have 1907 payload. That HD is the bomb! If I ordered one it would be built just like yours.

Congratulations and many happy towing miles ahead!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:24 AM   #83
MOS
3 Rivet Member

2023 19' Caravel
Queensbury , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by raoulduke View Post
Hey TGK,
After racking my brain on these forums and elsewhere trying to decide on what truck to get, I just picked up a 2016 F150 XLT with the HD Payload package. It's a Supercrew with a 6.5' bed, 3.5EB, 3.73 rear, Max Tow, FX4, and a bunch of other goodies. It's a "truck", but is still rather comfortable (Sync 3 has a well designed UI). Most importantly, the payload sticker is 2,415 lbs.

I was tempted by an F250 diesel, but the Lariats I looked at had payloads just above 2k(I didn't look at any of the 2017s yet). Plus my mechanic friends cringed when I mentioned the prospect of owning a modern diesel. I drove a bunch of older models as well and looked at some newer non-HD F150s (real-world payloads between 1600 and 1850). The HD Payload F150 just seemed like a more practical option, and the year-end discounts were very tempting. My fiance and I only have 1 vehicle, and we bike or walk wherever we can locally. When we drive, we tend to tack on a bunch of miles at once. So we needed something that could strike a balance between burly and practical.

We haven't towed with it yet, but it seems like a pretty sweet vehicle. I will certainly post up when we put more miles on it.

Oh, the point I wanted to make to you was around this HD Payload option. In my experience, this thing is a bit of a unicorn. I had not seen one in person until I found the one we ended up buying. I have heard of people ordering them and they never get built....very few were made in 2015, and they didn't make them until the later half of 2016 (from what I've read). I stumbled upon mine by searching dealers on the Ford website, and looking at every window sticker for F150s with 3.5EB and 6.5' beds. When I found it, it wasn't even being built yet, it was just ordered. The salespeople were very skeptical if it would even show up, but it eventually did so I grabbed it. Just a warning, you could be waiting a while for it.

And as far as payload numbers go, anything you see in marketing materials, or "truck builder" apps is total bull. Real world numbers are nowhere near that high. And I haven't talked to one salesperson that understands what payload even is. Check out the link that SCOTTinNJ posted and do the math.

Good luck in your quest!

I have a similar story.
I wanted a Regular cab 8' bed for my motorcycle. Max Tow , max payload XLT with some bells . A dealer found one for me that someone special ordered a 2016 and did not take it . Got great deal .
Door sticker for the payload is 2945 !
MOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:05 AM   #84
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Was surprised to see that the 10 speed is offered on 2017s . Knew it was in the pipeline, but expected the introduction to take another year. Also interested to hear the 2017 3/4 has a boxed frame with a remarkable number of welds used to increase chassis stiffness. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote