Old 06-13-2010, 02:55 PM   #15
2005 28' International CCD
count me in

in the pet section and my ultra quite yahama generator......

and the Four P's(Paula, Phoenix and Peabody II and Pearl)…Peabody is here…..
2013 GMC sierra denali
WBCCI 2541

kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:54 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Plenty of room...

Camp Scholler is roughly 1 mile by 1.5 miles, divided into "streets" and sections (generator, non-generator, pet, handicapped, etc..) It has never filled.. You pay in full for event at beginning, and collect refund if you leave early on way out. Showers, stores and restrooms spring up, and for 1 week the Airport is the 4th largest city in the State...

More than 10,000 airplanes will land and stay at OSH, with overflow to south at Appleton and another 150 at the seaplane base on Lake Winnebago. There are tractor-pulled shuttles criss-crossing the grounds, and it is easy to get around, though you may still wear out batteries in a pedometer... Take comfortable chairs, rain gear (it drizzled and showered on us in '04, and we never used the A/C we were so worried about...).

Part of the magic is that quite a few retired Air Force Colonels and other volunteers arrive a few weeks early and whip the airport into shape, and manage it during the week in amazing fashion.. No litter, no rowdiness, and weather or other challenges seem minor. Meeting folks from all over the world in large restaurant tents (we sat across from young man who'd flown Vari-eze he'd built in Argentina to OSH to show it off...) is amazing.. Adding an Airstream group (given Wally's history building aircraft for Curtiss Wright during the war) just adds to the event.. Wish I could get back there again...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:18 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
2006 28' International CCD
Nashville , Tennessee
See you there . . .

We'll be there and hope to meet you -- our plans are also to camp in the pet section. We'll have our generator but do not plan on staying in the 24-hour generator section -- too noisy and fumes. When we were there in 2008, you could run a generator in any section except during quiet hours which I think were from 10 p.m. -8:00 a.m.

dmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:34 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Sparks , Nevada
Hey Debbie!
I'm jealous --- would love to check this out! Hope you & Pat are doing well -- and your little pup! How about another shuttle rally - two confirmed launches left and possibly a third!
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:35 PM   #19
Rivet Master
2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Gaylej & I made the journey from San Antonio to OSH for 12 years with our aircraft and camping under the wing in our tent. The last 2 times Gayle was PIC and made the landing at OSH. The in-coming arrivals into OSH is a storey in its self. Lots and lots of airplanes in trail to the runway. What memories it bring. Although both of us are licensed pilots and still own an aircraft our flights to OSH are over. Our Airstream has taken its place for our travels. We had talked about going back to OSH with the AS and staying on the grounds. That would be just as exciting as flying there. You are still on the grounds and for the most part everything is easy to get to. What we have learned in the past is when the crowds get larger the trams get crowded and the waiting lines can take well over thirty minutes.

Our most enjoyable times at OSH were after the airshows when all the spectators left the grounds and only the campers were left. The port-a-potties were usually cleaned late in the afternoon and that made it even better. Warm showers to boot.

We have rode out some very bad weather while attending the event. We always double tied down our plane to help secure it. The weather can be anything from hot and humid to, boy, I wish I had brought a pair off warm clothes. Been there and done that.

Yes, we would like to go back to OSH but this time with our Airstream.

gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote