Old 01-25-2010, 06:25 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hobin View Post
Wow, thanks to each of you for the advice and suggestions. We have been to a few sites in Virginia and really enjoyed Charleston late last March. I have made notes of the above and will be talking it all through with my wife. She did make a suggestion that she would like to drive with the trailer along the Blue Ridge Parkway but I am nervous in that I am not sure that it would be safe until late March. Would anyone have different views?
Regards
Brian
It might not be open in March, that was our experience last year, and that is a good thing as you don't want to be driving up there on slick roads.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:28 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
Blacksburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hobin View Post
Wow, thanks to each of you for the advice and suggestions. We have been to a few sites in Virginia and really enjoyed Charleston late last March. I have made notes of the above and will be talking it all through with my wife. She did make a suggestion that she would like to drive with the trailer along the Blue Ridge Parkway but I am nervous in that I am not sure that it would be safe until late March. Would anyone have different views?
Regards
Brian
I lived in Blacksburg, VA (southwest VA and near the Blue Ridge Pkwy) for a few years and once again...the weather is unpredictable at that time of year. Sorry I am not very helpful. But, should you check the weather as your trip approaches and all looks safe, I highly recommend stopping in Floyd, VA (just off the Blue Ridge Pkwy) but only if you are passing through on a Friday night. Friday nights are their Bluegrass night and this one stoplight town comes alive! The old Country Store hosts live Bluegrass music and dancing. And, if the weather is nice, the streets fill up with musicians playing their banjos and fiddles. It is quite a sight! My husband and I went several times and had a blast just people-watching and listening to the music. Definitely worth a stop if you pass through. But, again: Only on a Friday night. Otherwise the town is very quiet. There is an Airstream-only park near Floyd...not sure when it reopens for the season but might be worth looking into (?)

Old 01-25-2010, 06:31 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Hi Brian from another Ontario Brian!

We are going to be following a route more or less in reverse of your intended travels.

We will leave home, weather permitting around 13 Feb and head for "Cajun country" around Lafayette to sample some cajun food & music (never been that way before).

The we will slowly work our way east, with possible stops at Topsail Hill Park in Destin (a great spot, been there before) and maybe check out Mystic Springs AS park near Pensacola.

From there we will spend a few weeks in Florida - not sure where - usually we head for the Gulf coast around Sarasota/Venice, but this year I need to go to Titusville to maybe pick up a new banjo from a place that makes them there!

May try to take a short mini-cruise from nearby Port Canaveral if there are any good last minute deals of offer!

On our way home, we plan a stop at Charleston - we have done Savannah a couple of times and Charleston once & would highly recommend either or both!

I'm getting antsy to hit the road now! We only got our AS a little over a year ago and have made one long trip with it - California last winter.

Our winter RV trips are usually to Arizona which we really like, but it makes a nice change to do the South East now and again!

Plan to be home around 01 April to sort out income taxes!

Happy trails - will look out for you in our travels!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:37 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Huntington , Vermont
Blue Ridge in March

Many Blue Ridge sites and visitor centers do not open until April, and then only gradually throughout the month. Traveling the Parkway during March can therefore be hit or miss, depending on elevation and past as well as current weather conditions. If the weather is good, and snow has melted, you will still not find many others up there -- but that could be good. The Parkway is grand, and made for an Airstream.
Keep the Park info phone number handy, 828-298-0398, to check for road closures and conditions if you go.
Here is a link to the NPS Blue Ridge site.

Have fun on your trip!
Bandit #14576 (WDCU/AIR)

http://www.RWChatelain-Woodturner.com
BDandTTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:48 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
I second BDandTTs on the info for the Parkway. It is PERFECT for an Airstream. The roads are winding but the speed limit is 45MPH. When I was young, my grandparents took me from Nelson, VA across into Tennessee in a SOB drive unit in mid-summer and was a spectacular trip. Plenty of sites but March seems a little early for everything to be open. We used to take day trips to Humpback Rock and Peaks of Otter...
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:10 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Hey Brian, that sounds like a great trip. I don't know of any sites to see in those areas. Get to see some interesting local things on the way by using Courtesy Parking instead of campgrounds. The locals can tell you of their own little claim to fame & might even go with you for added enjoyment

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:29 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Down the Shore , New Jersey
There is an Airstream park along the BlueRidge that is on our list to visit, but it doesn't open until May 1st. Highland Haven I think the site says it is located in Floyd County at about 3000 ft elevation. We have friends that live down around Roanoke, Va. and the weather can definitely go either way in March.

Rich
Old 01-25-2010, 08:47 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Valley Grande , Alabama
I second Savannah!!!

Savannah is truly a DESTINATION!! It was named the walking city.... with 23 of the original 24 town squares still there today. Can't get enough of that beautiful city. Read 'the book' before you go....
Old 01-25-2010, 09:08 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anniston , Alabama
Don't miss the Blue Angels Practice Session

Gulf State Park is a nice park. Be sure and drive over to Pensacola Naval Museum to see the Blue Angels Practice session. It's roughly a 30 to 40 minute drive from Gulf Shores. I believe they practice on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings. It will be the same routine they perform at their air shows. Also tour the museum after the show. It's very interesting.
Here is the site that will list the practice schedule:
National Naval Aviation Museum - Blue Angels Practices

As mentioned already, don't miss Savannah. It's a beautiful city.

"It is better to wear out than to rust out"......Wally Byam
happycamper2 is offline   Reply With Quote