Old 11-23-2009, 06:35 AM   #337
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Nice to hear you and sweet wifey are home safe and sound.

We will await the tales of your next great adventure.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:21 AM   #338
Rivet Master
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
, Last winter I forgot to blow out the kitchen sprayer and toilet line with expected results. This year, remembered.

The older I get, the more I am a believer in checklists!

I do a lot of little things in winterizing which may or may not be important. For example, after reading on this forum, now when I pump in the antifreeze, I very quickly open and close the valves leading to the (drained) HW tank to blow any water out of the short lines into the tank.

So after doing my winterizing this season, while everything is fresh in my mind, I developed yet another list - this one for airstream winterization.

Actually, the only problem we have had in winterizing the airstream was last winter (our first with the AS).

I didn't realize that the toilet had a rinse hose because the previous owner had tucked it away somehow in the back of the toilet. Accordingly I didn't get any antifreeze into it, with - as you say - expected results. New hose and crummy plastic sprayer - about $50! Its now on my list!

Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:37 AM   #339
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The thing we forgot that we remembered, as opposed to what we forgot that we still forget, was to turn off the furnace, so after getting it winterized it last night, it was heated at 38˚ last night and neither of us had the energy to walk down hill 150' to turn it off. Well, downhill isn't so bad, it's coming back that's hard. I noticed the remote temp monitor at about 9 pm—it works that far away. It's taught me 40˚ on the thermostat is really 38˚ if the thermometer is correct.

Checklists are great if you take the time to make them, and then remember where you put it. We had one someone gave us for packing up in the morning, but we had to keep adding things to it. But after a while, we were each other's checklist

I'd like to wash the Safari and use the spray-on wax, but that seems like low priority right now. There's a month worth of mail waiting at the post office.

Ron, glad to hear you like apple cider. If you like pulp in OJ, try the unfiltered apple cider. Harder to find though. Now, how about the Dos X's? I guess we won't see you here in 2010 unless you take a short 4,000 mile detour on a NE trip. We had allergy problems off and on during our trip—and since we've been home. Pretty minor, but annoying. Seems like the season keeps getting longer or maybe it's just my immune system going wacky.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:59 PM   #340
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
Great trip. I really, really enjoyed it all in the reading and pictures.

As to the California to Texas border trip: I flew out to San Diego last March where our son was stationed doing simulator training on the C130J at Miramar. While looking over maps it was pretty easy from Diego to the AZ border where a giant Air Force bombing range (Goldwater) keeps the rest of us away. And, to turn south later means some slow miles thru (as I recall) the Tohno O'odham lands. We bypassed and made a point to have a look at the giant airplane graveyard at Tucson; Davis-Monthan AFB. Stayed at the Copper Queen in Bisbee, had a VG meal (Cafe Roka), and then made the backroads to El Paso for a late lunch at H & H Carwash (yes, it is; famous, too), and on for the night at The Maverick Inn and another VG dinner at Texas Fusion.

Davis Mountains deserves at least two of your days, IMO. After this is when we made the rest of the border trip to Del Rio (lunch at Don Marcellino) and across the backroad to the backroads (Texas FM 624) to Corpus Christi. I know you'll enjoy the Big Bend area. Be sure to look up the lives of Hallie Stilwell, Joaquin Miller, Herbert Kokernot, Jr; among others.

There is no end of interest to the Davis Mountain and Big Bend area.

Glad your trip was good, the animals safe in the barn, and look forward to whatever other trips you care to post.

1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote