Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2009, 09:34 PM   #321
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
More:

1. Shore birds; looking south along the beach.

2. Bird waiting on a dune.

3. Crab on the sand.

4. View from the Visitor Center.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010007.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	91178   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010008.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	478.4 KB
ID:	91179  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010009.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	888.9 KB
ID:	91180   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010010.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	265.1 KB
ID:	91181  

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:59 PM   #322
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Today we entered the West. The creeks were dry and the vegetation looked familiar. There were many cotton fields and they are still harvesting here. The towns started to look like the Last Picture Show and were farther and farther apart. Oil and gas wells became common and sometimes the petroleum smell was overwhelming.

When we reached Lubbock, we stopped at a Flying J. It was the only truck stop around and we pulled up to a gas pump. This one worked and worked so well it didn't want to stop pumping—the automatic shut off didn't work. We also noticed the restaurant was closed. There's an attempt to merge Flying J and Pilot, but is being held up because it may create a monopoly. It's apparent FJ is not able to maintain it's facilities, and may have not been able to get credit as many small cap companies can't. We keep saying we're done with FJ, but sometimes they're just there.

We made it to Fort Sumner, NM, and it's getting colder—30˚ at 9:30 pm and supposed to go down to 23˚ tonight. That's a 60˚ drop in less than 48 hours for us and the furnace is running for the first time in weeks. There's also a busy railroad very close. This is Valley View CG, pretty basic in looks, but it does have wifi and is supposed to have cable, but it doesn't work. We're getting a good HD picture from the local PBS station with a couple of interesting programs on the Great Depression. $20 to camp and the lowest we have seen in a long time except for the federal CG at Padre Is. The further west we go, the lower the prices are.

Mosquito bites (aren't they really "stings"?) keep showing up and this appears to be a particularly nasty Mosquito species. Usually when it's windy, as it was constantly at Padre Is., mosquitos disappear, but not these. They are blown to you. I killed about a dozen in the trailer, but not fast enough. I'm sure many people are used to this, but I'm not.

Tomorrow we go to Santa Fe for possibly 4 nights. We have reservations for a pull thru at Trailer Ranch. This will be the 3rd CG we've tried in Santa Fe. It's a 55+ CG and unfortunately we qualify. We'll meet Barb's parents who will be in NM for 2 days. We'll go see Barb's 100-year-old grandmother also. She's having a tougher time lately.

I've been looking at the Colorado weather and it's really cold there. A slight chance of snow at home and south central Colorado on Saturday, so we'll have to see how it develops and may leave Santa Fe on Friday, a day earlier.

Gene
Old 11-17-2009, 05:28 AM   #323
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Beautiful pictures, and Padre Island looks like an idyllic camping spot.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:14 AM   #324
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Re: Mosquitoes

The Coastal Bend region of Texas suffered the worst drought of the past 91-years in 2009. Until Labor Day . . after which 13" rain fell at our house in CC. The Island is particularly susceptible to thick clouds of them after such weather. This same region hosts several dozen species; the Carancahua Indians used thick layers of animal greases to protect themselves. The rest of us learn to use a box fan at floor level and an oscillating fan at head level. Etc.

Glad you enjoyed Mi Ti's. There may be better, but it is reliable and satisfying every meal we've eaten there the past half-century.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:26 AM   #325
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
mosquitos

Okay, this is very minor hijacking but an opportunity to share a little info. We found a soap at Herbaria that has citronella & marigold, is insect-repellent and effective to the point that we have tried it---against mosquitos. The real test will be those vicious no-see-ums in the Carolinas next March.

Natural Citronella & Marigold soap :: all natural handmade soap by Herbaria
Old 11-17-2009, 08:29 AM   #326
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Barb has wipes that are something like that, but I haven't used them. Maybe I'm stupid; she has one bite; me, one million.

Gene
Old 11-17-2009, 10:33 AM   #327
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I was covered with no-see-um bites in March, Doug just a few, they itched terribly. Sometimes the buggers like the smell/taste of certain soaps, I think. Effective prevention is worth its weight, IMHO. I will be well armed when we head south in January.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:25 PM   #328
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
We reached Santa Fe yesterday at 1 and came to Trailer Ranch. It's south of downtown on busy Cerillos Rd. We are about 100-150' from Cerillos and it's quiet. There are some pull thrus in the front near the office. The wifi here is excellent. Cable is not very good. We saw a Comcast truck yesterday, but they didn't fix the snowy cable problems, some channels very bad, others tolerable. Comcast has a terrible reputation, so no surprise. Internal roads are narrow, but this is in a city after all. Lots of mature trees. This is better than the last 2 CG's we stayed at in Santa Fe.

We went out for dinner at an Asian restaurant, Jinja, in a shopping center on Guadalupe. We've eaten there 2 or 3 times before, but I thought it wasn't quite as good this time. Sometimes they let experimentation with new recipes get the best of them. Then to watch the WW II series on History. Today Barb's parents arrived on their way home. We went to lunch at Zia and this was a lot better than the last time. Tomorrow we'll go to breakfast at Zia as we remember the huevos rancheros are really good there. Zia is a very well decorated "diner" on Guadalupe with some lamps that are amazing art deco influenced art works. It is not in a diner building, but the interior has some influences of diner style. After that we walked around that area and then to the Plaza. Pretty quiet in Santa Fe right now. Parking is actually possible.

Then we went to dinner at Tomesitas (guess where?—Guadalupe) with the in-laws. I did not care for this restaurant in the '90's, but thought it improved significantly in the "oughts", but we hadn't been there in about 3 years. Now we think it's not nearly as good as it was. The waitress was an unhappy looking sort of person.

Lest you think all we do is eat, we also shop for food. We went to Trader Joe's yesterday, probably will hit Whole Foods before we leave. To my mind, Whole Foods is the Walmart of health food stores, but they got stuff we need.

It seems like we've been to everything in Santa Fe we are interested in having been coming here for 21 years. We now seem to come here to buy food we can't get near home. Trader Joe's especially has some good stuff for trailer dining that will keep for a long time.

Feeling kind of road weary and we talked yesterday about how we would feel driving to Alaska. We've done it twice, but with a trailer, it's harder. Still working that one out. The big number is 3,500. Miles from home to Fairbanks. Without a trailer, we have done it in a week. We have to stop and stay somewhere for more days and take more time or it is a job. At least we haven't gotten road fever this time—that's road weary with psychosis added.

Gene
Old 11-20-2009, 06:17 PM   #329
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
We've been in Santa Fe for 3 1/2 days and I'm convinced something has happened here—meth in the water maybe? The drivers are crazed and they won't give anyone a chance to get on a road or change lanes. In the markets, they drive the same way with their shopping carts—not as bad as we've seen in South Florida where the the seniors will run you down with their carts, but it's a tough world here. Maybe the growth of the area has reached a critical point where everyone is angry. We saw this in Denver in the '90's as that city started to change from fast growth and the roads reached capacity.

We had breakfast at Zia's yesterday and the huevos were very good, the waiter was attentive and a better experience than lunch the day before. Barb later ate leftovers from Tomasitas and felt bad afterward—the more we think about it, that restaurant has really gone downhill. We went to Albuquerque to see Barb's grandmother—alert, making jokes, but showing her age (100). Today we did more food shopping at the zooey Whole Foods with the worst speed bumps in the world. We also found a dinner plate to replace one I broke. We bought reproductions of Santa Fe RR china several years ago. It's called the Mimbreño pattern designed by America's 1st woman architect, Mary Colter, about 75 or so years ago. We ended up buying some other bowls and a serving plate we didn't get before. This pattern is beautiful and hard to resist. It's based on designs Indians created about 700 years ago and adapted by Colter. She designed a number of buildings at Grand Canyon's south rim and La Posada, a Harvey hotel in Winslow.

We have been thinking about Chinese food for weeks, but never stopped anywhere for it. Asian food, yes, but we just want some good old fashioned Chinese food. We'll try Yin Yang tonight.

The snow in the forecast for tomorrow has disappeared and tomorrow's trip home seems clear of weather problems. I'm not looking forward to unloading the trailer and winterizing, but am looking forward to being home.

Gene
Old 11-20-2009, 08:32 PM   #330
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Mary Colter is one one of our favorites, like the Green Brothers in Pasadena, she was given complete control of the entire design. We're going through Winslow tomorrow, thanks for reminding me to slow down and take a look at her work, rather than that tacky statue, "standin' on the corner".
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:08 PM   #331
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
We've been in Santa Fe for 3 1/2 days and I'm convinced something has happened here—meth in the water maybe? The drivers are crazed and they won't give anyone a chance to get on a road or change lanes. In the markets, they drive the same way with their shopping carts—not as bad as we've seen in South Florida where the the seniors will run you down with their carts, but it's a tough world here. Maybe the growth of the area has reached a critical point where everyone is angry. We saw this in Denver in the '90's as that city started to change from fast growth and the roads reached capacity.
... Gene
You know you've lived in the country long enough when traffic in a town of ~62K gets on your nerves. (We now consider the 5K traffic in Taos to be rough.)

Lynn
Old 11-20-2009, 09:30 PM   #332
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Mike, be sure when you go to La Posada to walk down to the railroad tracks and look at the hotel from that side. It was designed to look like an hacienda and to be entered from the railroad, not the highway. It was bought by 3 people in the early '90's and is being slowly restored. The restaurant is the best in the area.

Speaking of design, in the past 10 or 15 years NM has been building bridges, retaining walls and noise walls, and other roadside items with decoration reflecting local, regional and state features, animals, and traditional designs. There was a time when decorated highways and bridges were common all over the country and much good work was done by the WPA, but in later years everything was done very functionally without an appreciation for art.

Our dinner at Yin Yang was ok (we both gave it a B-), but we have done better. The best part were the onion pancakes, an appetizer we don't see very often. There are, according to Trip Advisor, 327 restaurants in Santa Fe and surely we can find better ones next time. This may not be a town for Chinese food.

Then there's Santa Fe Style—howling coyotes, squash blossom jewelry, turquoise, fake adobe items, silver, etc. We used to see a lot of women dressed in SFS, but now we only see older ones dressed like that. Maybe SFS, which like most pop stuff gets overdone, is finally dying out.

Don't get me wrong, we like Santa Fe, but traffic and parking can be too much. There can be too much adobe after a while too.

Don't ever try to tow through the plaza area or much of the central part of the city. The roads are narrow and quirky. Go to a CG or stay on federal highways if towing. Trailer Ranch is fine, although the cable picture is not good at all, but it's Comcast. It's on Cerillos Rd., a very busy highway and difficult to cross but can be done. Most people here go to a left turn lane rather than trying to cross busy roads and do a U turn—that's not legal in a lot of places, but must be here because the cops don't stop people for it. Go off on a side road to turn around and who knows where it leads. This is a road "system" started 400 years ago and best for horses, wagons and walking.

Speaking of cops, there are a lot of police cars in Santa Fe. Is this a high crime place? We saw a Corvette that was a police car—must have been seized in a drug raid. I guess they liked it too much and didn't want to auction it, but it sure seems a waste of money.

This a city with a wealth of cultural activities, especially for its size. I think it's grown to around 70,000. Contrast it to Albuquerque, a city whose motto appears to be to grow, grow, grow, no matter what the consequences and it's easy to prefer Santa Fe.

Gene
Old 11-21-2009, 06:09 AM   #333
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Pictures? Where are the pictures?
Old 11-21-2009, 06:57 AM   #334
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
We're off to Datil this morning, out I-40 east to Holbrook, down 180 and across NM 60,one of our favorite drives. It's windy here in Flag, but the wind is out of the west, giving us a nice push.

Datil, Pie Town, and Quemado*—*remote and beautiful:Southern New Mexico Travel and Tourism Information

National Radio Astronomy Observatory (NRAO): Look Deeper
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:54 PM   #335
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Sorry, no pictures of Santa Fe. We've been there so many times—twice this year—we had no impetus to take photos.

Home at last! On the way back, we stopped at the Blue Mesa dam to change drivers, open the fresh water tank valve to make sure it drained by the time we got home, and use the pit toilet. What a drag, not being able to use the Safari bathroom. We flushed and flushed too many times getting it ready for winter while still in Santa Fe.

Just as we were about to leave, a guy pulls up and comes over to ask us about Airstreams. We were trying to get home before dark, pretty much hopeless by that time, but we had one last chance on the road to talk about Airstreams. I took the chance to tell him about the Airforum and warned him about the addictive quality of it. He'd obviously been doing his homework and was trying to get as much info as possible.

Got home after dark, emptied the fridge and some of the 40 tons of stuff in the trailer and truck. We somehow managed to stay awake to watch all of SNL and then to bed in our giant house where we can get lost, have to walk a mile to the bathroom and otherwise feel like we have been set loose in a mansion after a month in a tincan.

Today after blissfully sleeping late, we unloaded tons more stuff and winterized. Last winter I forgot to blow out the kitchen sprayer and toilet line with expected results. This year, remembered. Antifreeze now fills traps, some in tanks and toilet to keep seals from drying out and filling the lines. We got everything out of the trailer that can possibly freeze and the Safari is about ready to hibernate. Still some stuff to take out tomorrow. Then change the oil and filter in the Tundra, grease it, check it over and the trip is over.

Already have been thinking about other trips—Alaska next spring, other trip ideas generating—Border trip from Cal. to Texas, Route 66 trip, NY-NE trip, Newfoundland. We ask ourselves how we keep going to Santa Fe—maybe we should move to the area? We can live anywhere, but should stay fairly near Barb's parents. There's an oversupply of houses in Santa Fe, so prices are manageable outside the city. I guess we could fit that in too. Maybe 2010 will have 2,000 days so we can do everything we want to. First, more improvements to the trailer. I'd love to replace the dinette table with a hardwood one. They had some hickory ones for sale cheap at JC, but they were scratched and would be difficult to restore. And there's always more things to personalize the trailer and more things to fix. And more remodeling on the house—for our pleasure or to sell. Maybe a 4,000 day 2010 is necessary. Now to take a shower in our giant shower—maybe I'll put a box in it to simulate a wheelwell just so I feel at home.

Gene
Old 11-22-2009, 08:01 PM   #336
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
Gene,

Glad to see that you're home, safe and sound. Thanks for taking the time to post your adventures on the forum. It was really great meeting you and Barb when you were in our area......wish you could have spent a bit more time. I can't remember having drank Apple Cider before, but I finished off the jug and have now decided that I like it.

I've just about completed planning our Northeastern adventure next year......not that I plan ahead......would you believe that I already have reservations for Prince Edward Island in July?

BTW, turns out that I've been suffering an allergy attack and not the flu....just had to find the right meds.....should have stuck to Jack Daniels!

Happy trails,
Ron

AIR # 22776
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:35 AM   #337
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Nice to hear you and sweet wifey are home safe and sound.

We will await the tales of your next great adventure.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:21 AM   #338
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
, Last winter I forgot to blow out the kitchen sprayer and toilet line with expected results. This year, remembered.
Gene

Gene,

The older I get, the more I am a believer in checklists!

I do a lot of little things in winterizing which may or may not be important. For example, after reading on this forum, now when I pump in the antifreeze, I very quickly open and close the valves leading to the (drained) HW tank to blow any water out of the short lines into the tank.

So after doing my winterizing this season, while everything is fresh in my mind, I developed yet another list - this one for airstream winterization.

Actually, the only problem we have had in winterizing the airstream was last winter (our first with the AS).

I didn't realize that the toilet had a rinse hose because the previous owner had tucked it away somehow in the back of the toilet. Accordingly I didn't get any antifreeze into it, with - as you say - expected results. New hose and crummy plastic sprayer - about $50! Its now on my list!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:37 AM   #339
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
The thing we forgot that we remembered, as opposed to what we forgot that we still forget, was to turn off the furnace, so after getting it winterized it last night, it was heated at 38˚ last night and neither of us had the energy to walk down hill 150' to turn it off. Well, downhill isn't so bad, it's coming back that's hard. I noticed the remote temp monitor at about 9 pm—it works that far away. It's taught me 40˚ on the thermostat is really 38˚ if the thermometer is correct.

Checklists are great if you take the time to make them, and then remember where you put it. We had one someone gave us for packing up in the morning, but we had to keep adding things to it. But after a while, we were each other's checklist

I'd like to wash the Safari and use the spray-on wax, but that seems like low priority right now. There's a month worth of mail waiting at the post office.

Ron, glad to hear you like apple cider. If you like pulp in OJ, try the unfiltered apple cider. Harder to find though. Now, how about the Dos X's? I guess we won't see you here in 2010 unless you take a short 4,000 mile detour on a NE trip. We had allergy problems off and on during our trip—and since we've been home. Pretty minor, but annoying. Seems like the season keeps getting longer or maybe it's just my immune system going wacky.

Gene
Old 11-23-2009, 03:59 PM   #340
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Great trip. I really, really enjoyed it all in the reading and pictures.

As to the California to Texas border trip: I flew out to San Diego last March where our son was stationed doing simulator training on the C130J at Miramar. While looking over maps it was pretty easy from Diego to the AZ border where a giant Air Force bombing range (Goldwater) keeps the rest of us away. And, to turn south later means some slow miles thru (as I recall) the Tohno O'odham lands. We bypassed and made a point to have a look at the giant airplane graveyard at Tucson; Davis-Monthan AFB. Stayed at the Copper Queen in Bisbee, had a VG meal (Cafe Roka), and then made the backroads to El Paso for a late lunch at H & H Carwash (yes, it is; famous, too), and on for the night at The Maverick Inn and another VG dinner at Texas Fusion.

Davis Mountains deserves at least two of your days, IMO. After this is when we made the rest of the border trip to Del Rio (lunch at Don Marcellino) and across the backroad to the backroads (Texas FM 624) to Corpus Christi. I know you'll enjoy the Big Bend area. Be sure to look up the lives of Hallie Stilwell, Joaquin Miller, Herbert Kokernot, Jr; among others.

There is no end of interest to the Davis Mountain and Big Bend area.

Glad your trip was good, the animals safe in the barn, and look forward to whatever other trips you care to post.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote