Old 10-23-2009, 01:41 AM   #239
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
We are at the Double J CG just south of Springfield and it's raining hard now. Had to do hookups in the dark, but slogged through it. We've covered about 1,200 miles in 2 3/4 days through some pretty awful driving conditions. The truck handles beautifully, the trailer follows. I will probably see windshield wipers in my sleep. Visibility has been poor, especially when a big truck passes and throws up spray.
Gene

Hi, Gene. What kind of hook-ups are you doing in the dark? On one nighters, I only connect my 30Amp cord and water hose. I ask for pull throughs so I don't have to un-hitch. I don't even drop my stabilizers or tongue jack, for quicker get aways. Sewer hose only as needed.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:26 AM   #240
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Bob and Evan, we'll be here two nights, so we need all hookups. I intend to ask Airstream to look for leaks everywhere. Not a lot of people here, so no ladders to borrow (plus I don't want to fix it right now). Looks like the rain has stopped. I think traveling at 60 or more forced water into a void in the sealant. It stopped raining overnight. We put a plastic garbage bag on the bed with a bath mat on top and it wasn't wet this morning. Probably water has been getting in for a long time, but never enough to leak out. This was two days of hard rain and 800 miles of driving fast.

Further comments on the Double J CG. I-55 on one side and a RR nearby. We came in late, turned on the TV and with the rain making noise, the road and RR didn't bother us, but if you had the windows or vents open, I think it would. They have cable, but only 9 channels and most of them we didn't want. The good news is the Yankees lost and the Dodgers have been eliminated.

Gene

Old 10-23-2009, 11:09 AM   #241
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Gene,

We didn't offer cg recommendations in the Springfield area, as you seem to have planning down to a fine science. However, should you pass that way again and want something quieter, there is an old KOA 7 miles off the Stevenson Drive exit down there. Fully grown trees, plenty of shade, well-maintained and very nice people who run it. It is a bit out of the way for sightseeing, but great if one doesn't mind the drive.

Leaks not actually being fixed seems to be a chronic issue at JC. I had an email this am from a couple we met and visited with last week, who paid their bill late yesterday and still had leaking with this mornings rain. There is a guy we have seen there twice this year who has had chronic, serious leaking at the seams for such a long time that he is now out of warranty---and is still leaking. He has spent weeks at a time at JC---we would have been out of patience with that long before now.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:11 PM   #242
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
doug&maggie, next time I'd pick the KOA. The difference between the 2 CG's was this one had cable TV, but not many channels, and most of them local anyway.

I think that to some extent leaks are impossible to entirely fix because sealants have to stretch to withstand the bumps of towing and temperature changes and the more they stretch, the sooner they break the seal. It's something that seems to me a chronic problem and requires constant maintenance, but I'm still on warranty and the sealant should last longer than 2 years.

Gene
Old 10-24-2009, 10:31 AM   #243
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I tired to post this yesterday, but the wifi was taxed out. One of the CG's where when everyone is trying to use the internet, there's not enough bandwidth. Sun's out today—nice to see it again after 4 days—

What do you come to Springfield for?—Lincoln! So the first place we went to the Dana Thomas House, a Frank Lloyd Wright house from the first years of the 20th Century. 12,000' of it. I've never seen so much Art Glass in one place. The glass was beautiful, but too much of it. If you are a fan of Wright's architecture, this is a definite one to see. Now we have gone to Falling Water and Taliesin West and all three share a lot of the same design principles.

Then we went to the Lincoln house. The NPS has 4 square blocks with the remaining houses of the era. The park ranger tour guide was a bit overbearing and kept repeating the same things, but it was worth it. Looks like Lincoln bought a middle class house and Mary Lincoln decorated it as an upper middle class house. Life then seems uncomfortable—the furniture is so formal, the lack of indoor plumbing, poor lighting and heating, no refrigeration, wood stoves in the simple kitchen. We live better in a trailer. They had a well in the backyard about 20' deep and the privy was about 35' away. I'm sure there were plenty of other outhouses in the neighborhood. Amazing they didn't all get typhoid.

Next to the Old State Capital building. You may have seen it on TV when Obama announced his candidacy or when he announced his pick for VP. It's an attractive stone building on the outside and outsized in the inside rotunda. It look like an early 19th Century capital building should. They replaced it with a Victorian capital building in the 1870's which is ugly.

Then on to his law office across the street. This building is in much need of restoration and nothing seems to be quite in the right place. It was interesting, but much unfinished.

All these Lincoln places were free, so that's a good day. We found free parking a block south of the NPS park. The Wright house tour was only $5, far, far less than Taliesin.

Next we have to find out if there's any RV parking near the Lincoln museum. I doubt it since we drove around and there appears to be none. We don't want to go in the morning and rush back to hitch up and get out before check out. There's also the Lincoln tomb. In the 19th Century they dug him up 2 or 3 times to make sure he was still there. There were rumors of grave robbers. Eventually they buried him under tons of concrete. There's probably a way to get him out, but I don't have time for that.

The leak hasn't come back, but if I press on the aluminum, drops of water come out of the seam. The insulation must be soaked. Three tours today is a lot after our 1,200 mile expedition. Some light rain driving back to the CG and the humidity is tough on us. Tomorrow we'll start east in the afternoon towards JC.

Gene
Old 10-24-2009, 06:01 PM   #244
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Gene. Your trip sounds really interesting so far; I can't wait to see the pictures.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 10-24-2009, 06:36 PM   #245
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
This morning we went to the Lincoln monument and burial site. It has some of most beautiful marble I've ever seen. Not much more to say about it. The museum in downtown Springfield says it has RV parking, but the gates were closed and no one was there to open them, so we drove on. Yesterday we forgot the camera; Barb took a few photos of the Lincoln burial monument.

On to Indianapolis. Lots of concrete bumpy interstate, some so bumpy you can't read a map. Covered about 220 miles today and it wasn't even dark when we got to the KOA just east of Indianapolis. If you have an older Woodall's, it isn't where they tell you—it's actually just south of Exit 96 on I-70.

We wanted to fill a propane tank this morning, but they charge a flat rate regardless of whether the tank is empty. It probably is, but I'd rather pay per gallon. Same thing at this CG. In the west we've always paid per gallon. We're hardly using any because we haven't used the furnace since we left Colorado. I got a small ceramic heater and that keeps the trailer plenty warm and the bedroom stays cool. I'd rather use their electricity than our propane.

Not much to say about the land—flat with many cornfields. The trees are changing so we've seen many colors—some are bare and some are still green, most are of various shades of brown, yellow and red. Lots of rivers and creeks and they are much bigger than in the west. As we've come east the towns change—while most of the west is not much more than 100 years old, the midwest is 200 years old. Lots more older brick and stone houses and Victorians. It's a whole different feel. Many streets are narrow. Since I grew up in the northeast, it feels more and more like home including the clouds, humidity and rain.

It's a short 160 miles to JC. We've slowed down and finally got to sleep a lot last night.

Gene
Old 10-24-2009, 07:01 PM   #246
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Propane scam

I hate when campgrounds pull that crap of charging by the size of the tank instead of what you actually use. One benefit to mobile web is you can search for services like propane and lowest fuel prices and walmarts.... well you get the idea. If you travel a lot, it is a handy thing to have.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:07 PM   #247
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
We are at the Terraport after an easy drive. We slept late and left at the crack of noon and got here at 4. Not too many here; 2 or 3 came in after us. We talked to a fulltimer, Bruce, for quite a while. The usual talk—complaining about QC and the company and how to improve our trailers. A sunny pleasant day in the 60's and it looks like the next 2 will be the same. We have planned our trip to Dayton tomorrow—pick up tires at Discount, go to Trader Joe's and then Macy's and eat lunch at P.F. Chang's, then back here. Heard there were a couple of damaged hickory dinette tables for sale cheap; we'll have to see how damaged they are.

They open at 7 (which is 5 to us still on Mountain Time) so we have to get up at 5 (3!). Since it can take an hour or more to get everything set up, we're going to have to eat first. The only place we know of for breakfast (Hobo's) in JC is not exactly too good. Our list on the QC Tour keeps getting longer. One of the rubber grommets for the stove top (the part over the burners) has disappeared again. I found water in a compartment under the streetside dinette seat and either it is a leak or a gallon jug of water leaked, but we couldn't find a leak in the jug. There is a small water track on the inner skin. There's a lot more on the list too.

Gene
Old 10-25-2009, 09:23 PM   #248
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Hi Gene,

I think the rubber Grommets on the stove are just useless junk. Poor design & guaranteed to fail after a while even if you get replacements.

I replaced them with my own version from a few Home Depot Parts. The result has been much better. I'd be pleased to post a picture of them if you're interested.

-evan
Old 10-25-2009, 09:29 PM   #249
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Evan, since the warranty has a few more days, they can replace it. I'm sure I'll be buying some grommets in the near future, maybe slightly oversized to insure they stay in. Maybe a dab of glue will keep them in place, though we've had them fall apart too—super cheap rubber. The stove company buys cheap stuff too.

Gene
Old 10-25-2009, 09:38 PM   #250
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Stove top grommets.

Hi, the stove top grommets will fall inside of the burner area if you don't lift the grates straight up while cleaning the top of your stove. And if you don't line up the grates with the grommets during re-assembly. To get them back, remove grates, lift the top of burner plate from the front edge, and let the rear hinge backwards. In the rear, one hinge pin is straight and the other is slotted for removal, but you don't have to remove it completely.

Evan, please post pictures of you stove top grommet replacements.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 10-25-2009, 10:14 PM   #251
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
Nice Travelogue

Gene,

Thanks for keeping us up-to-date......entertaining, as always. I may be a bit biased, but since you are going to Dayton anyway......stop at the Air Force Museum (Wright-Patterson AFB). It used to be the #1 tourist attraction in Ohio. You will spend a lot more time there than you think.

Safe travels....hope to meet you guys as you travel through NW FL.

Ron

AIR # 22776
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:28 AM   #252
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, the stove top grommets will fall inside of the burner area if you don't lift the grates straight up while cleaning the top of your stove. And if you don't line up the grates with the grommets during re-assembly. To get them back, remove grates, lift the top of burner plate from the front edge, and let the rear hinge backwards. In the rear, one hinge pin is straight and the other is slotted for removal, but you don't have to remove it completely.

Evan, please post pictures of you stove top grommet replacements.
Will do Robert. My unit is in storage 30 mins away so it may not happen for a week yet but I will post some shots of this.

The Grommets I bought are heavy rubber plugs with a shoulder of rubber at one end and a brass nut incorporated into the end of the plug at the other. I put a small screw & washer in the brass nut end to allow for an adjustable height & to isolate the brass a bit more from any heat in the grate. The grate ends fit in nicely & are supported more definitively than with the stock grommets.

Anyways, I'll shutup now as the pictures would be far more useful.

-evan