Old 05-22-2009, 01:16 PM   #127
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sounds like you have had a great trip, albeit mileage-heavy. Always good to be home.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:17 PM   #128
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Lynn, we usually go to Santa Fe off season and probably should be planning ahead since it'll be July this time. Last time we stayed in SF it was at an much older campground just north of I-25 with sites very narrow and piņon trees ready to scratch a trailer (I can show you the scratch). When we got there it was dark and we had trouble finding the site. They claimed a movie had been made there eons ago, maybe with John Wayne. We had agreed to try one of the ones south of I-25 the next time. I don't remember the names of anything now.

Gene

Old 05-22-2009, 02:21 PM   #129
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
There is a pretty good campground right next to the KOA in Santa Fe; the KOA is junk. The KOA in Las Vegas
has great food!
Old 05-22-2009, 03:43 PM   #130
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I think that one south of I25 is Santa Fe Skies. It's presumably pretty nice. (We were going to stay there on our return trip from our last vacation -- until the Airstream decided to lose all power, and we drove home instead. Long story; my fault.) I've also heard good things about the KOA and about Trailer Ranch, which is also right on Cerrillos closer to the plaza.

But I haven't stayed at any of them. There is a slight advantage to living within driving distance. Sort of.

Lynn
Old 05-22-2009, 04:00 PM   #131
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post

But I haven't stayed at any of them.

Lynn
Still can. Not too far for your powerless, axle needing trailer. Or bring the MG and a tent. People want to know!

Gene
Old 05-22-2009, 04:16 PM   #132
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Ha!

Actually, the new axles arrived the night before last about an hour after a new window arrived as well. I hope to be able to work on both in the coming week, assuming that the current insanity (lots and lots of mountain bikers in tents and pop-ups) abates a little.

A couple of friends from the DenCo unit are going to try to come down this weekend, too. Maybe I'll get them to help me move the new axles to a somewhat more accommodating location.

Lynn
Old 05-22-2009, 04:47 PM   #133
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Lynn,

Maybe I'll be lucky and the axles will be installed before I get there. I was going to start mowing the cheat grass and bind weed, but delayed long enough that the next round of T-storms are coming back. Maybe I'll waste an hour checking on Santa Fe campgrounds.

Gene
Old 05-22-2009, 05:42 PM   #134
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Gene,

It was great following each episode of your trip.

Now that you have obviously shown a great affinity for immersing yourself into the "eh" culture of the "Great White North" it is only fitting that you be given the privilege of viewing some of our sacred teachings:

YouTube - Bob & Doug MacKenzie 24 Anniversary

Bob and Doug MacKenzie are well known to folks of my vintage - they are treated with a kind of reverance - heroes really - but there is considerable debate whether they were actually the origin of "eh" - or simply took an existing slang expression to new and inappropriate levels .... regardless - it is a linguisitc quirk that has stood the test of time - is still going strong .... and is an incredible irritant when any (every) U.S. campground attendant queries ".... and where in Canada do you live ...... EH!".

By the way .... Manitoba roads aren't bad ..... they are just designated as "heritage" highways .....

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:12 PM   #135
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Jay, the MacKenzies sure seem to be hosers. That's a word I've wondered about. Sometimes I stumble on Red Green on PBS which helps me keep up on what's really happening in Canada between trips.

I think I convinced Barb to take the trailer to Newfoundland (more heritage highways), but the price is a trip to Hawaii for her birthday first. This means me getting arrested at each airport after I try to explain about my constitutional rights and unreasonable searches.

Gene
Old 05-22-2009, 07:01 PM   #136
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Lynn,

Maybe I'll be lucky and the axles will be installed before I get there. I was going to start mowing the cheat grass and bind weed, but delayed long enough that the next round of T-storms are coming back. Maybe I'll waste an hour checking on Santa Fe campgrounds.

Gene
I sure hope so! We want to be able to blow this place for a couple of days at the drop of a hat if conditions are just right with reservations! (And if conditions are not right, we may be able to bribe some of our friends to take care of the place, and we'll take off anyway!)

Lynn
Old 05-23-2009, 01:46 PM   #137
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Flying Cloud
Lone Jack , Missouri
Quote:
This means me getting arrested at each airport after I try to explain about my constitutional rights and unreasonable searches.

Gene

Funny, you should mention this Gene. On a recent short visit to Tampa, an individual whom knew his rights (in a very loud voice) refused to let the Kansas City TSA folks open his carry on bag. Apparently, the bag was locked and the xray could not discern the contents.

There were several minutes of "do you know who I am?" and "I'll have your job for this", whereupon he was whisked away by the staff w/ his feet about 4" off the ground! The crowd cheered as did I. I don't know if he was charged but he did not get on that flight to Tampa. Tee hee!

Airports are not boring if one is easily entertained and knows what to look for. That is travel at its finest!
Pop.528

"You better learn it fast; you better learn it young"-John Fogerty
Larry in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:53 PM   #138
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Ahhh, I could launch into a lively discussion of the history of the 4th Amendment, the writs available to the king, the general warrant and it's widespread use by George III in Massachusetts, and the distaste of the colonists for searches without a specific and narrowly focused warrant signed by a judge as is required constitutionally, but I won't, or even discuss whether the accused was manhandled inappropriately, although I am sure Larry and I could go at for a while. I do know that the worst thing you can say is: "do you know who I am?"; it's sort of like having a "Question Authority" bumper sticker and speeding though a speed trap while giving the local cop the finger.

So I thought I could mow some grass before the thunderstorms came, but 3 tires on the mower were flat, the battery was dead and it needs gas. Tires have lost air before, though not so fast, battery has always been good, and gas seems to be needed just when I least expect it. Battery on charger, me to lunch; go to town later with gas cans and maybe get Chinese take out. Another day in the boonies.

Gene
Old 05-23-2009, 04:07 PM   #139
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Ahhh, I could launch into a lively discussion of the history of the 4th Amendment, the writs available to the king, the general warrant and it's widespread use by George III in Massachusetts, and the distaste of the colonists for searches without a specific and narrowly focused warrant signed by a judge as is required constitutionally, but I won't, or even discuss whether the accused was manhandled inappropriately, although I am sure Larry and I could go at for a while. I do know that the worst thing you can say is: "do you know who I am?"
But then, Mr. "do you know who I am" may have been a high official in the Obamadministration, in which case the TSA functionnaires may find themselves on the way to Guantanamo. . .
Old 05-29-2009, 06:00 PM   #140
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
After viewing this idea on a post on a thread several months back and mulling it over for a while, we ordered a cabinet to place under the TV on the sofa. One seat cushion will be removed, the long, vertical one will be supported with something, and the cabinet will fill part of the space. The cabinet, actually a small bookcase, will have the microwave on the top shelf and a printer on the bottom. I found a Brother b&w laser jet for about $125 and it's only 6 1/2' high. The microwave is 10 1/4" so they should both fit in a standard 24" case. The other dimensions are 24" wide and 16" deep. I'll put cleats on the front each shelf to keep these items from bouncing out and use that sticky stuff that goes on shelves, under rugs, etc., to keep them in place. They'll be some space next to them for storage for something else.

Between the TV wall and the case will be about 9", a great place for that Airstream "bag" with all the information on everything we all get when we buy a trailer. It just doesn't go anywhere else that doesn't get in the way or make it so hard to get, I would never even look for it. There will be space for another container which can be used for books, newspapers, magazines and travel info. This stuff is generally all over the place. I can screw a powerstrip to the back of the case for the printer, microwave and TV. I'll thread a USB2 cable from the printer, under the cushions, to the dinette table so I can plug it into the laptop.

This solves several problems: The microwave clutters the little bit of counter space. They'll be less need for raise the shelf at the end of the peninsula, and that means the space to walk back and forth will be be bigger. There's no place for a printer except the table and no place to easily store it and want to use it. Storage for books, etc., is limited, and the Airstream bag never has fit well anywhere.

It'll take time to get used to it and for a while the cabin will seem smaller. I ordered it from a unpainted furniture place and hope to match the color of the partitions which, unfortunately, look like contact paper. I thought about the bookcases and cabinets found in office supply stores, but they are usually some sort of particleboard or fiberboard and heaver than pine. Oak looks better than pine, but is also heavy.

I hope to get the cabinet/bookcase in less than 2 weeks and can't wait to install it. Three or four screws to the plywood underneath will secure it.

I've been trying to remember who did this before. It's not my idea and I don't want to take credit for it. It probably is someone with a FB, and if I recall correctly.

Gene