Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2009, 06:38 PM   #81
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
Sneaky Jets

Gene,

You're right about those fast-movers coming up from behind....bad guys don't stand a chance!

I'm not sure that I could ever get aclimated to the dry high-desert.....we're actually missing humidity.....now, I might eat those words in a couple of months.

Just a few more days on the road....should be home by Sunday.

Chief

AIR # 22776
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:42 PM   #82
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Day 26

Day 26, and I wish that I could say something nice about Carlsbad, NM…….but, I can’t. Now, I understand what my brother-in-law meant when he said that “he spent a whole month here one day.” If you like dry, dusty, dirty and roads in terrible condition….this is the place for you. I had previously made reservations with the Carlsbad RV Park based on reviews….it had received the most favorable. When I get home, there will be at least one that is not favorable…..gravel/dirt dusty drive-thrus, wifi that can only be accessed at the office, questionable power, sewer caps that are a foot off the ground, etc., etc…..Wal-Mart from the previous night seems like a resort. They do have a row of tent campsites, and a group of four girls (most of the time in bikinis) from New York (camped directly behind us) have been most entertaining……especially last night when we had a wind/sand storm blow through. It appears that they have just about finished off their second 12-pack of Bud Light, so this evening should also be entertaining.

Today’s short trip to the Caverns was nice. I remember the Carlsbad Caverns from my grammar school studies, and they did live up to their billing…..spectacular….but, I wouldn’t plan a trip to this area just to view them. You have a choice of walking down the natural entrance, or riding an express elevator the 73 stories into the main cavern (which do you think we chose). The Big Room self-guided tour is 1.25 miles of paved trail with guard rails. The Big Room really is BIG…..supposedly you could fit 14 football fields inside. We really enjoyed the tour at a comfortable 56 degrees. Of course, as with most caves, pictures just don’t turn out very well.

I just remembered something nice I can say about Carlsbad…..we’re leaving tomorrow!
Woo-Hoo! Next stop is San Antonio, TX.

Chief

Pic #1: Carlsbad Caverns Entrance
Pic #2: Campsite in the dirt...but, we did have a tree
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3075_1.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	437.0 KB
ID:	81488   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3102_1.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	446.7 KB
ID:	81489  

AIR # 22776
Old 06-03-2009, 07:43 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
We were in Santa Fe for several days in 2007 and contemplated a day trip to Carlsbad. Decided against it as it seemed a little far for a one day knowing we would be late coming back. I was there as a child and agree the caverns are beautiful. Sounds like you are glad to be heading home. What route are you taking back?
Old 06-05-2009, 08:50 PM   #84
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Days 27 & 28

Day 27 was somewhat tiring…….450 miles, and a workout at a do-it-yourself car wash to get all the dust and dirt off the vehicles. By the time we arrived in San Antonio (Alamo KOA), our rear ends were dragging and it was time to crash for the night.

Day 28, our last day of fun for this trip, was fantastic! We slept in a little late, and after a leisurely breakfast, caught the city bus for downtown (Riverwalk). The bus is a great deal…$1.10 for Jenn, and $.25 for us old people (free on weekends). The bus ride explained why the KOA has substantial fences, electronic gates, and visible night time security…..it’s located in the not-so-nice part of town…..we stood out like “sore thumbs” on the bus, but I figured “what-the-hell”…..we’re committed now. I will say the KOA is really a nice campground…..lots of big trees, large sites, and all the amenities…..I would stay here again, but might not venture out at night.

Riverwalk is a really great place to visit in San Antonio…..lush landscaping and many restaurants to choose from. We toured the Alamo (of course), did the river boat cruise (they pack too many people on the boats), and tried to see as many sites as possible. The highlight of the day was our meal at the Saltgrass Steak House…..best we have had this entire trip. Everything was perfect….location overlooking the river, the service, fresh bread, salads and steaks to die for! Normally, touristy places never live up to the hype and the food usually disappoints…..not this one….wish we had one of these close to home. We decided to take the bus back to the KOA….figured we didn’t get mugged on the trip out, and it was still daylight! We capped the day with a relaxing swim in the pool, and an adult beverage. This has truly been a fitting day to finish off our month-long trip.

Tomorrow, we start the 750 mile journey home on I-10…..with just a quick overnite stop along the way. I will admit that it will be nice to get home to a larger living room, sofa, bigger bed, etc., etc., etc. But, I must also admit that this has been a great adventure.

Chief

Pic #1: Our KOA camp site
Pic #2: A poor neglected AS two sites from us….pic does not show all the dents
Pic #3: The Riverwalk Cruise….packed like sardines
Pic #4: Restaurants along Riverwalk
Pic #5: The Alamo
Pic #6: “THE” place to eat at Riverwalk….Saltgrass Steak House
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_3106_1.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	611.0 KB
ID:	81714   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3107_1.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	396.6 KB
ID:	81715  

Name:	100_3123_1.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	526.3 KB
ID:	81716   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3128_1.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	548.2 KB
ID:	81717  

Name:	100_3135_1.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	470.8 KB
ID:	81718   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3151_1.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	594.2 KB
ID:	81719  

AIR # 22776
Old 06-05-2009, 09:30 PM   #85
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Chief, if you want boring, try Roswell to Tucumcari. Driving across the Staked Plains feels like you're driving the same mile over and over. .....
Gene
My dirty secret (well okay, one of them, and one of the nicer ones) is that I LIKE driving in the barren areas of east NM. The landscape sort of speaks to me I guess. Hwy 13 - a cut off from nowhere to nowhere else- is a new favorite of mine from the current trip.

Chief, I hate to see your trip drawing to a close. Be safe on that last leg, remember that chunk of aluminum behind you has beds if you need them. Don't push to hard.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:57 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Have enjoyed following your trip---we have been to many of your stops, learned of new places to go next trip west. Travel safe.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:20 AM   #87
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The only time I've been to the Riverwalk was in the mid-1950's. It looks a bit more developed now. Barb has been after me for years to see San Antonio, Austin and Corpus Christi, and I've resisted. Maybe I'll give in after seeing your photos though the sardine boat seemed unappealing.

I understand your desire to get home, but I have enjoyed following you around and seeing places familiar to me again. We did the same thing—stepped up the pace the last few days and tried to get home midday so we had some energy to unpack. Where to next? Is another long trip coming up this year?

As for Rodney's attraction to the Staked Plains (Llanos Estacados), well I knew you were strange.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:28 AM   #88
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
...The only time I've been to the Riverwalk was in the mid-1950's. It looks a bit more developed now. Barb has been after me for years to see San Antonio, Austin and Corpus Christi, and I've resisted. Maybe I'll give in after seeing your photos though the sardine boat seemed unappealing.
...Gene
It's changed a LOT. When we moved to Austin decades ago, the population was 110K. It was a neat town. Now it's over a million. Whenever I go back (like this week again), I just become very depressed.

Lynn
Old 06-06-2009, 11:08 PM   #89
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:

As for Rodney's attraction to the Staked Plains (Llanos Estacados), well I knew you were strange.

Gene
I bet Larry Mc Murtry is with me though

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:29 PM   #90
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Future Trips

Gene,

To answer your question about future trips.....yes, we have one on the books for just about every month except Sep & Oct (hurricane months). It's kinda hard to think about the next one today.....having just gotten home.....but, we will be traveling to Titusville, FL for the July 4th weekend (visiting Sis who lives in one of those fancy gated RV parks). Late Jul-Aug is Nashville, TN and late Aug/early Sep is local state parks. One of the perks of living in FL is that, once you reach 65.....all state parks are half-price. Our next big trip is to Key West for Christmas/New Year's.....we were there last New Year's and it is a blast!

Hope our paths cross someday.

Chief

AIR # 22776
Old 06-07-2009, 08:32 PM   #91
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Days 29 & 30 with final thoughts

We’re home!!!! The closer we got, the more we wanted to get here…..so, I did the whole last leg of 750 miles, with only a couple of quick naps……arrived at 4:30 AM. In the words of Crawford Gene….”I never realized that we lived in such a wonderfully large mansion!” Sure is nice to stretch out on the couch with the big screen TV, and take a long hot shower without bumping into something……makes us appreciate all the things we took for granted before spending a month in the aluminum cocoon.

The trip covered 5,350 miles, about 800 of which was sightseeing with the TV only, and averaged 11 mpg. Still haven’t added up the costs, but I think my estimate of fuel expense was probably pretty close…..Vegas may have put us over the estimated miscellaneous expenses. Since I had made reservations before we departed, our average camping costs were just over $23.00 per day.

So, what did we gain from this trip?? We learned that you have a tendency to pack too many clothes, even when it’s for four seasons…..but, the dirty laundry stacks up quickly. We learned that Murphy’s Law is ever-present in the RV world, and a well-equipped tool bag is a necessity. We learned that you meet some of the nicest people on the road, e.g. the nice Scottish couple, who invited us to their place (the husband works for a well-known Scotch distillery)…..the young Coast Guard couple transferring from Florida to California and traveling via rented RV…..and, who could forget our four young girls from New York, who were doing a 2 ½ week tent-camping trip, celebrating graduation and life in general. We learned (again) just how beautiful, and rich, our land really is…..even when we may not have liked the environ, the beauty still came through. We learned that, after almost 30 years of marriage, we can co-exist in less than 200 sq. ft. of space without getting on each other’s nerves. We also learned that the old axiom “There’s no place like home” is so true.

Hope everyone who traveled vicariously with us enjoyed the trip…..we had a fantastic adventure! Until next time……..

Chief

Final Pic: Jenn pointing to the place (on our updated travel map) she likes best …..Home!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_3163_1.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	268.1 KB
ID:	81848  

AIR # 22776
Old 06-08-2009, 05:01 AM   #92
Rivet Master

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Panama City Beach , Florida
Ron and Jenn, we're glad you had a great trip and thanks for sharing your adventure as you went. Looking forward to seeing pics at some point in the future.
AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Luckyducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:55 AM   #93
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Great to travel, always nice to get home.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:06 AM   #94
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
Sounds like you had a great trip. The philosophical comments were a nice close for those of us that had to travel vicariously.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:07 AM   #95
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
I enjoyed traveling with you. Where did you get the great map?
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:51 AM   #96
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Greg & Pat, Russ & Linda: Thanks....the only thing that could have made the trip better is if you guys had been with us....hope to see you soon.

doug & maggie: Thanks.....BTW, you live in a great state....our son-in-law is from Colchester.

tksbaskets: The map is a Camping World product.....actually, not bad quality.

Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
I enjoyed traveling with you. Where did you get the great map?

AIR # 22776
Old 06-08-2009, 08:32 AM   #97
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I think we had too many clothes too, but never enough tools. We too have learned how to live in such close quarters without too much friction—and friction is usually caused by too many miles and being flat out tired, not by trying to occupy the same space between the sink and the refrigerator, or deciding who gets to walk through that corridor first. Being locked together in 2 tin cans (trailer and truck) for 4 weeks affirms our marriage and how much we belong together. And it sure is nice to take that shower at our stationary residence and let the water run continuously.

Reading about your trip and those of moosetags, Rodney and others shows that for all our differences, we are more alike than we sometimes realize and all travel in many of the same ways. So thanks for sharing your adventure.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:46 AM   #98
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Whew! I am worn out just from following you guys!!! Glad you made it home OK...talk to ya soon.

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:28 PM   #99
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We are also one of those 24-hour-together-most-days couples, who just plain enjoy being together and experience very little irritation and friction----one of those wonderful by-products of being a) highly compatible and b) together a very long time. We did find, however, that retirement travel in a 22' Interstate brought a whole new level of understanding and knowledge of each other. We're all very, very fortunate to have life partners to live our dreams with. Life is good.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:17 PM   #100
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Thanks for sharing your trip with us, Chief. I have thoroughly enjoyed every mile. Glad you and the missus made it home safe and sound. I can relate to the joy of being home after a long trip away, but still chomping at the bit to be out on the road for the next one.

Keep us informed on the departure times for that trip to the Keys, my wife and I are both certified divers and have enjoyed diving in Pennekamp and other nearby dive sites from Plantation Key over the past 20 years...and every diving trip included a drive down to Key West for a little taste of Margaritaville.

Enjoy home base 'till the next trip!
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote