Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2009, 10:34 PM   #61
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
Days 17 & 18

The drive from Bryce to Zion was a short 85 miles…..but, the last portion on the Zion-Mt. Carmel Hwy (Hwy 9) will challenge anyone pulling, or driving an RV. There are six of the hairiest switchbacks that you will find……I was fully expecting to be reading the license plate on the trailer at any moment. The other interesting thing is the tunnels….first one is ordinary…..second is unbelievable. One mile long and built in the 1920’s, when cars were a lot smaller, the park requires any vehicle over 7’10” wide to pay a $15 fee. When you approach the end of the tunnel, the rangers stop traffic from entering the opposite end and you drive down the centerline. The tunnel also has something else that you won’t find often, if ever…..huge windows (openings) in the side to view the canyon outside…..the driver probably won’t enjoy them very much, as he/she will be concentrating on driving down the darkened center of the road. I enjoyed the drive, but not enough to do it again.

We arrived at the Watchman Campground (Nat’l Park Svc) a little after lunch. The temp change from 41 degrees at Bryce to 86 degrees at Zion was quite dramatic. The park was very busy, as it was the last day of the long Memorial Day weekend. We spent the afternoon orienting ourselves by riding the propane-powered shuttle (you can’t drive a private vehicle inside most of the park). Our campsite is only about 200 yards from the park entrance/visitor center, and the shuttles are wonderful…..running about every 8-10 mins, until 11:00 PM, with stops at most of the scenic areas and trailheads. Returning to the Airstream, we burnt a couple of steaks, and then headed out for the 9:30 PM ranger presentation at the outdoor amphitheater…..very informative lecture on the park and animals.

Day 18 was our hiking day…….my feet and ankles can attest to that. Zion could be our favorite of the Western parks that we have visited. There are hiking trails for all levels. The first one we did was the two-mile Riverwalk along the Virgin River….paved, easy elevation change, and simply gorgeous views of the canyon walls. Second was steep, but short, to Weeping Rocks. Third was the one that did me in…..Hidden Canyon Trail. The warning stated steep, strenuous, not for anyone fearful of heights. We only made it about a mile up the continuous series of switchbacks before I decided that we had had enough fun for the day…..time to go down, which was almost as painful as going up…..tonight will be a two Tylenol night. For all you daredevils reading this….the Angels Landing hike is for you. A portion of the trail, if you can call it that, goes over a 3.5 ft. ledge…..1,200 ft. drop on one side, 900 ft. on the other. Not enough money in this world to get me across that one.

Next stop is Vegas……and full hookups! Yeah!!!!!!!

Chief

Pic #1: Our campsite at Watchman….surrounded by mountains
Pic #2: Riverwalk Hiking Trail
Pic #3: Jenn on the Riverwalk Trail
Pic #4: Scenery along Riverwalk Trail
Pic #5: View from the point of return on the Hidden Valley hike….can you make out the road below
Pic #6: Zion Park Shuttle
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2797_1.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	548.8 KB
ID:	81002   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2819_1.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	636.5 KB
ID:	81003  

Name:	100_2833_1.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	597.5 KB
ID:	81004   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2846_1.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	688.5 KB
ID:	81005  

Name:	100_2869_1.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	660.6 KB
ID:	81007   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2872_1.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	455.6 KB
ID:	81008  

AIR # 22776
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:41 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thanks

Gene, Greg, Tom,

Thanks for your comments, commisurations, and similar incidents.....nice to know that we are often in the same boat (trailer). It's also nice to know that someone is reading about our adventures.

We're settled into (hot) Vegas.....more about this place, etc. tomorrow.

Chief

AIR # 22776
Old 05-28-2009, 10:18 AM   #63
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
No need to post about that...you know what they say..."What happens is Vegas..." Well maybe we would like to know!!!!!!!

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:43 AM   #64
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Days 19-21

Our trip from Zion to Vegas was uneventful, with the exception of the traffic in Vegas. There is a lot of road construction on I-15 and it is a mess……you know how much fun it is to drive through those areas with the Airstream inches away from the concrete barriers….and these people don’t pay much attention to the speed limits, even when the fines are doubled in construction zones. Day 19 was devoted mostly to household chores….the truck and Airstream were so dirty that we spent $20 at the car wash getting things cleaned up…..don’t know how many quarters went into the laundry machines, as we had accumulated quite a bit of dirty laundry. We did manage to get into the pool to cool off in the afternoon. At first glance, this RV Park (billed as a resort) looks great…..it is in excellent condition……and, is huge. But, there are a few irritants for me…..whoever designed the spots didn’t know where to place the picnic tables, the sprinkler system comes on around dark with no warning (nice little surprise for Jenn when she stepped out the door) and they charge $6.00 per day extra for really lousy wi-fi. Why am I bitchin…..well, for $51 per nite, I figure wi-fi should be included. I suppose their energy costs must be sky-high, as our AC runs constantly from around 8:00 AM until 10:00 PM….and, this 13.5 can hardly keep the trailer cool…..if we spent much time out here, we would have to change the AC out for something bigger.

Day 20 was our “stepping out” day of the whole trip. In the morning we had to run out to Nellis AFB to stock up on groceries, etc. and to purchase discounted tickets for the “Le Reve” show at the Wynn…..good thing as those babies are expensive. In the afternoon, Jenn and I elected to take a cab to the Wynn versus driving the truck and risk the loss of all the gear and generators. We pigged out at the Wynn’s buffet before attending the show. Le Reve is the most extraordinary performance we have ever seen…..difficult to describe….kinda like Cirque de Solei on steroids, but performed over/under water. The stage in the Wynn must have costs millions, and the cast of acrobats/gymnasts/dancers/swimmers are truly gifted athletes. All I can really say is that if you ever have a chance to see this show…..do it….you won’t be disappointed.

Day 21 is going to be a “down” day….to use a military term. We’re just going to be lazy, hang around the pool, and burn something on the grill in the afternoon. BTW, for the record…..I wouldn’t want to live in Vegas.

Next stop is Williams, AZ…..my favorite Western town.

Chief

Pic #1: Our site at the Oasis RV Park & Resort
Pic #2: One of the two pools at the park
Pic #3: Did I mention that it is hot
Pic #4: Night on the town…what stays in Vegas is your money
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_2884_1.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	393.9 KB
ID:	81092   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2880_1.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	438.6 KB
ID:	81093  

Name:	100_2889_1.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	81094   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2901_1.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	431.8 KB
ID:	81095  

AIR # 22776
Old 05-29-2009, 09:13 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We like Williams, AZ, but watch out for that VERY nice RV park which is right next to the train tracks! We are heading west next year, have enjoyed all the posts about where to go and what to see. Travel safe.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:55 AM   #66
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Chief, I agree the 13,500 A/C doesn't do it when it gets into the 90's. We have the same Safari you do. I think all the windows are a problem plus the three roof windows—the skylight and the two Fantastic Fans. The skylight shade helps and the tinted plastic on the fans helps, but all together, quote a lot of heat still gets in.

So far, I have hardly gone anywhere and paid for wireless. I figure I'll get it somewhere else later. When motels started offering it, some of them charged for it, but the mid range motels are free now and only the resorts and luxury hotels charge for wireless. "Resorts" also may have a bunch of other nuisance fees, so we avoid them when we can, but sometimes you can't. Some campgrounds that call themselves "resorts" seem to me to have a rather loose definition of that word. I think you're right to complain, but when I do, they don't care. My favorite was a motel that charged some fee because they claimed they were in some sort of special gov't district; I checked state records and could find no such district.

What's that cool temp. monitor? We have a little unit that sits on the dinette table and we put the monitor in the bumper compartment (that way we can't forget it as another Forum member did with his and whose name I won't disclose). It tells the temp and humidity and hi and lo temps. Works fine except when the sun is on the bumper, but your unit looks a lot nicer.

Have you noticed any difference with the Centramatics? I plan to check tire wear with a tread gauge to see if there's any change in wear patterns, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:21 PM   #67
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Gene,

This place has comment cards all over.....you can bet that they won't like mine. Even the young lady, working in their store, told me that I should complain about having to pay for wireless.

The temp display in the picture is actually the overhead console in our Dodge truck....Jenn snapped the pic as we were driving in traffic on the Interstate. I do have one of the atomic clocks (that shows, date, time, temp, etc) mounted on the wall over the television. The temp sensor is mounted behind the folding door step....attempting to protect it from road spray......it works fairly well to show the outside temp. The auto time reset for the clock does not work....probably due to the metal in the trailer.

Centramatics.....who knows if they're doing their job.....kinda like Homeland Defense.....nothing bad has happened yet. I am a bit paranoid about checking the tires.....most of the paranoia is a result of reading about others' experiences with Marathons. The tires appear to be wearing evenly.

Chief

AIR # 22776
Old 05-29-2009, 02:25 PM   #68
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Man you make me want to go West young man...go WEST!!!!

You guys have a great rest of the trip!

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 07:17 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Panama City Beach , Florida
Ron, we've really enjoyed living your trip through our computer (now that we've caught up!). Great pictures! Have a safe trip as you find your way back to Florida. Say hi to Jennifer.
AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Luckyducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:47 AM   #70
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
A trip of a lifetime! Great pictures too. Did you notice who made the shuttles used at Zion? Thanks for sharing

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:04 PM   #71
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
We have an exterior temp monitor that came with a sleeve to slide the monitor into. I think my wife got it at Camping World a few years ago just before getting the Airstream. We used self adhering Velcro to attach the sleeve to the side of the Airstream just to the right of the door. That way we wouldn't forget to remove it before we hit the road. Anyway, that way it is covered by the awning during the day and we can grab it to remove it before pulling out for a journey and we attach it just inside the door while in transit so that we won't forget to mount it outside the door when we arrive at the camp site. The interior monitor is mounted with Velcro just inside the door also.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:22 PM   #72
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Days 22-23

Day 22 was a happy day, as we put Vegas in our rearview mirror……without someone’s hand in our pocket. We had made this same drive from Vegas to the Grand Canyon about three years ago, and construction was quite heavy in the Hoover Dam area……a lot has changed, but the heavy-duty construction is still ongoing requiring big trucks to detour. Every vehicle is stopped for inspection by the Homeland Defense guys…..the one that inspected the Airstream mentioned that “he really liked looking inside these things.” When we got to Seligman, AZ I decided to get off the Interstate and drive old Route 66 for awhile…..just so I could say I did. It was probably 30-40 miles, of some not-so-smooth road…..but, it did instill a feeling of nostalgia…..trying to envision who/what had traveled this road many years ago. Vegas had given us temps around 100….when we arrived at the campground in Williams it was around 51 degrees, windy, and rainy. After getting set up, Jenn and I decided to take advantage of the Railway hotel’s hot tub (available to campground guests) before everyone returned from their railroad trip to the Grand Canyon…..it sure felt good. The Grand Canyon Railway campground is very new…..lots of sites…..but, it is very close to an active rail line. I only heard one train last night…..probably the hot tub knocked me out.

Day 23 had us touring downtown Williams…..love this little place. Spent some time talking to the friendly shop owners and going through all the souvenirs…..they actually have some neat stuff that is not over-priced. We then decided to take a side trip over to Sedona, AZ (about 80 miles one-way) because we had heard how nice it was. The drive over, on a secondary road through the canyons, was beautiful. And, the town is neat….undergoing some major road surgery with more roundabouts than I have seen anywhere since Europe. The beauty of the place was ruined for me when we discovered what a “tourist trap” it was…..only a few restaurants to choose from……all over-priced. We decided, rather than contribute to this madness, we would delay lunch until we were back around Flagstaff……ole Ron was ready for that Big Mac by 2:30

Tomorrow we begin a journey to Carlsbad Caverns, with an overnite stop in Albuquerque.

Chief

Pic #1: New bridge being built over Hoover Dam
Pic #2: Burma Shave sign on Route 66
Pic #3: Cruisers drive-in, Williams, AZ
Pic #4: The drive to Sedona, AZ
Pic #5: Sedona, AZ parking lot
Pic #6: GC Railway Campground site
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_2928_1.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	223.3 KB
ID:	81260   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2938_1.jpg
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	81261  

Name:	100_2958_1.jpg
Size:	237.6 KB
ID:	81262   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2967_1.jpg
Size:	677.5 KB
ID:	81263  

Name:	100_2984_1.jpg
Size:	343.2 KB
ID:	81265   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2999_1.jpg
Size:	307.4 KB
ID:	81266  

AIR # 22776
Old 05-31-2009, 08:30 PM   #73
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
A trip of a lifetime! Great pictures too. Did you notice who made the shuttles used at Zion? Thanks for sharing
Thanks for the comment. Unfortunately, I didn't see who made the Zion shuttles......most of the time we were looking up. I just know that they were very comfortable, ran on-time, and were propane powered.

Chief

AIR # 22776
Old 05-31-2009, 08:49 PM   #74
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
Thanks for the comment. Unfortunately, I didn't see who made the Zion shuttles......most of the time we were looking up. I just know that they were very comfortable, ran on-time, and were propane powered.

Chief
They are nice arent they? If my memory is correct, I saw a Thor badge on them last year when I was out there with my mom and her husband. The south west is great touring, but I am like you, Vegas looks good in the rear view.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:17 AM   #75
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Unfortunately, your photos from post #72 are missing. Could you repost? I'd like to see the Hoover Dam and Grand Canyon Railway Campground site.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 06-02-2009, 06:36 PM   #76
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Missing Pics from previous post (I hope)

Repost of pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
Day 22 was a happy day, as we put Vegas in our rearview mirror……without someone’s hand in our pocket. We had made this same drive from Vegas to the Grand Canyon about three years ago, and construction was quite heavy in the Hoover Dam area……a lot has changed, but the heavy-duty construction is still ongoing requiring big trucks to detour. Every vehicle is stopped for inspection by the Homeland Defense guys…..the one that inspected the Airstream mentioned that “he really liked looking inside these things.” When we got to Seligman, AZ I decided to get off the Interstate and drive old Route 66 for awhile…..just so I could say I did. It was probably 30-40 miles, of some not-so-smooth road…..but, it did instill a feeling of nostalgia…..trying to envision who/what had traveled this road many years ago. Vegas had given us temps around 100….when we arrived at the campground in Williams it was around 51 degrees, windy, and rainy. After getting set up, Jenn and I decided to take advantage of the Railway hotel’s hot tub (available to campground guests) before everyone returned from their railroad trip to the Grand Canyon…..it sure felt good. The Grand Canyon Railway campground is very new…..lots of sites…..but, it is very close to an active rail line. I only heard one train last night…..probably the hot tub knocked me out.

Day 23 had us touring downtown Williams…..love this little place. Spent some time talking to the friendly shop owners and going through all the souvenirs…..they actually have some neat stuff that is not over-priced. We then decided to take a side trip over to Sedona, AZ (about 80 miles one-way) because we had heard how nice it was. The drive over, on a secondary road through the canyons, was beautiful. And, the town is neat….undergoing some major road surgery with more roundabouts than I have seen anywhere since Europe. The beauty of the place was ruined for me when we discovered what a “tourist trap” it was…..only a few restaurants to choose from……all over-priced. We decided, rather than contribute to this madness, we would delay lunch until we were back around Flagstaff……ole Ron was ready for that Big Mac by 2:30

Tomorrow we begin a journey to Carlsbad Caverns, with an overnite stop in Albuquerque.

Chief

Pic #1: New bridge being built over Hoover Dam
Pic #2: Burma Shave sign on Route 66
Pic #3: Cruisers drive-in, Williams, AZ
Pic #4: The drive to Sedona, AZ
Pic #5: Sedona, AZ parking lot
Pic #6: GC Railway Campground site
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_2928_1.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	223.3 KB
ID:	81352   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2938_1.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	81353  

Name:	100_2958_1.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	237.6 KB
ID:	81354   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2967_1.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	677.5 KB
ID:	81355  

Name:	100_2984_1.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	343.2 KB
ID:	81356   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2999_1.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	307.4 KB
ID:	81357  

AIR # 22776
Old 06-02-2009, 06:48 PM   #77
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
The GC Railway Campground looks nice and new, but did they forget to plant trees and provide pic-nic tables?

We are planning a trip to the Grand Canyon either next year or the next and I'm on the look out for full hook-up campgrounds near and on the way to the Grand Canyon. Hope to discuss with you at the Can Opener in January and get some recommendations along the way.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 06-03-2009, 09:59 AM   #78
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Days 24 & 25

Day 24 was a nice drive from Williams, AZ to Albuquerque, NM. We turned off the Interstate at Holbrooke, AZ to enter the Petrified Forest/Painted Desert National Park from the Western end. Holbrooke is an interesting town….located on Route 66, and apparently a major player back-in-the-day. It has some really interesting old garages, restaurants, motels (including the teepee lodges). A lot of it is falling into disrepair, but it really looks like an interesting place to explore…..if we had more time. Jenn and I had visited the Petrified Forest/Painted Desert about 27 years ago…..she noted that the rocks had not changed much, but that the pictures (of ourselves) would probably look different. We really enjoyed taking more time this visit to view the petro graphs, ruins (how could anyone ever survive in this harsh climate), and old Painted Desert Inn. We had splendid weather, with skies so clear that the high cirrus clouds appeared close enough to touch. Once we got on the road and drew closer to Albuquerque, our luck began to change. Dinner time was fast approaching, and we had been noticing all the billboards for the cheap steaks at the Indian Casinos. Yes, we got snookered….paid $ 10 for the toughest t-bone I have ever had….with the added bonus of smelling like an ashtray when we left…..lesson learned. We pulled into the Flying J in Albuquerque for our first, and maybe only, night-on-the-road without a campsite. Parked in an RV slot, and listened to the diesel motor home next door idle for about 45 mins…..he was replaced by another loud whatever. I managed about 20 mins of fitful sleep, listening to everything from trucks to planes to motorcycles, before I told Jenn…..we gotta move….I would rather be driving than trying to sleep in this racket. We relocated to a peaceful Wal-Mart parking lot (our first ever) and finished the night snoring away.

Day 25…..I knew it was going to be weird day from the moment we awoke at Wal-Mart. There was a nearby Cracker Barrel, and we were the first customers at 6:00 AM…..and, we were the only customers when we left at 6:40 AM…..really strange to have a whole Cracker Barrel Restaurant to yourself. The early load of greasy food, combined with a less-than-restful night really hit me after about two hours on the road…..had to pull into a Rest Area for a nap. Another weird thing…..the sign at the entrance to the Rest Area…..”Watch Out for Rattlesnakes.” When we turned South on 285, I knew we had entered the Twilight Zone. I apologize for previously maligning Kansas…..I have now found a more desolate, and boring, highway than anything you could find in Kansas. BTW, ever notice how gas prices really jump when you drive through an area that processes petroleum products? The day’s weirdness culminated in Roswell, NM…..where else? They have really commercialized their claimed “close encounters.” But, I have to tell you…..I worked in the same building that supposedly housed the “Little Green Men” at Wright-Patterson AFB…..and, these people must have been smoking some of the local “Loco-Weed.”

Tomorrow is Carlsbad Caverns.

Chief

Pic #1: The teepee motel in Holbrooke, AZ
Pic #2: Entrance to Petrified Forest/Painted Desert Park
Pic #3: Painted Desert Inn….welcome stop for early Rt 66 travelers
Pic #4: Painted Desert
Pic #5: NM 285…..”The” most boring road in the U.S.
Pic #6: Roswell, NM….where aliens reside (well, some have green cards)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_3003_1.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	439.4 KB
ID:	81423   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3006_1.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	329.2 KB
ID:	81424  

Name:	100_3038_1.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	242.7 KB
ID:	81425   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3051_1.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	435.1 KB
ID:	81426  

Name:	100_3067_1.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	81427   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3072_1.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	379.4 KB
ID:	81428  

AIR # 22776
Old 06-03-2009, 10:15 AM   #79
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Looks like we are just missing crossing paths, I am headed toward Roswell later today. Happy travels.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:22 AM   #80
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Chief, if you want boring, try Roswell to Tucumcari. Driving across the Staked Plains feels like you're driving the same mile over and over. There was one tree along the way and we stopped to eat lunch at it. We were also buzzed by a couple of AF jets—when they come up from behind, you just about need a diaper!

You should also try the Extraterrestrial Highway in Nevada and stop at the bar in Rachel; this is near Groom Lake and Area 51. Since you worked at one of the alien impoundment sites, you must be involved in the coverup. The space aliens are quite shy and some live near us as they are not bothered by the government here out in the boonies. When they go into town they put on their human suits so they won't scare people. I guess it shows that we just saw the new Star Trek movie.

Keep the pictures and narrative coming. I love seeing other people's, especially easterners, take on all these places near home (near in the west is 1,000 miles).

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote