Old 06-15-2011, 09:19 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
Portland , Oregon
2007 suburban and 22' safari sport mpg

Just got back from 1000 mile trip in my 2007 awd suburban towing my 22 foot loaded wet 2008 safari sport. Averaged 12.2 mpg with lots of hills on Interstate 5. Drove at 62 mph on cruise most of the time and 55 up the grades without cruise. Towing seems to burn one quart of synthetic oil every 1000 miles as well. Avg. Price for gas was $4.06 per gallon. Seems to get better mpg when NOT in tow mode on the flat lands. Saved money by boondocking 4 nights and just paying $10 for dumping and refilling at an rv park in redding. Normally, I would have stayed at KOA.

Oregono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:31 AM   #2

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Welcome Aboard....

Your experience with the combo matches ours almost to a T.

How many mi on the Burb?

Take a flashlight and inspect for an oil leak around the intake manifold and inspect for oil cooler line leaks, 1000mi/qt is not all that unusual while towing.

AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:33 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
1971 27' Overlander
Springfield , Missouri
Questioning my 2007 Suburban in the Mountains

I want to go to the Rocky Mountains, specifically Estes Park. We used to go there before the 1971 Overlander, but we haven't been in the last few years. Now that the Airstream is finished, I want to take it to Estes Park. My 2007 Suburban is AWD 1500 with a 5.3L V8 with a tow package. Anybody think my TV is adequate from Boulder to Estes Park? Anybody know the percent grade of Hwy 36? Like I said, it's been a while and I wasn't towing anything!
Ag'71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master
2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
One thing I think tends to go unmentioned is these trailers appear to be saving about 20% in fuel compared to typical box construction.

The savings are significant.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
It's been a long time since we took that route from Boulder through Lyons to Estes Park, but I don't recall any long, steep grades. Winding roads most of the way, and speed limit around 35-45 as I recall from years ago; but I wouldn't hesitate to take our 19-foot Bambi that way. However, someone who has traveled there recently or lives in the area can probably provide more accurate information.

Regarding oil consumption, we have towed 2000-3000 miles on roadtrips without the oil level dropping enough to see a difference on the dip stick. 1000 miles would seem to indicate a possible problem. Just a comment...
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote