Old 04-23-2016, 11:02 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
I remember folks in Stugis renting out garages with bunks and per head for lawn naps...

Used to be lots of fun... Average guys...almost all blue collar... And occasional fun dealer (no, not bikes)...

Then the fad hit.. Malcolm Fobes showed up with his motorcycle shaped hot air / helium ballon. It all hit the fan.

The folks living in Stugis/spearfish eek out a living most of the winter... Then spring and "it is time to fish"... Gone ate the days where a nice lady let a grubby biker stay in her basement apartment for a week for $20.... But then who would stoop to the level of accepting her kindness....

God rest her soul..

Well... I am choosing to be thankful I am meeting so many folks in my life who may not be "financially comfortable "...but are spiritually comfortable and comforting to others.... You know who you are...

Peace and Blessings..
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 04:47 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Sturgis is a mecca for bikers. I don't consider the super high prices gouging at all, it's free market, no one needs a campsite or hotel room for Bike Week, they want one and obviously are willing to pay for it. Gouging comes when someone needs something, like food, water, generators etc during a crisis or emergency and a store or entity raises the prices only because there is a shortage.

Sturgis for the area is like Christmas season for retailers in the US, either make it then or go out of business.

We will be in the area during bike week this year in Spearfish City Campground if anyone is in the area stop by - doing volunteer work at the next door DC Booth Fish Hatchery and have a free campsite.

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 05:54 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Never went to Sturgis during bike week, never want to; however I did get stuck in a local campground during a biker weekend. Never again. Harley's roaring through the campground at 3:00 AM and "amateur drunks" puking and going antisocial everywhere.

The campground owner sustained $20K in damages because someone went wild in one of the shower houses with a baseball bat or some other blunt object. Every toilet and sink was smashed, plumbing lines broken and even tile on the walls was ruined.

They had one smaller section "dedicated" to regulars -- but that didn't stop a lot of incursions into the area. Luckily no one's trailer got set on fire and about the worst thing was having to hose the vomit and urine off of the truck's wheels.

I told the owner that I expected fair warning the next year so that I could go elsewhere - 50 MILES elsewhere if necessary. He responded that the cleanup cost and repairs to the bath house would probably wipe out most of his profit, and there would be no "next year". He kept his word - so I suppose that the high rates might have a LOT to do with the hard partying damage that is expected.

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:03 AM   #18
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
You can buy the Durango KOA on 160 for $3.9 million or stay at the Durango Riverside Resort (old KOA north of town on 550) for $125 a night. That's a 50 amp site next to the Animas River.

If you don't go first class, your heirs will!
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote