Old 02-20-2005, 06:52 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Attached are photos. More coming of second tire later today.

73/gus
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tire_blow1.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	10472  
Attached Images

Hensley/Prodigy
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 07:14 AM   #16
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by argosy20
When the service center removed the tires for the bearing pack, do you know if they rotated the tires?
The "official" practice is to cross-rotate tires, that is, to change tires from one side to the other, to equalize wear. The problem is, sometimes the steel belts will separate from suddenly rotating in a direction opposite from the way they used to.
Ford/Firestone recommended this for the tires on the Explorer, with extremely undesirable results.
Most owner's manuals through the mid 1990's recommend front to rear rotation only, to minimize this problem.
If the tires were in fact cross-rotated, I would very strongly advise replacing the other two tires as soon as possible.
that was my first thought when i read this last night.

odd that you would have no problems for so many miles, then this happens after your trip to the dealer!

john

Old 02-20-2005, 07:22 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
This is probably completely irrelevent, but I drove between El Paso and Las Cruces several times last week. There was nasty stuff all over the road on the west side of EL Paso. At one point, I came up on a car off in the median with two flats. A huge hunk of rubber, presumably from one of those tires was thrown into my windshield by another car. It might be possble that you just ran over something sharp, but I suppose you probably would have seen anything like that coming.
Old 02-20-2005, 07:25 AM   #18
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j54mark
Be that as it may, I don't use them. I'd rather not get into my brand/your brand arguements, but I went with the recommendation of a shop that has been very trustworthy.

Mark

c'mon. don't leave me hanging, here. I'm in the market for tires, and for some reason, ST rated tires don't seem to be the easiest thing to find. One very large, well known national tire chain I visited told me "we don't sell trailer tires".

um...ok.

so: as long as we're on the subject, what are the choices? who else makes a well-reputed ST tire?
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 08:10 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
All are "D" rated, including two that blew.

Attached are two more pictures.

One is of the first tire and the tread that came off. You can see that the entire tread separated in one piece (Size looks funny because of the way I hung it, but it is that piece.)

Second is what we found last night when we drove into the park. Dented panel just behind the tire that will probably need replacing. Not too bad though given the circumstances.

Checked the tires with gauge this morning. Remainder are 64 psi cold. Will get new gauge at WalMart shortly.

73/gus
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tire_blow1_tire_tread.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	10474   Click image for larger version

Name:	tire_blow2.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	10475  

Hensley/Prodigy
Old 02-20-2005, 08:24 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Another brand if interested....

Here is a link to a thread on another brand tire that I am using......

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ead.php?t=4178
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
1967/8 Overlander International Twin w/ bunk/s.
Yes, four kids and two adults in the thing.
Happy wife, happy life.
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 09:31 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Scary stories! I'm still running the original "C-rated" Goodyear Marathons with my 2000 30' Excella. I repacked the bearings last summer - possibly for the first time since the trailer left the factory (---I'm the second Owner.) The hubs had previously been packed by someone who "filled" the entire hub with grease! I checked the wear on the tires and remounted them in their original location. I run 50 psi per the Owner's manual and I check the tires religiously prior to every departure with a high quality truck tire gauge. The pressure hardly ever budges or shows any variance from tire to tire. The trailer rides dead level when hooked up and I'm well within my weight limits. The only thing I have not been able to do is to check the weight from side to side. That said, the margin of safety on the net wheel load probably precludes any likelihood that I'm overweight on one side or the other.

The one remaining procedure I follow religiously is that I conduct a temperature check of the tires and axles every time I stop for fuel or to take a break. This is done using a Raytek temperature gauge with a lazer pointer. It only takes a minute or so as all I am looking for is any unusual temperature differentials that might indicate a loss of air. It's accurate enough that I can consistantly expect the right front tire of the trailer to be slightly higher in temperature due to the heat from the truck exhaust! I also check the tires on the truck at the same time - as differential temperatures ("pressure") with dual tires can be a matter of real concern.

Finally, most of my driving is in relatively cool climates - even though we're presently spending the Winter in Florida. I normally drive about 60 mph - but I've spent many hours at 65-70 without noticing any real difference in tire temperatures. I've been towing trailers for most of my adult life and, to date (---at the tender young age of 65!) I've never experienced a tire blow out! I hope that my luck continues as, aside from any and all precautions you take, it can still happen!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 09:51 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Kirkwood , Missouri
I wonder if this 2004 axle recall may play into your problem? If these axles have a problem, those tire could have heated up past designed temp. There are many variables that do need to be looked at. The great thing about this site is the input of many open our minds up to thoughts we may not of come up with on our own. We can not over look the possiblity on a common thread possibly. Tire pressure monitors have been on my mind, on both our flate tires we felt nothing in the truck. The first we found as we pulled up to camping area. The second a passing motorist brought our attention too. Nether incident produced body damage. The couple we meet from Colorado did experince damage that a believe the dealer back home addressed. After his second flate I believe a Goodyear dealer changed all his tires because he was aware of a tire problem. I'm not sure this type of backing would be found in smaller tire companies, and Goodyear is a Nation or world wide player, with great support coverage. For me this is reassuring. I realize we are seeing our share of concerns in problems with our newer units. However as a business person in the plumbing industry we see more defective products from major players in the last ten years then we ever did before. The manufactures try to keep cost down to remain competive only to find ill side effects down the rode. The one thing I do know as an Airstream believer, we are in a group of speical folks and yet to meet an Airstream person who did not seem to be part of a special family.
airstreamer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 10:00 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Kirkwood , Missouri
Dear Cracker,
I too check for irregularites in tire temp. I was told those "C" rated tires are incorrect for the 30' classic. I would investigate it before its a problem, and that the thought of just being lucky may not be fun on your next trip. May be your climite subjects your to cooler road surfaces, who knows??? Be safe investigate now.
airstreamer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 11:08 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
The two tires that blew are Goodyear Marathons, DOT PDHH ML0R 1703 ST 225/75R15 Load range D. The other two are the same.

The Spare is the only diffefrent DOT number - ending 1503.

Can't find anything on Goodyear site about Marathon recall for these DOT numbers.

73/gus
Hensley/Prodigy
Old 02-20-2005, 11:21 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Flat

Last weekend I ran over an upturned rake in the road pulling my CCD. Thought I had missed it but about 5 minutes later the Pressure Pro remote tire sensor started beeping. Pulled over and saw a slit in the side wall that was slowly leaking air. I'm now thankful I purchased the system & I'd sure recommend something to alert one of a tire problem rather than waiting for smoke, another driver or more damage to occur. I bought the sensors for all 4 trailer tires as well as for my Suburban. They alarm if PSI changes by 12 or 14% in any tire.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 11:22 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Could brakes do it?

We've had two bearing re-packs - Dec 2003 and Nov 2004 (done under recall notice).

Is there something common between the curb rear and street front tires - maybe like brake circuits? Brakes felt right, indicators on Prodigy brake unit normal, run with no brake boost, and we didn't see any smoke.

We had N Dallas RV check the brakes last time in, and they said we were in good shape.

73/gus
Hensley/Prodigy
Old 02-20-2005, 11:28 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
Tin Hut,What is the price or the leak detecters,I have not heard or them,they sound like a must have,Scott
Old 02-20-2005, 11:33 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Doran pressure pro sounds like a great deal after this experience. $529 seems to be the price for an 8-wheel sensor and control unit. Bit pricy, but after what we experienced...

Thanks for the advice.

73/gus

Hensley/Prodigy