Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-11-2016, 04:50 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
2 1/2 to 2" reducer HOLES!

This time I don't have a hole in the head. I have the GMC 2.5 inch receiver so I got a reducer for the 2" Hensley. A bit sloppy but it served. So when I went to Baltimore to pick up the Avion, I said "Spit, I left the reducer home" and ran to a local supply house to get one. No problem, it worked fine with the Reese Dual cam I got for that trailer. Four days pass and I change out the Reese for the Hensley piece so I could tow the Airstream - trying to use the reducer I bought in Baltimore... and the holes don't - will not - cannot - line up.

How did I get lucky enough to buy reducers that worked on each hitch as I needed them, but are NOT universal? It's a puzzlement. But I caution each of you who might need one - fit it and match holes before you buy.

Darn another hunka Iron to haul around.

Paula
Old 05-11-2016, 06:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Changed our our head from a 2" to 2-1/2" to avoid using the spacers. Plus I think it works much better all around
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Store the trailer specific towing hardware in the trailer. That way you're not hauling junk that is not needed.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:27 AM   #4
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Paula, there's no fore and aft standard for the location of the pin hole. You might just lock the reducer on to the hitch that it best fits.

I had to cut down a stinger that extends my receiver out from under the truck camper so I could tow my small boat. It bottomed out at the back of the receiver before the holes lined up.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheart View Post
Store the trailer specific towing hardware in the trailer. That way you're not hauling junk that is not needed.
Go see Andy at CanAm in London. He'll fix you up.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drathaar View Post
Paula, there's no fore and aft standard for the location of the pin hole. You might just lock the reducer on to the hitch that it best fits.

I had to cut down a stinger that extends my receiver out from under the truck camper so I could tow my small boat. It bottomed out at the back of the receiver before the holes lined up.
Go see Andy at CanAm in London; he'll fix you up.
And Ontario is a nice place to visit.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:20 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Barrie , Ontario
Paula, there is a simple fix for this issue. The first thing I did when I took delivery of my GMC 2500 HD Duramax was to insert the sleeve into the receiver and then weld it in place, ensuring that the pin hole was lined up properly by using the pin to keep it lined up. A bit of primer and then black paint and you would think it came this way from the factory. 80,000 miles and I have never been stuck without my adapter !!!! I, nor most of us will never need or use a 2 1/2 inch shank. Just one less thing to remember, or get lost !!!

Walter
Walts0731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:29 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Good point Walter - plus those 2.5 inch hitches are SUPER heavy. I've never had great faith in Chevy receivers. I might just change that out for a 2 inch model.

Paula
Old 05-14-2016, 08:22 AM   #9
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
Go see Andy at CanAm in London; he'll fix you up.

And Ontario is a nice place to visit.

Agreed. It's a lot longer way from Texas than from the East Coast. But on my list nonetheless.

Custom fabrication work pays for itself with hitch receivers, and then for dialing in the combination. It's the only way we could do it way back when. But far better than the off the shelf pieces and compromised (by design) receivers of today.

As yours is a married couple, consider this. You'll not be changing them anytime soon.

I had my choice of tractors in current job. I chose the one where fingertips and toes can do the job of keeping it upright and lane centered. Won't pull the hills as hard (the usual truck driver choice), but it's far less taxing to drive.

I made the same kind of choice for the TV where the trade off was no 4WD. And the Hensley hitch.

Dialing it in is an entirely separate issue. Another level.

The slop introduced by "adaptors" is real. So, IMO, consider addressing the issue once and finally.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote